cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ready Brake

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anyone here use the "Ready Brake" system? I have been towing my CRV without supplemental braking but, my buddy has convinced me that this is a really bad idea (and I agree). The "Ready Brake" system requires that I run a cable through my engine compartment and in through the firewall of the CRV, which I have zero problems with. I plan on ordering it tonight.

He said in NC I might be OK but, out of NC that if I get in a wreck the laws could really make life uncomfortable without supplemental braking in use.
14 REPLIES 14

avan
Explorer
Explorer
I am at Blue Ox right now having their Auto Stop (their version of the Ready Brake) installed. Routing on my car looked 'tough' as did getting two holes through the firewall (for the supplemental and for the breakaway systems) at an angle that is good for pulling straight on the brake arm while still missing all the other 'stuff' there. Seemed like something I'd rather have them do vs. me.
www.putt10.net

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have the surge brake installed now. It's a very easy job. I will get the break away system done next. It looks even easier except that I cant figure out where to mount the cable locking device just yet. But, I haven't spent much time with that. It's hot out so, I'll wait till later to do that part. The ready brake system is very simple and works really well.

kjburns
Explorer
Explorer
Sandy & Shirley wrote:
We are about to follow the same path to tow our 2014 Ford Focus. The problem with the Focus is that the last step in hooking up is to unhook the battery so their onboard computer will not try to change gears while towing.

I just had our 2014 Focus setup for towing with the Ready Brute Elite tow bar and braking. It's very easy to get on the road now. Installing a negative disconnect switch makes disconnecting the negative battery cable a job that takes seconds. Pop the hood, turn the knob to disconnect the cable and drop the hood.
2019 Dynamax Isata3 24FW

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Ready Brake kit is here. I have looked at my options for routing the cable. Anyone mounted a Ready Brake cable in a first gen Honda CRV? Cable routing will be interesting. I have to come around the business end of the engine, avoiding the accessory drive belts and go down under the radiator without touching the exhaust. It will be tight. My other option would be to run under the engine. There's a metal tab welded to the frame under the radiator that I can either use or I'll need to cut off and re-weld another tab. Then it looks like I will need to cut out a piece of the front bumper on the bottom side where it will never be seen. No biggie, I'll figure it out. The breakaway system should be the easy part.

Sandy___Shirley
Explorer
Explorer
We are about to follow the same path to tow our 2014 Ford Focus. The problem with the Focus is that the last step in hooking up is to unhook the battery so their onboard computer will not try to change gears while towing. The Ready Brake Elite is the ONLY tow bar we have found with surge brakes that control a steel cable that does the braking while driving. ALL of the other tow bar / braking systems MUST have electrical power during an emergency brake away event. Again, the Ready Brake system is the ONLY one we have found that can stop the car after it breaks away.

Good luck with yours, glad to hear the comments in this thread that others, who actually have it, like it.

PS: looks like the negative comments are coming from those who like what they have.
Proud members of the S.K.I. club . . . $pending our Kids Inheritance

Their inheritance is now a 2015 Forest River Georgetown 378XL

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
I ordered the whole Ready Brake system yesterday. Thanks for all the comments. I got an email this am that said it was ready to be shipped and could not be canceled so, I assume that it will be here next week. I gotta say that it will make driving down the interstate and through the mountains a little less stressful. I do feel the CRV pushing me when stopping. Hard stops are pretty difficult and I know it's a lot of abuse on the whole business from the base plate to the hitch without some braking on behalf of the toad.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Been using a Ready Brute Elite tow bar with built in Ready Brake since 2010. If I were buying today, I would buy the same.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
mowermech wrote:
North Carolina State Laws, Para. 20-124 (f):
"Every semitrailer, or trailer, or separate vehicle, attached by a drawbar or coupling to a towing vehicle, and having a gross weight of two tons, and all house trailers of 1,000 pounds gross weight or more, shall be equipped with brakes controlled or operated by the driver of the towing vehicle, which shall conform to the specifications set forth in subsection (e) of this section and shall be of a type approved by the Commissioner."

I have never found out which (if any) "types" of auxiliary brakes are "Approved by the Commissioner".

I'm not aware of any standard passenger vehicle that is not equipped with brakes of a type approved by the federal DOT and/or NHTSA, and typically by reference by each state. The auxiliary brake controllers typically used in the RV market however, apparently do not require such approval.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
North Carolina State Laws, Para. 20-124 (f):
"Every semitrailer, or trailer, or separate vehicle, attached by a drawbar or coupling to a towing vehicle, and having a gross weight of two tons, and all house trailers of 1,000 pounds gross weight or more, shall be equipped with brakes controlled or operated by the driver of the towing vehicle, which shall conform to the specifications set forth in subsection (e) of this section and shall be of a type approved by the Commissioner."

I have never found out which (if any) "types" of auxiliary brakes are "Approved by the Commissioner".
North Carolina, AFAIK, is the ONLY state which has such a law. However, as stated elsewhere, many states (and the FMVSS) have "braking performance" laws.
Which, interestingly, brings us to the Section (e) which is referred to above. It states:
"(e) Motor trucks and tractor-trucks with semitrailers attached shall be capable of stopping on a dry, hard, approximately level highway free from loose material at a speed of 20 miles per hour within the following distances: Thirty feet with both hand and service brake applied simultaneously and 50 feet when either is applied separately, except that vehicles maintained and operated permanently for the transportation of property and which were registered in this or any other state or district prior to August, 1929, shall be capable of stopping on a dry, hard, approximately level highway free from loose material at a speed of 20 miles per hour within a distance of 50 feet with both hand and service brake applied simultaneously, and within a distance of 75 feet when either applied separately.

(e1) Every motor truck and truck-tractor with semitrailer attached, shall be equipped with brakes acting on all wheels, except trucks and truck-tractors having three or more axles need not have brakes on the front wheels if manufactured prior to July 25, 1980. However, such trucks and truck-tractors must be capable of complying with the performance requirements of G.S. 20-124(e)."
Of course, that seems to be VERY specific, and it does not appear to relate to RVs towing a vehicle.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
I've used the ReadyBrake for about 4 years, excellent product. Easy to hook up, trouble free, good customer support. I had the box type previously and found the box cumbersome and it would wear down the toad battery. ReadyBrake does not affect the battery, as you are using the toad braking. I did order a new cable this summer as it was showing some weathering, replacing the cable was easy as it just slipped back into the sleeve all the way to the brake peddle. I had it installed by a auto technician as I was afraid to drill through the fire wall in the Saturn...everything was just so close together.

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was talking to my buddy today about RV stuff. When he heard me say that I didn't use a braking system he freaked out. Merely not having the equipment in service is a violation of law in some states. Get in a crash and they will toast you. The equipment will cost way less than the headaches.

mfox20
Explorer
Explorer
I bought the complete Ready Brake Elite system with breakaway in January for my 2013 CRV but have not installed it yet. Getting ready to do so soon. Towing to Bristol, TN in August.
Michael

2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor Gasser
2013 Honda CR-V Toad

ronfisherman
I use the Ready Brake built into the tow bar. Works very well. You also need a break away system that NSA also sells. .
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have been using our ReadyBrute Elite tow bar with an integrated ReadyBrake for over 40,000 miles towing two different toads. Zero problems...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate