cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV toilet paper now that Walmart is gone?

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking to load up on toilet paper. I heard that Walmart's Angel Soft dissolved well, but recently I have heard that the newer stock does not.

Does anybody have an confirmed new choice?

Thanks

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.
125 REPLIES 125

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:

Thread title;
RV toilet paper now that Walmart is gone?

Wha? Wait a minute! Walmart is gone? Where am I going to camp now? :B
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
We've used anything and everything in my RV for over 40 years. Never had a problem. It all goes down the same with a 3" hose no matter what I use. And believe me; my ol lady does not skimp on TT in the bathroom. :E

Ditto on number one and number two - - naw . . . probably better to say, ditto on both counts!.:W

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have seen many toilet paper tests, and they all concentrated on how long it took the paper to break down when it was immersed in water.

The slowest of 'em.

Well by the time I finish, flush, pull up what needs pulling up, put on my shoes and such go outside and open the valve, it's had time to break down.. Thus.. There are two more considerations and I feel you should (And I do) choose based upon those.

1: Cost
2: Feel

For example. Tethford RV toilet sandpaper.. (Well the last word says it all) is not a good brand in my opinion.

Angle Soft, Scotts, and a whole lot of others just fine.

Generally single ply is better than "Quilted" if you want fast breakup.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Homer wrote:
Walgreen's "big Roll" is just great for Rv's. Wife done test on several and it worked the best of all and is the cheapest--- with most on the roll.

Racefan1
Explorer
Explorer
I have owned over a dozen RV's over the years and have never used RV paper. Have never had a proplem. We don't skimp on paper or flush water. You are wasting your money on over priced RV paper.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Going with the assumption that this many fellow Campers/RV'ers can't possibly be wrong,I left my comfy chair at the computer & went in & re-tested my "New 2X Stronger" Angel Soft, also figuring that only the hardiest backwoods camper (having graduated from leaves & pine straw)would use a single square, I tested 3 squares, in a glass of water, shook 4 or 5 times, & observed that it came apart just like the old stuff.
I will however keep an open mind & give the White Cloud Green Earth a try.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
For those that are seeing an issue with Angel Soft (as I am) I just dumped using the Consumer Reports #1 brand White Cloud 3ply TP. I am VERY happy with the results I got. In many ways, it's even better then the "old" Angel Soft.

A couple things I've learned (or think I did) in all of this:

The RV toilet paper dissolves, the S&B stuff at half the price disintegrates. This disintegration occurs during the flush process. On an RV there is no true flush, just a swirl and drop. As RV'ers we rely on the structure of the cheaper TP to disintegrate given enough time in water. "Stronger" TP may be OK for a Septic System given the action of the flush then the run to the tank. In a RV a drop and sit for awhile black tank may have a different result. All this changes when you move the RV down the road.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

nitrohorse
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:
We are looking to load up on toilet paper. I heard that Walmart's Angel Soft dissolved well, but recently I have heard that the newer stock does not.

Does anybody have an confirmed new choice?

Thanks

Matt

We use the same tp that we have in the S&B and never had any issues. I have my eye on the old Yellow Pages book, but I'm not sure the wife will try it.

soos
Explorer II
Explorer II
docj wrote:
bukhrn wrote:
I still use Angel Soft 2 ply, I see no difference in the new or old, other than the wrapper.

We tested currently available rolls of "Angel Soft" and it definitely does not dissolve as rapidly as it used to. We've gone back to using single ply Scotts. "Septic Safe" is not a meaningful term for RVers since the breakdown of material in a septic tank takes place over an extended time period of many months. RV tanks are emptied far more frequently and it is important that solids dissolve as quickly as possible.

If you have ever experienced a clogging problem with an RV black tank you would not have as casual an attitude towards differences in types of TP. As full-timer RVers we try to minimize sources of problems; using a TP that we know dissolves quickly minimizes the chance of having to deal with clogs.

We also used to use Angel Soft, but noticed a problem very soon after the new formula was released. In fact, we didn't realize there WAS a new formula until we had a clog and then looked at the package. We switched to Cottonelle after doing the "test". So far, so good. We called Angel Soft and they asked us to send them a roll back to do tests on because its still Septic Safe, but septic safe doesn't mean its great at dissolving!
I agree , many people scoff at the idea that the brand TP makes a difference....until they have an issue of their own.
We'll still pay attention to the TP because thats easier than NOT paying attention, and then having to dig in to the black water tank.

Sue
Sue
soos-ontheroad.blogspot.com
Fulltiming since 2009
2012 Mobile Suites 36 TKSB4 pulled by a
2011 Ford F450
2005 Lance 1181 TC- our Vacation Home

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
7.3 psdman wrote:
I am going to do the white cloud test too. I have noticed that the angel soft has been coming out in clumps when flushing the tank. I use a clear fitting between the rv and the hose for this reason and when the tank flush is running sometimes the flow slows to where it nearly stops for a while and then a big gob of paper will gush out. Thanks

This is exactly what was happening to me also. Just last night there was a commercial on TV for Angel Soft stating how it was new and "stronger."

This is the STUFFthat Consumer Reports is rating number 1. White Cloud makes others types also.

7_3_psdman
Explorer
Explorer
I am going to do the white cloud test too. I have noticed that the angel soft has been coming out in clumps when flushing the tank. I use a clear fitting between the rv and the hose for this reason and when the tank flush is running sometimes the flow slows to where it nearly stops for a while and then a big gob of paper will gush out. Thanks

jetboater454
Explorer
Explorer
Never seen the point if the TP dissolves in 10 minutes or it takes 3 hours,it's usually sitting in the tanks for a few days anyhow.
2011 Toyota Tundra DC Long Bed
2001 Harley Dyna Lowrider

sowego
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the clarification. Our newest package of Angel Soft, purchased at Wally World did not have the "new" on the package so our new package is the older stuff. It's good to now White Cloud is a good substitute.
2002 Tiffin Phaeton
2005 Malibu Maxx toad

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP,

I understand what you are saying, that the Angel Soft that is so readily available at Wal Mart is now replaced with a "New" Angel Soft that is still septic safe, yet it appears does not disintegrate as easy in the black tank like the old stuff did.

Disintegration of the new Angel Soft is not an issue with an RV that gets moved (i.e my MH,) but an RV that sits stationary for any length of time (i.e. my 5'ver) there appears to be an issue, at least I'm having one.

I put the new Angel Soft in a bucket of water and let it sit for 24 hours. Paper can still be pulled out of the bucket with no tearing and all in one piece.

Now using the number one brand as reported in Consumer Reports May 2012 issue pg 44 "White Cloud 3 ply Ultra" after just a few minutes in the bucket of water the paper can not be pulled out without tearing into pinch size pieces.

Per Consumer Reports words "...and it's (White Cloud) excellent disintegration is easy on clog-prone pipes." I found it at Wal-Mart for about the same cost as Angel Soft. Hope this helps and good luck.

ON Edit:

Angel Soft that I'm buying is down on the US/Mexican boarder. Your results might differ if there are different factories making the stuff.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
I missed something in the title of this thread," WalMart Gone"? Someone forgot to tell the 100 stores in this area. :h
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund