cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Saw an unusual set-up (rig) Labor Day

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Coming home on I81 in VA Moday I saw a south bound set-up I've not seen before. It made me wonder....why?? Perhaps someone could enlighten me.

It was a pick-up pulling a 5th wheel pulling a car dolly with car (midsize sedan).
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M
26 REPLIES 26

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
loulou57 wrote:
We live in Ontario. We pull our 27ft TT and behind that our boat with our Avalanche. We are 73ft, 2ft under legal.

It is complicated here. You can't do it with an SUV, a van or car, it has to be a truck. Weight limit to tow under 10,000 lbs. Over that you need to upgrade your drivers license. It is different for a motor home, truck camper and fifth wheel

We can tow in any province or state with our valid ontario license and be considered legal under the reciprocity agreements.

States that do not allow double towing do not allow it....period.

Doesn't matter where you're from or what your license says. You would be pulled over and not allowed to continue until you got a 2nd TV, more than likely a wrecker, to move your 2nd trailer.

I double tow all over Idaho and Montana but would not even think about going into OR or WA even tho I am legal here. Besides a big fat ticket the above would happen.
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
"We can tow in any province or state with our valid ontario license and be considered legal under the reciprocity agreements."

I strongly recommend you check that before coming south of the border. I suspect it is wrong.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
We live in Ontario. We pull our 27ft TT and behind that our boat with our Avalanche. We are 73ft, 2ft under legal.

It is complicated here. You can't do it with an SUV, a van or car, it has to be a truck. Weight limit to tow under 10,000 lbs. Over that you need to upgrade your drivers license. It is different for a motor home, truck camper and fifth wheel

We can tow in any province or state with our valid ontario license and be considered legal under the reciprocity agreements.

S_Sullivan
Explorer
Explorer
Possibly for a job situation? Maybe one of them is a "traveling" nurse and the other doesn't want to be tied down to the 5ver when the nurse is on shift? (Or some other similar job situation.)

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
frankdamp wrote:
Double tows are still illegal in many states (including WA) but, if the state where your vehicles are registered allows it, I don't think you'd get a ticket in a state where it's not allowed.

From everything I have heard, Reciprocity does NOT apply to double towing.
For instance, I can double tow here in Montana, and (if I obey their laws), I can go into Idaho. But I can NOT go into Washington with a double tow that is legal in Montana or Idaho.
Generally, Reciprocity ONLY applies to registration, driver licensing, and insurance.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
Double tows are still illegal in many states (including WA) but, if the state where your vehicles are registered allows it, I don't think you'd get a ticket in a state where it's not allowed.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

Fulltimer50
Explorer
Explorer
When I did cross country leak survey I would sometime tow the company 4X4 truck as described.
George

2011 F350 PSD CC LB 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41RSSB4 5th Wheel

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes a smaller car is easier to drive around an area with small roads or limited parking. Truck stays at the site, car does the touring. Bar Harbor is a prime example of where big vehicles can be a pain. Or, they might need multiple vehicles for various reasons.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
This is becoming more and more legal.. At one time the rules for double bottom towing (Recreational) in Michigan reuired the front trailer be a 5-er and the back a boat.. But they eliminated the boat restriction a while back from what Im told.. So now you can tow two trailers, so long as the 1st is a 5-er
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Because they can??????

Maybe DH and DW need to go separate ways from camp!!! :h
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

resmas
Explorer
Explorer
That'll be us in a few years when we have to move... Easier than making multiple trips to get everything from point A to B.

Would I do it for a vacation - heck, no!
2012 Dutchmen Voltage Epic 3795
2010 Dodge 3500 DRW MC
2009 GMC 2500 DA CC
2012 Smart-for-two (sometimes hitches a ride in the Voltage!)
2005 Sundowner Sunlite 777

popupcamping
Explorer
Explorer
without a pic it never happened

joking

obviously they need 2 vehicles wherever they are going.

Why?....none of my business I figure