cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV show prices

Hornnumb2
Explorer
Explorer
Our local show is next week, are the prices at shows really to good to pass up. I really wanted to get mine sold first before I jump into another. I see people saying take 30% off msrp but the prices I am getting is way far from that. Thanks Michael
26 REPLIES 26

et2
Explorer
Explorer
We bought our Fleetwood Expedition 40x new in 2013. We were at 33% of MSRP on our deal - 161,000. Listed for 240,000. The same coach today new is over 260,000 and the best deal I've seen is around $190,000. Without haggling and serious discussion and actual interest of course.

We've been hearing that the discounts aren't as big these days. Maybe a better market for dealers? Our salesmen told us at the RV show in MI last week that there aren't as many 3-5 year old used MH's on the market ( which is what most buyers look for). All the older ones have been bought up when the economy crashed years back. So a lot less used ones available leaving the market for new RV's wide open, and dealers able to get more money.

AAFD
Explorer
Explorer
There has been some great advice, I would include you should do your homework before going to know what units your looking at and what a good price is before you site down with anyone!!! And be ready to walk-a-way!!
2015 Thor Challenger 37KT
Towed Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
FMCA member

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
I've never purchased an RV at an RV show/expo, BUT...what I have noticed...it's MUCH easier to cut a deal in the winter months when the weather is cold, rainy, maybe snowy, then in a spring, fall or summer month when the weather is tolerable...Now I know that's regional, but in WVa, Va, TN and NC, all in the mountains where I've lived and purchased RV's, one can work a better deal when sales are slow due to the weather....I've learned this from years of experience and watching the prices through the year. So this weekend while they're having an RV show just outside of Asheville in early February, one should do some price comparison's and see how badly some of these dealers really want to sell an RV, maybe one will get a good deal, maybe they won't...As another stated, the internet can be your friend in this instance..One can use their phone to research information while they're at an RV show..does come in handy.
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
Hornnumb2 wrote:
It would be so much easier to make out this price game if the msrp was the same between dealers. It seems like the dealer just makes up what ever number they want. Looking at the same model on rvtrader there is sometimes a 10K difference. Is there not a site like for the car industries that will give a true msrp? Thanks Michael

I don't think there is. What I have done is do a google search for the particular model and you can get a sense of the average range of prices from the many different dealers across the country. I use that average as a guide when shopping locally. If RV Wholesalers carries the brand you're looking at, you can get a price from them which generally will be at the low end of the averages. The site is also good as you can build your RV just the way you want and get their selling price.

Hornnumb2
Explorer
Explorer
It would be so much easier to make out this price game if the msrp was the same between dealers. It seems like the dealer just makes up what ever number they want. Looking at the same model on rvtrader there is sometimes a 10K difference. Is there not a site like for the car industries that will give a true msrp? Thanks Michael

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
Hornnumb2 wrote:
Our local show is next week, are the prices at shows really to good to pass up.

I really wanted to get mine sold first before I jump into another.

I see people saying take 30% off msrp
but the prices I am getting is way far from that.

Thanks Michael

RV shows - "show prices" are intended for those that "gotta have it NOW".
They are *not* too good to pass up. (= "Pass")

Get yours sold first = Good plan!

MSRP for many RVs is meaningless - *unless* the manufacturer (*not* the dealer) has a site with MSRPs - including avail options.

Soooo - often RVs at shows represent *dealer* MSRP.
Mark it up - offer big discounts.
Smoke and mirrors!

Most RV shows are limited (by the show producers) to the dealers who can participate. (Especially Pomona, CA)..:(
They pay to play!..:R

Consequently, there may be several dealers -in the same area/s- carrying the same brands - who are *not* represented at the show.
(Show = Eliminate the competition!)

The "other guys" often have better prices than the ones at the show.

*If* you are willing to *order* whatever RV you want - *you* are in the driver's seat (even if it's a Trailer, LOL!)

The Internet is your friend.
Shop far and wide for *exactly* what you want.

Then the 30% off is pretty easy to accomplish.
How far will you travel for 30% - or maybe a dealer closer to you for 29%, LOL! - is up to you.

The same "almost" applies to units on dealer's lots - but expect to negotiate.
End of the (any) month is good time to give it your best shot.

TRIPLE8
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I was looking at small trailers on line before I went to the Pomona show. The same exact trailers and dealers at the show were about $2000 more than the online prices.
06 chevy silverado 2500 d-max
2013 Ford F350 DRW
2021 Host Mammoth
2007 KTM 525 EXC
2019 RZR Turbo S
2020 Yamaha MT-07
87 Suzuki Samurai (highly modified)

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Several years ago, my boss went to what CW was calling a show. It was in a parking lot at a big mall. He saw the full body painted Thor ACE there and they fell in love with it. Just so happened, we looked at the same ACE at the dealership a few days before. They were asking just over $100k at the dealership, which we thought was crazy because they had the white one for about $30k less. Not sure on what price they settled on, but when he got home he saw an ad in the paper from the same dealership. It had the picture of the full bodied paint job with the price of the white one ($69k). He didn't realize it, but called them up and told them of what he saw. After some discussion at the dealership and some calls made, they reluctantly honored the lower price on the "mistake" in the paper. Granted, later that year (several months later), the full body painted ones were in that $70k price range. Go figure...lol
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

koda55
Explorer
Explorer
We went with our daughter last year to the rv show. She found one she liked. She offered them what she said was a fair price. They said they could not go that low. I went to their site and low and behold they had exactly the same one on their lot for less with exactly the same extras. I told them this is what she will pay and again they said they could not go that low. It was even less than what she said she was willing to pay. I showed them my phone and they relented and she got it for less that what they were even quoting her.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
The other problem I've seen is often enough a sold unit is still on display. Once in awhile I see one with a sold sticker on it and the doors shut and locked. I'd want it locked up. Don't need strangers running thru and possibly dinking something up that may go un-noticed during PDI.

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
RV shows are nice events to have a look at what's out there, but really terrible to buy at... except sometimes you can get some good deals on accessories. I agree with the previous posts about calling other dealers after you find the layout you like. We enjoyed looking at everything at our local RV show... even answered questions folks had when we were sitting in one resting. Always enjoy the people too at the show.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Islandman wrote:
Michael - Don't think you'll get 30% off of MSRP, unless it an old model, the dealer has jacked up the MSRP with a lot of add-ons (high profit items), or they can't afford to take it back to the dealership from the show. I think you'll be doing good getting a 15% discount on current popular models at a show.

Bought our current Class C off the lot (not at a show) for 28% off the MSRP.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Houston_Remodel
Explorer
Explorer
With the announced layoffs from BP, Schlumberger, Halliburton, and the rest of the oil industry, waiting might be a good idea. More deals may be on the near horizon.
2015 Starcraft Launch 24RLS
2014 Ram 2500 diesel 4x4
Guarded by 2 Jack Russells

Hornnumb2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the advice, I really need to get my trailer sold and a few things taken care of first, I just didn't want to pass a chance to get a deal. I will be going to the show to see the different floor plans but no buying at the moment. Michael