cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Questions about just purchased toad w / existing setup

whatugetemon
Explorer
Explorer
We just purchased a 2011 Honda CR-V to replace an older Honda civic as our toad. It looks like the has been used as a toad before, but most of the components are different than what I was used to on civic.

I recognize the 4- way electrical plug, but can anyone help me identify the other two components in the middle of the attached picture?

Also, the base plate is labeled roadmaster, but it doesn't look like any roadmaster system that I've ever seen. Can anyone help me identify this base plate system or comment on its compatibility with the Roadmaster falcon all-terrain tow bar?

Thanks!
9 REPLIES 9

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Another happy Roadmaster customer!
If you go to factory to pick them up, have them give you a tour!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

whatugetemon
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all. I got it figured out. The base plate is the 1559-1 and the brackets are compatible with my tow bar. I just have to move the bolt-on pieces from my old brackets to the new ones that Roadmaster is making for me.

navigator2346
Explorer
Explorer
That is a Roadmaster base plate. Pull out the rubber plugs and take a picture and send to Roadmaster. They do have a base plate with square tubes that insert into the vehicle plate. I have the same thing on one of my Jeeps. There is a cross bar used with the setup

Mel_Stuplich
Explorer
Explorer
whatugetemon wrote:

Thanks. Are the brackets really vehicle specific? I don't see why these brackets wouldn't be compatible with my base plate, but I don't think they'll work with my cross bar.

whatugetemon
Brackets are BASE PLATE specific.
Your cross bar may not be needed/used.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Brackets are somewhat vehicle specific. Elevation would be my main concern. However they can be used on other vehicles without concern. XL brackets were used on many Stowmaster toad mounted vehicles as the Stowmaster has a cross bar. With adapters it could be used with MH mounted tow bars. Only concern would be side pressure on the baseplate.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

whatugetemon
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
You may luck out and find brackets like these that can be modified.***Link Removed***

Thanks. Are the brackets really vehicle specific? I don't see why these brackets wouldn't be compatible with my base plate, but I don't think they'll work with my cross bar.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You may luck out and find brackets like these that can be modified.Brackets

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Baseplate brackets look like those used for Roadmaster Stowmaster. They used an 1 1/4 inch square attachment.
Look at link for XL brackets.
Roadmaster

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

larry_cad
Explorer II
Explorer II
The one on the left is an air valve. Perhaps they had a DP with modulated air brake available at the rear of the RV which was hosed into this valve to operate an air controlled auxiliary brake inside the Honda.

The item on the right is a break-away switch. That gets hooked via a cable or cord to the RV, which pulls the actuator out of the switch if the car separates from the RV, which is usually set up to brake the toad.

Looks like someone had a nice setup.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog