cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Fuel Issues & Prices - Post 'Em Here!

Dick_A
Explorer
Explorer
All other fuel threads will be automatically deleted. ๐Ÿ™‚
2009 Tiffin 43QBP Allegro Bus
RoadMaster Sterling Tow Bar
US Gear UTB
Ford Explorer Sport Toad
WA7MXP
"Pisqually" the attack kitty :B
4,897 REPLIES 4,897

macira
Explorer
Explorer
About fuel pumps.. Check out the "hot fuel" issue. Pumps do not adjust for temperature. On a hot day there is less fuel in a gallon.
I think this has been an issue with trucking for some time.
Mac USAF retired
2001 Seaview 32 ft model 8311
Ford f53
2007 HHR
Brake buddy
Falcon2 Towbar

TxTwo
Explorer
Explorer
This is not really a rant or rave about the PRICE of fuel, but I figured it would get moved anyway, so I'll just post this link here.

This article from the Houston Chronicle explains how Texans anyway (and I suspect other states as well) are likely getting shorted of the fuel they buy - by malfunctiong gas/fuel pumps - which just adds insult to injury to those angry about high fuel prices.

How can you know for sure - unless your tank is almost completely empty when you fill up - or you are filling a special size gas can, etc. - so you are just at the mercy of the state to do its job. The article states that the state only checks pump measurements every four years, unless there is a specific complaint.

Link is: Here
TxTwo

RetiredArmy
Explorer
Explorer
The scariest thing about the rising cost of fuel is this: A couple of months ago some brainless idiot said that gas would be $4.00 a gal by this summer. BINGO. It's that and more. No these same brainless idiots say that by next year or so gas will be $7.00 a gallon. The other day oil closed above $145.00 a barrel. I believe because of these idiots, oil will continue to rise based on their speculation. I can't blame OPEC or the Arabs for this. Its got to be the speculators. My sympathies go out to Mr and Mrs Joe America. They are losing their jobs because of the speculators. They can't afford to hardly buy groceries. Many of us who participate in this forum have either invested wisely or are on a fixed income. We have parked our motor home in Florida and drive drive back and forth (not on a daily basis) but monthly or every 2 months because we are on a fixed income and overall it's cheaper to put gas in the car than in the RV. Anyway, this comment probably doesn't make much sense so I will get off my soapbox and enjoy the rest of the weekend before heading back to Florida. Please drive carefully and have a great time. Happy trails.

Larry G.
Brenda and Larry - Retired
2001 RoadTrek 200 Versatile

gorjo01
Explorer
Explorer
Just filled up my F-250 diesel truck before heading out on vacation..$175.00 to fill er up!! Kinda takes a bit of the fun out of going camping with the family. I wonder if this madness will ever end.

CoachmenKen
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know about other folks, but my big issue with the gas prices is not that the actual change in price over the last several years, but the fact that the oil companies are able to raise prices at will, and collect the profits they do. Just a thought.
Ken & Dawn
Our DVGRR Golden rescue Daisy

Currently looking for a TT after doing the Class A thing

macira
Explorer
Explorer
As to the suggestion of writing to ones representative or senator, I suspect unless a large amount of cash is enclosed the letter won't even be read.
Mac USAF retired
Ford f53
2007 HHR
Brake buddy
Falcon2 Towbar

macira
Explorer
Explorer
"Conserve a bit" sounds like the old deal where folks need to suffer to be good folks..balogna!!
Probably a real bad toothache would be really good!!
Mac USAF retired
Ford f53
2007 HHR
Brake buddy
Falcon2 Towbar

Hurricaner
Explorer
Explorer
It's 3000 miles, give or take, across this great country. At 10 miles/gallon that's 300 gallons. If fuel were 1/2 of what it is now, that would be $2.25 for me (diesel). Multiply that by the 300 gallons and you have a $750 difference for the increased cost. If it takes you 3 months to make the trip, that's $250/month increased cost maximum. If we watch it by not eating out so much and using some good judgment in spending, we can save that and more. What's the problem with staying with our plans and just conserving a bit?
Unfortunately it does not work like that. It would be great if the only thing that went up is the gas we put in our RVs but that ain't what happens. Food, taxes and everything else will go up 10 to 20 percent. It will also cost you at least an extra grand in your everyday vehicle. So, by the time you add everything up you're not down 750 dollars, you're down 5 grand.

Sam
Sam & Kari
Hurricane, Utah

2019 Winnebago Sightseer 33C

ML
Explorer
Explorer
SusiDave wrote:
Folks:

It's 3000 miles, give or take, across this great country. At 10 miles/gallon that's 300 gallons. If fuel were 1/2 of what it is now, that would be $2.25 for me (diesel). Multiply that by the 300 gallons and you have a $750 difference for the increased cost. If it takes you 3 months to make the trip, that's $250/month increased cost maximum. If we watch it by not eating out so much and using some good judgment in spending, we can save that and more. What's the problem with staying with our plans and just conserving a bit?

Well stated SusiDave, Thank you.
It is easier to complain than to come up with solutions and alternatives. This is a huge problem and RVing is just one aspect of it. Since this is an RVing forum it would make sense that rants, raves, suggestions, solutions would be RV oriented. The Internet is full of political sites to discuss the topic sans RV's.
Every little bit helps, "a penny saved is a penny earned". If you try to solve the whole thing at once it would be too overwhelming for any one individual and never get resolved. Other then "giving up" it would be more productive to see more solutions included here that individuals could start today. Don't wait for someone else to take care of you, it will never happen. The 4th of July suggestion in the video link posted previously http://www.afa.net/newtvideo.html is something every individual could be involved in. 3 days till the 4th, with tenacity... YOU can make a difference.

Have you written your representative yet? Squeaky wheel gets the grease, no postage required:
E-mail your Senators
http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

E-mail your Congressional Representative
http://www.webslingerz.com/jhoffman/congress-email.html
ML

traxtermax
Explorer
Explorer
SusiDave:
Even though this is "RVNet", it's really not about RVing. It's about our country's survival and our lifestyle. Almost evertyhing you can think of is directly or indirectly connected with oil -- food, clothing, shelter, medicine...
Personally, if our economy could be strong and stable; and the only sacrifice that had to be made to achieve that goal FROM OUR CURRENT POSITION would be to eliminate RV'ing, I'd do it in a heart beat.
The ability to "RV" is the least of our country's problems.

Edit: fixed a typo and eliminated two commas

SusiDave
Explorer
Explorer
Folks:

loveshack1
Explorer
Explorer
ryoung wrote:
Hurricaner wrote:
This fuel mess is all speculation and when it comes crashing down it will take some of your pensions with it. The investors destroyed the housing market and this is just there next fiasco. We have plenty of oil for the present market and you will soon see that there is too much crude on the market and the bottom will fall out. Then things will get interesting.

I have been saying this all along. This and all the other past financial fiascos, including the emigration mess, caused by our defacto federal government now run by corporate America. Big business years ago convinced the great communicator that they shouldn't be shackled by government regulations. Today you see the results.

ryoung

I just have to chime in on this once again. You guys are right (in my opinion) and I have been saying the same thing for a couple of years.
YOU CAN'T SPELL TRAVEL WITHOUT RV

sirdrakejr
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a good one to watch:

http://www.afa.net/newtvideo.html

We don't have an oil problem, we have a non-responsive "congressional problem" that needs to be fixed!
Frank
2011 Palomino Maverick 1000SLLB on a 2004 Dodge Quadcab CTD Ram3500 SRW long bed equipped with Timbren springs, Stable Load bump stops, Rickson 19.5" wheels/"G" range tires and a Helwig "Big Wig" rear anti sway bar.

ryoung
Explorer
Explorer
Hurricaner wrote:
This fuel mess is all speculation and when it comes crashing down it will take some of your pensions with it. The investors destroyed the housing market and this is just there next fiasco. We have plenty of oil for the present market and you will soon see that there is too much crude on the market and the bottom will fall out. Then things will get interesting.

I have been saying this all along. This and all the other past financial fiascos, including the emigration mess, caused by our defacto federal government now run by corporate America. Big business years ago convinced the great communicator that they shouldn't be shackled by government regulations. Today you see the results.

ryoung
2018 Ram 3500 SRW Diesel
2019 Wolf Creek 840

SRT
Explorer
Explorer
Hurricaner wrote:

Sam

So, we live in interesting times, eh.....:B