cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

rest stops dump stations

Rich_Mar
Explorer
Explorer
Here in Wa alot of our interstate rest stops have rv dump stations. Is this true with other states? Know of a state that doesn't?
rich
32 REPLIES 32

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
Maryland has one at the rest stops on I-95 (northbound and southbound) between Baltimore and DC. Mile marker 37
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

oldcat1
Explorer
Explorer
I have a friend who works for CalTrans. He told me they have had problems with fly-by-night businesses dumping toxic waste in the rest area dump stations late at night to avoid expensive disposal fees. This is why they have closed many of them. Don't know if this is a problem elsewhere. What a shame!
2013 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0
2014 Surveyor Sport 220RBS

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've seen them at SOME rest stops in Kansas, more often on the primary highways rather than on the Interstates, where truck stops serve the dump station need.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Red-Rover
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of states that had dump stations in the past closed them in '08 and '09 due to budget constraints. At that time, Indiana even cut back hours for rest park attendants and threatened to close some parks altogether. Now that the state is "out of the woods" financially, the legislators have found other places to spend.
2014 Cougar 313RLI
2017 F250, 6.2L Gas, Crew Cab, Short Bed

Tom_N
Explorer
Explorer
WV
Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA ยท W3TLN ยท FMCA 335149 ยท Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R ยท W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed ยท 2013 Honda Accord EX-L ยท 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

kohai
Explorer
Explorer
Kit Carson wrote:
Louisiana does not have any dump stations at our rest areas. Matter of fact, on the I-20 corridor we only have 3 rest areas statewide. The state tore down 3 and left 3.

Over the past 20 years Utah has removed some rest stops as well.
2014 Primetime Crusader 296BHS
2015 GMC 2500HD Denali

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
We have them at all the rest stops here in Wa. State because we pay a small extra fee ($3?) on our RV license plates to keep them operational.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have seen them in GA and I think Az (might be CA) but all the ones Ive seen were locked out.

In the west it was because of a couple big Rallies along the way, this overloaded the system so they had to shut it down till it recovered.

In GA, the one stop I visited (Just south of SC on I-85) had vandals dropping hard objects (wrenches, re-bar, that kind of thing) and tearing up the lift pump so they had to lock it.

I can think of a good place to put that rebar.. but alas.. i'd have to id the owner first.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
The app RV PARKY shows a lot of things plus rest areas and tells if they have a dump station.
Here is a search near San Diego CA.

I have used the one at Aliso Creek. Very Handy App to have!
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the states DID have dump stations at all the rest stops. But most have been completely closed. Financial cutbacks and new stricter environmental laws have forced many states to just close them.

Wisconsin used to have them and now they are ALL closed.

The last trip I made from north to south I found most of them now closed. But I did notice that even though the rest stop no longer had the signage up for a dump station, if you drove around you could still find some still open.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
We have been through many states, and we stop in many rest areas to overnight. I can tell you that rest areas with a dump are pretty rare on the whole. I like the idea, but some states are even closing what rest areas that they did have. All in all, the highways seem to be getting less traveler friendly.

But, there are still lots of neat folks to meet out there.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
amandasgramma wrote:
Quite frankly, I've found there are rest stops that don't even have RESTROOMS!!!!!!! Now THAT surprised me. ๐Ÿ™‚

In Texas there are rest areas and picnic areas and some parking areas. Rest areas have restrooms, picnic areas and parking areas do not.

And yes, we used to have dumps at the rest areas, but no longer.

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
I would be sure and check before I depended on one in GA. I have planned to use one to discover as I arrived, that it had been closed. I didn't check because I had used it before. Guess I will always check now, if I really need it.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
brholt wrote:
Washington
Oregon
California
Nevada
South Dakota
Iowa
Kansa
Colorado
Georga
Mississippi
Texas

You may also add Minnesota to the list. They don't all have them, but there are several.

Brian