cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV security

OhHolly
Explorer
Explorer
About to be first time trailer owners. Just wondering about how folks secure their rv s when they are in storage lots?

Thanks in advance for your advice!
23 REPLIES 23

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

The facility I use requires me to have my own insurance on the unit. That said, nothing has gone missing in 16 years.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer
I hear on the news, some homes get broken in to when no one is home, not all. Same with rvs. Take common sense precautions.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is a **** shoot. If a lowlife wants to rob you, they will no matter where it is. Mine is in my backyard in a fence. But if some one wants in, they will get in. Especially since "Rudy the Camper Guard dog" has gone.
(see sig)
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
We have stored various trailers in storage yards for the past 20 years and have never had a problem of any kind.

1971duster340
Explorer
Explorer
Ask the storage owners if you can park close to the next unit and block your door/bay doors. You'll have to pull your RV out if you need to go inside. Nothing will keep a burglar out if they're determined.
Greg
N5LFH
2007 Chariot

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
Location, location, location, and situational awareness. There is little you can do to keep a determined thief from breaking in. Just like a house, you have windows, but you also have mobility. An alarm will only help if someone is around to respond to the alarm. A friends motorhome was stolen from a beach parking lot in Florida while the family was enjoying the ocean...many years ago. An basic alarm might be useful if the storage facility is manned or guarded. If not, why bother with an alarm. Make your coach a harder target than the neighbors (doesn't sound real brotherly, but it typically helps). Shield windows so someone can't see what is inside, lock all windows and doors, put a hitch lock on trailer, empty compartments, so if the compartment is opened there is nothing gained. (most storage compartments use the same key, or a very few variations of the key). Get good insurance.
There will always be bad people willing to damage and steal for personal gain.
In my 40 plus years of Rving I have had the good fortune not to meet any bad people.
Happy Trails.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well it depends on the location and security of the lot it's self. We store ours in a enclosed yard with 24'hour watch person, video surveillance and key code entrance and exit.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here's from one way to the other.

I lock both locks on the door of my Class A. Nothing else.

My brother, leaves the door on his older Class A totally unlocked.

Neither of us have had a break-in.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
from what I hear from others it is hit and miss. all you can hope for is a tall fence and a junk yard dog to take care of things. I hear several times on here that TT's are broken into and tv's are stolen. best to take every thing and every thing out of it, including the batteries, propane tanks, tv and leave nothing in the TT and I mean nothing. I know lots of people here in my little town who have parked next to their homes that are broken into. I know I don't sound too up beat about it but the thieves will steal your teeth out of your mouth while you sleep