cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roof level or inclinded towards front or rear for winter?

boston_blacky
Explorer
Explorer
G'day;

So almost ready to park rv for the winter months in the rain/snow, etc. Until spring 2018; i.e. mid Apr., approx. It is parked on level ground and my only question, for now, is: should I tilt it towards the rear or maybe tip it (roof) slighly down in front?

Your call and thanks in advance for your advise.

p.s. It is not level and I can see water pools around the skylight edges.:E
BOSTON BLK
16 REPLIES 16

rickeoni
Explorer
Explorer
On my TC the manual states to store it nose high, so I store the fiver the same way.
2008 F450
2007 Adventurer 85WS
2012 Haulmark "The Garage"
2016 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak 26 RKS

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
ksg5000 wrote:
Where's it prone to leaking? I have Class C RV which tend to have water issues in the front cab area ... I park my rig with the front a couple of inches higher than the back - still well within specs on fridge for my length rig.
Side to side being level is the gold standard test in gas absorption RV refers. Front to back being level, matters little.

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
RVs were aerodynamically designed favoring rainwater to the rear. My coach always is parked to drain to the rear. Much less chance of water intrusion that way.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mine is slightly tilted to the rear, but that's only because that's the lay of the land where I store it. I don't think it really matters too much, but just offhand I'd say tilted either forward or rearward would help drain the water off the roof. That seems like a good thing.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dennis12 wrote:
If your refrigerator will be on you will want your unit level.

You want it level within something like three degrees, which doesn't sound like much but actually is quite a bit out of kilter. It does not need to be leveled with micrometer accuracy. Having one side of the RV a few inches lower than the other does not exceed this angle. (For an axle that's seven feet long, two inches difference between the ends works out to just about exactly one degree of slope.)

In my experience, the shower doesn't drain well (depending on the direction of lean), it's hard to cook things due to the pan being slanted, and walking around is a bit irksome well before the fridge is beyond its operating specs.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Where's it prone to leaking? I have Class C RV which tend to have water issues in the front cab area ... I park my rig with the front a couple of inches higher than the back - still well within specs on fridge for my length rig.
Kevin

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
If your refrigerator will be on you will want your unit level.
Dennis Hoppert

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
Front or Rear - six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nose down when storing our TT.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Every ones RV parking may not be the same. My FW is parked on side of down sloping driveway. I let the front down in Winter to same slope as drive way. This allows the snow melt (water) to run out of roof, slide, and awning gutters, rather than refreezing in them.

Jerry

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would tilt it myself. Which way does not matter.. Just enough that water runs off well.. Snow is likely to stick around some but as it melts you want it to go by by not lay about molding,.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Whichever direction is easier should be fine, broadly speaking.

I tend to prefer to have my class C tilt towards the back for long-term storage rather than towards the front simply because I'd rather have less water collecting around the cabover section in case a leak should develop there. The cabovers have a lot of seams and such that make them a common site of leaks--at least the ones built like mine is do.

It is also very nice if you can arrange things so the water from the roof doesn't all descend right in front of the entry door!

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
I keep my trailer in a barn, but if I kept it outside, I would want it draining off the back rather than on the front battery box and propane tanks.

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Front or rear tilt don't matter, just so long as it's tilted one way or another. I tend to tilt mine back even in the summer to let the rain run off.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB