cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Saw an unusual set-up (rig) Labor Day

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Coming home on I81 in VA Moday I saw a south bound set-up I've not seen before. It made me wonder....why?? Perhaps someone could enlighten me.

It was a pick-up pulling a 5th wheel pulling a car dolly with car (midsize sedan).
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M
26 REPLIES 26

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
this has always been very legal.

the tow must have proper weight ratings axle and gross.
(better have a very strong motor).
gassers need not apply. well maybe a blown 454??.

first trailer must be a fifth wheel, ( with working brakes controlled by the tow).

second trailer can be a flat, box, etc, with working brakes. eletric or surge.

operator MUST have a class A with tripple /doubles endosement,

AND a valid med card on them at all times. (due to a size requirement law).

but this is not saying everybody needs or should do this.
for me it is my truck, rv, and my play toy jeep on a car hauler trailer.

not done very often just when needed.

but then my job is driving a rig and have been at it for over 25 years.
and belive some out there should not be allowed to drive even a compact car.
let alone a rv or towing something.

2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun

Tothill
Explorer
Explorer
loulou57 wrote:
We live in Ontario. We pull our 27ft TT and behind that our boat with our Avalanche. We are 73ft, 2ft under legal.

It is complicated here. You can't do it with an SUV, a van or car, it has to be a truck. Weight limit to tow under 10,000 lbs. Over that you need to upgrade your drivers license. It is different for a motor home, truck camper and fifth wheel

We can tow in any province or state with our valid ontario license and be considered legal under the reciprocity agreements.

Not in BC. There are very clear signs telling drivers you cannot double tow in BC. Does not matter what you are allowed to do in your home province.

We have seen more than one boat on a trailer parked on the side of the road just inside the BC border waiting for the owner to return for it.

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
chuckftboy wrote:
Pick-up,5er,trailer with a golf car.
I saw one of these on I81 Monday as well. I wondered if it was legal but I could see why one might want to do it.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
2007 Nash 22M

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
MD, the you can't do anything state does allow double towing. None of the surrounding states do. I have seen the police follow a camper into a VA CG and fine the poo poo out of him for double towing into VA from MD.
Puma 30RKSS

Jagtech
Explorer
Explorer
2nd car is for the teen-ager.....
1998 Triple E F53
1995 Jeep Wrangler toad

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
I live in Florida which does not allow double tow. I have a friend here that double tows all the time, Pick-up,5er,trailer with a golf car. He has florida tags but has never been pulled over for towing that way. Go Figure???
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
OP, I passed this same guy that day up in PA on I-81! It makes me mad every time I see someone like that getting away with breaking the law. Mainly because I'd like to do it but I don't because it's illegal.
I've researched it to death. I live in VA and would love to tow a boat behind a FW but it's not allowed. Not allowed in PA either. If I remember right he had AZ tags, where it is legal, but that doesn't matter in a different state.
I got so tired of getting so many different answers I finally stopped at the VA truck weigh station one day to ask the DOT cops that work there.
They told me that if: the truck and both trailers were registered as commercial vehicles, I had a commercial drivers license with double trailer endorsement, and I obeyed all the commercial driver rules like weigh station, hours of service, log book, etc. then it was legal.
That's obviously not going to happen.
Why was he doing it? Who knows. I can think of lots of possible good reasons. I just hate it when I try to do what's right and see ignorant law breakers getting away with it.
Sorry, rant over.

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
RAS43 wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
The truck is a 'tow' vehicle
The 5th wheel is for living in
The car is for going shopping
Once you designate a truck as 'tow' vehicle that's all it can be used for

That was said tongue-in-cheek I hope.;) Otherwise if I can't get groceries for camp with my "tow vehicle" it will be a long walk to town.:E
Does your "tow" vehicle have the words, tow vehicle - not for hire, RV use only, printed on the sides..:?.. If so, then you fall into a catch 22 situation in some states. Then Old-Biscuit is correct.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Old-Biscuit wrote:

That was said tongue-in-cheek I hope.;) Otherwise if I can't get groceries for camp with my "tow vehicle" it will be a long walk to town.:E

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech wrote:
frankdamp wrote:
Double tows are still illegal in many states (including WA) but, if the state where your vehicles are registered allows it, I don't think you'd get a ticket in a state where it's not allowed.

From everything I have heard, Reciprocity does NOT apply to double towing.
For instance, I can double tow here in Montana, and (if I obey their laws), I can go into Idaho. But I can NOT go into Washington with a double tow that is legal in Montana or Idaho.
Generally, Reciprocity ONLY applies to registration, driver licensing, and insurance.

Yep - just consider all of the commercial trailer lots at the state borders. Many of these exist in places like OH and IN because the driver can haul three trailers across one state, but can't enter into the next with that set-up.

Private rules operate, generally, the same way. While there is typically limited reciprocity in licensure (even that doesn't apply to learner's permits and the like), the traffic rules are determined by the local government and/or state, not by the state of residency.

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
State Laws Can Pull You in Many Directions if You Double (aka Triple) Tow. If youโ€™re going to double tow across state lines, call or check DMV websites ahead of time so you donโ€™t find yourself paying a ticket and making two trips to get your trailers to their final destination. And even check on they type of tow connection, ie a stinger or a ball. One is required in one state while it may not be allowed in another state.
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe they need to move a second vehicle to where ever they were going? Maybe they were going to go camping near a child that just moved away to college and are dropping off a car for him/her. Maybe there were two people in the truck and they will be going different directions once they get to their destination. Maybe they are giving the car to someone. Or returning it. There are dozens of reasons they might be doing what they are doing.

Scratching my head and not at the people pulling doubles.:h
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
I was not struck by the fact that there was a trailer being pulled by a 5th wheel; I was struck that someone would want/need to two vehicles: 4 door sedan and a pick-up (not a dually or crew cab).
Mark & Renee
2007 Nash 22M