cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sanitize + splashless bleach = suds!

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Water from the tank was tasting a little funky and I am late on doing the mid-season sanitizing of the system.

I only had splashless bleach at home. Poured some in the tank and filled with water. As it approached full it had suds pouring out of the gravity port.

Anyone else ever use the splashless bleach?

I'm thinking of dumping tonight and adding vinegar to the rinse water to cut the suds. What do you think?

I know some add baking soda to the rinse water but I doubt that will do anything for the suds.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900
9 REPLIES 9

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
The vinegar worked.

When I dumped the bleach/water mixture it was still foamy pouring on the ground. I added vinegar to the rinse water and the water came out foam free.

Note to self, it is worth an extra trip to the store to obtain regular bleach rather than splashless.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

fx2tom
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Use booze. Ever notice how pouring booze into a foaming coke kills the bubbles? Must be something to do with alcohol and the surface tension.

But then you are wasting VERY valuable booze. I'd rather taste funny water :B
2002 Ford F250 Lariat 7.3l 4x4 CCSB
2007 Forest River Sierra Sport M-26FBSP

Jerallen
Explorer
Explorer
As you were thinking- dump and use a little vinegar.

I use bleach to shock my pool.
Once I hit it with an entire gallon and good Lord- it looked like a big old cold beer in the yard!!! :E
Sure enough, DW had grabbed splashless bleach!! It went away after a while but it sure was funny:)

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
I'd dump/rinse a couple of times - easy enough to find out whether problem is fixed.
Kevin

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
splashless bleach??? sounds like a good way to charge $3.98 for $1.00 worth of stuff. and an ounce of hydrogen peroxide diluted down to what? if that works you didn't need sanitization in the first place.
bumpy

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Use booze. Ever notice how pouring booze into a foaming coke kills the bubbles? Must be something to do with alcohol and the surface tension.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Use an ounce of Hydrogen-Peroxide. It will KILL the bleach and is not harmful to consume.
Works better than vinegar, leaves no taste and is safe.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
I'd try the vinegar + water rinse too. Works fine in a S+B.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Must be some kind of surfactant in there? Never used "splashless" so that's a new one on me. I bet vinegar or lemon juice would break the suds. Listerine original mouthwash has one of the strongest acids, Phenol (carbolic acid). Plenty of rinse may do as well.
Good luck!

Edit: just looked up the "splashless ingredients. Yup, Clorox has two surfactants--cetyl betaine and cocoa betaine.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton