cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Fuel Issues & Prices - Post 'Em Here!

Dick_A
Explorer
Explorer
All other fuel threads will be automatically deleted. ๐Ÿ™‚
2009 Tiffin 43QBP Allegro Bus
RoadMaster Sterling Tow Bar
US Gear UTB
Ford Explorer Sport Toad
WA7MXP
"Pisqually" the attack kitty :B
4,897 REPLIES 4,897

Hurricaner
Explorer
Explorer
Why aren't speculators "manipulating" the market to their benefit now? Nothing else except supply and demand has changed.
Because all the speculators are broke. When oil prices started to collapse they lost there collective asses. Kinda like the guys that manipulated housing prices, you know, the ones we are bailing out right now.

Sam
Sam & Kari
Hurricane, Utah

2019 Winnebago Sightseer 33C

RV-1_2n-FUN
Explorer
Explorer
OPEC says 2.2MB less and what is happening to oil prices. Supply is going down so prices will go UP?

Oil futures DOWN to $38.00+/- right now and RBOB that was just up around $1.12 now in the $1.00- area.

AO_hitech
Explorer
Explorer
ronharmless wrote:
That is not what you said before. You look back on page 104 you said speculators "Manipulated" the market. You also have said "Supply and Demand" had very little influence on the market (I can give you some page numbers if you need them). So I go back to my question. Why aren't speculators "manipulating" the market to their benefit now? Nothing else except supply and demand has changed.

Why? Why does any huge group of people act the way they do? "They" decided the price was as high as it was going to get and cashed out. That's one possibility. Another is that "they" were afraid the economy couldn't handle the price going any higher and cashed out. Who knows.

The speculators are a huge group and manipulated the price of oil by continuing to purchase futures. They were able to do this because they collectively acted the same and continued to purchase futures. When enough of them decided to cash out the price collapsed. This is VERY typical of radically inflated prices; the bubble bursts.

MSGMadhatter
Explorer
Explorer
FUEL PRICES:

Anyone traveling now, unleaded prices in Oklahoma City are
$1.55-$160 just about anywhere here.

I wish it would be this price next summer.
MSG MADHATTER (Life Member Good Sam)
1500 HD Silverado, 6L
Jayco Eagle Super Light 298RLDS (Hers)
Jayco Greyhawk 24SS Class C (His)

ronharmless
Explorer
Explorer
AO_hitech wrote:
Um... Because the price is falling. The speculators are not a small group of people who can make a unified decision. If they buy they are BETTING that the price will go up. Right now, that doesn't look like a good bet.

I suspect that right now many of them lost their a** and aren't looking to do it again. However, they may have made enough overall that they are just waiting for the bottom price. Actually, as fast and far as it's falling, THAT is what I am afraid of. "They" will start buying again soon and the cycle will start all over again. I'm hoping that enough of them really lost their a** and are not interested in trying again.
That is not what you said before. You look back on page 104 you said speculators "Manipulated" the market. You also have said "Supply and Demand" had very little influence on the market (I can give you some page numbers if you need them). So I go back to my question. Why aren't speculators "manipulating" the market to their benefit now? Nothing else except supply and demand has changed.

AO_hitech
Explorer
Explorer
ronharmless wrote:
If the speculators are in control of the price, why aren't they driving the price up again right now and making another killing?

Um... Because the price is falling. The speculators are not a small group of people who can make a unified decision. If they buy they are BETTING that the price will go up. Right now, that doesn't look like a good bet.

I suspect that right now many of them lost their a** and aren't looking to do it again. However, they may have made enough overall that they are just waiting for the bottom price. Actually, as fast and far as it's falling, THAT is what I am afraid of. "They" will start buying again soon and the cycle will start all over again. I'm hoping that enough of them really lost their a** and are not interested in trying again.

ronharmless
Explorer
Explorer
AO_hitech wrote:
ronharmless wrote:
As I recall AO-hitech, you were one of the doom and gloomers, blaming the high cost of gas on speculators. Guess what, as consumption fell, the price fell. Now, if speculators where the cause of the last run-up in prices, why aren't they back running up the price now? Nothing has changes except the level of consumption.

Consumption did not change NEARLY as much as the price has. The speculation bubble simply burst, as it typically does. When that happens the price usually dives to the opposite extreme, just as we are seeing. The only thing I worry about is that it will get too low (if it's not there already) and become a good buy again; starting the cycle all over. Hopefully enough speculators got burned to make them afraid of the fire. :W

Supply and demand CANNOT account for the recent price spike and drop (what's the opposite of spike?).
Then please explain one thing for me. If the speculators are in control of the price, why aren't they driving the price up again right now and making another killing? Even a short term return of 30% would be quit a nifty short term profit and gas would still be below $2.00 per gallon in my neck of the woods. So why aren't the speculators driving the price up now?

AO_hitech
Explorer
Explorer
ronharmless wrote:
As I recall AO-hitech, you were one of the doom and gloomers, blaming the high cost of gas on speculators. Guess what, as consumption fell, the price fell. Now, if speculators where the cause of the last run-up in prices, why aren't they back running up the price now? Nothing has changes except the level of consumption.

Consumption did not change NEARLY as much as the price has. The speculation bubble simply burst, as it typically does. When that happens the price usually dives to the opposite extreme, just as we are seeing. The only thing I worry about is that it will get too low (if it's not there already) and become a good buy again; starting the cycle all over. Hopefully enough speculators got burned to make them afraid of the fire. :W

Supply and demand CANNOT account for the recent price spike and drop (what's the opposite of spike?).

ronharmless
Explorer
Explorer
AO_hitech wrote:
RV-1/2n-FUN wrote:
I am pretty sure that many of my fellow Americans who have lost their job might have some doom and gloom in their life right now.

I was referring to the price of gas/oil only. You'll get no argument from me that the economy is bad right now.

SRT
Explorer
Explorer
Gasoline went up at Sam's Club - $1.51 to $1.66 :R. Assume it went up as Christmas is not too far away.

RVN4US
Explorer
Explorer
Proud to report $1.37 in Des Moines Iowa and hoping for another 20 cent drop B4 we leave for Florida after the first of the year.
RVN4US
IOWA

SRT
Explorer
Explorer
Gasoline has now dropped down to $1.64 in Duluth. Of course, a few miles away in Cloquet it's probably $1.54 a gallon. For some reason gas is more expensive by $.05 to $.10 a gallon. They've had the state attorney come in and check, but no problems found. :h

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
PopcornJunkie wrote:
$0.99 gas is a possibility for some areas. We are currently paying $1.84, so I don't see it happening where I live. By the way, I'm not complaining about paying under $2 because at the high point we were paying $4.50.
Possible in some areas, $1.29 in parts of Richmond, & 1.25 in Roanoke today.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

onrecess
Explorer
Explorer
Well, Obama now says no windfall profits tax as long as oil is below $80 a barrel. I'd bet on cheap gas for a few years, easy. maybe 8!
Tom Anderson
2005 GeorgieBoy 35