cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Window is Leaking from the top

tlukasavige172
Explorer
Explorer
I have a fifth wheel and the windows on both sides of the RV in the bedroom which is above the 5th wheel pin, are leaking. The leak is coming from the top of the window. I think the rain is running down the side of the RV and then running through the molding on the windows. I looked at the caulking and it looks to be in good shape. I also put some tape over the top of the window to isolate the problem and when the window is taped near the top there is not any rain that gets in.

So now I'm wondering what the fix is? Do I just need to replace all the rubber molding around the window? Is this molding specific for certain windows or does it come on a roll and you cut to fit? Thank you in advance for any advice.
2007.5 Long Bed Dodge Mega Cab Dually
2005 ATC 41' 5th Wheel Toy Hauler
www.facebook.com/adventurerig
www.adventurerig.com
Instagram @adventurerig
Twitter @adventurerig
19 REPLIES 19

tlukasavige172
Explorer
Explorer
I finally got around to pulling one of the windows out today. I did the butyl tape and reinstalled it. After I installed it I took the plastic scraper and went around the window and scraped off the excess butyl tape. My concern is I have a slight gap in places around the window where the butyl tape is not stuck completely between the frame of the window and the exterior side. I tried to take a photo of what I'm talking about. I was hoping the butyl tape would form a complete seal (I'm sure there is a tight seal lower on the window but I don't like the idea that water can get behind the tape and sit). I've read posts where people didn't caulk after the butyl tape because it did such a good job. In my case I wouldn't feel good about it unless there was caulk over it. Any thoughts? Thanks

www.adventurerig.com
Instagram @adventurerig
Twitter @adventurerig

tlukasavige172
Explorer
Explorer
So after further investigation I found there are some small splits in the caulking around the window on the top. I bought new butyl tape and caulk today and will be pulling the window out. Unfortunately with my line of work I'm only off it's windy or raining. This weekend it's raining so it won't happen until this week if the wind blows. Thanks for the advice and help.
www.adventurerig.com
Instagram @adventurerig
Twitter @adventurerig

tlukasavige172
Explorer
Explorer
No I have not tried the screws yet. I"m going to take some water and run it down the exterior and see if I can find where it is getting in. I don't feel like it is coming from the caulking or the frame itself but that seems like a common route. We will see...
www.adventurerig.com
Instagram @adventurerig
Twitter @adventurerig

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
Did you try to see if the frame window screws inside of the trailer are tight?
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023

rseymour21
Explorer
Explorer
tlukasavige172 wrote:
after 3 inches of rain this weekend

WoW, We could use that here!:)
2003 F250 7.3L
2008 Cougar 292RK

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
tlukasavige172 wrote:
I still have not had a chance to address it. Possibly tomorrow or the Tuesday.

If you take the window out I would put a strip of aluminum tape over the opening with the edges just barely going onto the outside of the trailer and not enough inside to see when the frame is put in. This is to make 100% (or as close to that as possible) that it it ever leaks the water cant get inside the wall. Make sure on the bottom corners you run the tape down and onto the horizontal a couple of inches before putting the bottom strip on so if water were to run down the sides it won't get into the bottom inside of the wall.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

tlukasavige172
Explorer
Explorer
I still have not had a chance to address it. Possibly tomorrow or the Tuesday.
www.adventurerig.com
Instagram @adventurerig
Twitter @adventurerig

trailerbikecamp
Explorer
Explorer
nomad297 wrote:
Is this overkill: Pop the windows out -- frame and all -- then put new butyl tape on, all of the way around. Reinstall the frame making sure you've compressed the butyl tape. Caulk the outside of the frame if necessary.

Bruce

A few years ago we had the same issue with our TT. We did exactly what Bruce did. Stopped the leak and never had a issue after that.

Fix it right once and be done with it.
Dan

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
Did you get this fixed? If so, what did you do?

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

tlukasavige172
Explorer
Explorer
It seems to be the top of the window. It's dripping off the metal frame of the window. When it drips it doesn't hit the glass on the way down.
www.adventurerig.com
Instagram @adventurerig
Twitter @adventurerig

jeb5
Explorer
Explorer
Is it leaking at the top of the window or the top of the glass. If they are Creation windows, you may need new seal between the glass and the frame. If the are Creation windows, send me a PM and I will walk you through the process.
Ford F-350, 6.7 Diesel, 4x4, Long Bed
Newmar Kountry Star 5th Wheel

tlukasavige172
Explorer
Explorer
I taped the top of the window to see if it would still leak and after 3 inches of rain this weekend it is bone dry so it's looking like it's coming from the top of the window. Just not sure where. I'll take a look on youtube for taking the window out and see what that's all about. I want it done right.
www.adventurerig.com
Instagram @adventurerig
Twitter @adventurerig

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Some leaks are more complicated than others. I would pull the window and replace the butyl tape - nice "how to" on youtube and recaulk exterior with something like proflex. However - you may have a leak that starts at the roof and finds it's way to your window frame and leaks into the rig - that requires find the real source of the leak.
Kevin

shakyjay
Explorer II
Explorer II
beemerphile1 wrote:
nomad297 wrote:
Is this overkill: Pop the windows out -- frame and all -- then put new butyl table on, all of the way around. Reinstall the frame making sure you've compressed the butyl tape. Caulk the outside of the frame if necessary.

Bruce

Not overkill, you posted the correct fix. Anything else is a band-aid.

From my own experience this the only real solution. As Beemerphile said anything else is just a bandaid. It is a fairly simple job that won't take long to do. I originally paid Camping World to do this. Since we don't get much rain where I live it was some time before I found out they did not do a proper job. I applied the mentioned bandaids which worked for a while, but the problem did return. Learned my lesson and did the job myself the right way.
2007 Rockwood 8315SS
2004 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax Diesel
1999 Dodge 1500 5.9L Gas