cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Recertification of propane cylinder

bigfootgrey
Explorer
Explorer
Refilled a 20 lb tank today and was told it expired this year. The attendant said it could be replaced with a new tank or recertified. The tank is 12 years old and in perfect condition. Recertification is good for 5 years but I can't find anyone to recertify it. New tank is around $30.00 and won't need recertification for 12 years. Sounds like new is the way to go. Has anyone recertified a tank?

Bob
2011 Ford F-350 PSD SC DRW
2008 Bigfoot 25C-10.4E
Firestone airbags - torklift stable-loads,fastguns,Talons Rancho rs 9000XLโ€™s.
14 REPLIES 14

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
Well, it isn't really free since you're not getting a full tank in exchange. You're only getting 15 lbs. instead of 20 lbs.
Ok, yes, but you do it once. Can you handle that?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
KD4UPL wrote:
When my get near their expiration date I simply exchange them. This makes the re-cert "free". I don't know why you would pay to have it done.
Well, it isn't really free since you're not getting a full tank in exchange. You're only getting 15 lbs. instead of 20 lbs.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
When my get near their expiration date I simply exchange them. This makes the re-cert "free". I don't know why you would pay to have it done.

jbbrick
Explorer
Explorer
As said above, take it to Home Depot or similar and just exchange it. I've done it several times, also with old tanks that did not have the OPD valve on them. No one looks, you just swap it and get yourself a full tank for less than the price of certification. Look thru their tanks and pick out one that has a later date on it. I don't do exchanges any more, they short the volume. Take it to a station that refills it or a campground that does.
'06 Itasca Suncruiser 33'
2016 Ford Edge toad

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Easiest thing to do is to exchange your tank at a Blue Rhino site. No questions asked.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

bigfootgrey
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for your help. I'll check with more dealers. The ones I spoke with did'nt want anything to do with a re-cert.

Bob
2011 Ford F-350 PSD SC DRW
2008 Bigfoot 25C-10.4E
Firestone airbags - torklift stable-loads,fastguns,Talons Rancho rs 9000XLโ€™s.

Jim2007
Explorer
Explorer
Yes recertification and filling. Of my 20 gal. Cost 21 dollars. This was done at a bulk plant....good for 5years... It was just a visual inspection . . Seen a little pricey . .... Jim2007
TV: 2016 Dodge 2500 Diesel
Rig: 2013 Heartland, Sundance, 5th wheel

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
You likely won't have much luck googling for recertification places.

Look instead for Propane DELIVERY or better yet Wholesale dealers.. Most of them can either re-certify, or point you to a re-cert in the area.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Any Propane company will recertify them And refill them, amounts to a visual inspection, slapping a dated sticker on it, then refill it, didn't get charged for the recert.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
After seeing how two places recertify, I recertify my own now. :B
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
Just trade it at one of those propane exchange places. Get a tank with a long expiration date.

Cheap fix
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mom/Pop etc don't normally do recerts.....licensing/training etc

Bulk Propane DEALERS do and cost for 5 yr 'visual' inspection should be nominal charge.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
recert thread
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yup. Recertified both my 7 gallon tanks this year. Cost me all of 45 dollars each including fill. Any gas supplier, not retailer can do them for you.