cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RVIA Certificate?

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are scheduled to go to a campground that is going to require an RVIA number. It is a county campground in Florida and it was very difficult to get a spot.

I have never run into this before. Our Camper is an Arctic Fox and when I called Northwood they said they are not RVIA members and use Pacific West Associates to “certify” meeting standards.

Has anybody run into this or have any experience with this? I’m not sure of I should just show up or try and ask them in advance.
26 REPLIES 26

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
LOL!! Let me guess: Jetty Park? It's an amazing place and the closest you can get to a rocket launch - but because so many people want to camp there, they are trying to weed out the party folks and rocket geeks who might show up in a rented U-haul so they can be in the park after dark.

We had gone there with our converted Transit Cargo van and stayed for the day - nobody said anything, but we weren't camping, either (we live nearby). I suspect that a factory-built truck camper won't be questioned.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

LMHS
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would just take a pic with my cellphone of any RVIA sticker on any trailer. The RVIA Standards are a joke. The manufacturers dream up "standards" that they don't even need to follow. It says so right in the front of the RVIA's NFPA 1192 Standard on Recreational Vehicles. I know because I bought one of the books back when I converted my bus.

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
I agree that it's probably just a way to weed out undesirables and a quick phone call would ease your mind. Sketchy folks from the entire eastern US seem to be sucked down to FL, then get stuck because they can't go any farther. For sure they have some unique problems.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Never been asked for a RIVA #. Never asked for the age of our 5er. Have been asked about out pup, slightly larger than most resorts permit 110# but he's loveable.
We do travel mainly early Spring or just as most parks are shutting down in the Fall. I think that may be all about $'s.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

dedmiston
I don't think I've ever received a birth certificate for any RV from the RVIA, but there's a sticker and serial number next to the front door.

I've never been asked to see "my papers" before though.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Another case of why are you asking us schleps on the internet and not just doing the logical thing….
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
I would bet dollars to donuts they won't even check. But it never hurts to call ahead of time and explain your situation and make sure.

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
brholt wrote:
We are scheduled to go to a campground that is going to require an RVIA number. It is a county campground in Florida and it was very difficult to get a spot.

I have never run into this before. Our Camper is an Arctic Fox and when I called Northwood they said they are not RVIA members and use Pacific West Associates to “certify” meeting standards.

Has anybody run into this or have any experience with this? I’m not sure of I should just show up or try and ask them in advance.

Our home park has the same rule but is intended to keep out trashy homebuilt units and really not called into play unless necessary. For what it's worth, I believe Marathon Coach ( high end Prevost converter) is not an RVIA member either. You won't see one of those being turned away
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Saying “RVIA Sticker” is like saying “Kleenex”.

Lots of companies make “facial tissue” but only ONE company makes “Kleenex”. You can blow your nose into either.

The RVIA label is merely a certificate that says the RV it’s affixed to meets NFPA / ANSI life safety standards. In your case the manufacturer chose a different route to accomplish the same thing.

From the company’s website “Your new trailer has been constructed to conform with or exceed federal and state safety requirements. Quality assurance methods and/or functions meet or exceed standards prescribed by ANSI/NFPA 1192 or CSA Z240 as approved by the agency having jurisdiction in the United States or Canada.“

ronharmless
Explorer
Explorer
Are going to chance traveling from Seattle to Florida and not have a spot to camp when you get there? Call them and talk to them, you don’t have to give your name; but you don’t want to end up sleeping in a parking lot with no hook ups.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
The RVIA sticker means nothing as evidenced by the number of issues people encounter. It may be a way to assure home built campers out.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

chindog
Explorer
Explorer
You could probably just give them your PWA registration number. The campground is most likely just trying to keep home built units out of their park.
2014 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2012 Honda CRV toad