cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sedona from Flagstaff the BEST & SAFEST way with a big rig.

daved9664
Explorer
Explorer
Hey RV pals.

I just endured this trip and want to share my route with my Class A big rig and tow behind.

I read that 89A is no good for big rigs and fifth wheelers.

So I took 17 South, then 179 North into Sedona, from flagstaff, this only add about 30mins on to your trip and saves your engine and brakes.

This route is still up and down and mountainous, but is much safer judging from a video I watched of a dash cam of 89A.

I'd say if your full rig is above 30 feet, dont take 89A.

If youre going to sedona, reserve a spot at one of the 2 or 3 limited and expensive rv parks way before. When it fills up, which happened to me, I drove to cotton wood and stayed at a place called turquoise triangles or something like that. it was still 40 a night for full hook up.

There is virtually no boondocking in Sedona. The whole foods let us boondock after we told them we will be doing our monthly grocery shopping there. But we had to leave in the morning because the lot is small...

Secret RV boondock tip for April 2017 - theres a for sale restauraunt right next to whole foods with a big spot in the back. We found it after getting permission from WF, but it wouldve saved a butt or two.

Another awesome water tip. The restaurant "choclatree vegetarian" right by whole foods lets people fill up their water jugs for free. They are on spring fed well water which supposedly has tons of minerals. The parking lot there is too small even for a class C, but you could walk with a jug or two. The water tastes really good... their food does too if youre looking for something healthy.

Thats my experience in sedona from flagstaff..

Cheers friends.
9 REPLIES 9

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
I just endured this trip

I hope you at least enjoyed the scenery!

There is virtually no boondocking in Sedona.

That is because it is specifically prohibited. From the City of Sedona website:
"Camping is prohibited within the City limits of Sedona with the exception of permitted campgrounds operated or controlled by private parties or government agencies, including but not limited to, the US Forest Service within the Sedona City limits."

Thanks for confirming what many of us advised in your previous thread about which route to take. As you found out, I-17 to Hwy 179 is the easiest and safest route. Still have to watch your downhill speed and downshift as appropriate.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
BT,DT.

My nav system directed me to 89A from Flagstaff. Soon after getting on 89A, a sign said, Trailers over 30 feet not recommended 20 miles ahead. I casually assured the DW that we would be OK because our trailer was only 24 feet long. As we entered the steep and switchbacky entrance to Oak Creek Canyon, I realized I had made a big mistake. We made it to Sedona without incident, but never again!
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!

Last time we were in Sedina we just happen to be in a shop in town an got into a conversation with the shop owner about RVing. He gave us a five night free FHU site RV site free at a time share in town. Yes we went to the time share spill, and advised them we're fulltime RVers and not interested. It was a very nice place but can't recall the name sorry.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
daved9664 wrote:

...The whole foods let us boondock after we told them we will be doing our monthly grocery shopping there....

Spending the night in Whole Foods parking lot is NOT boondocking. I doubt Whole Foods built a store in the boonies.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Mod repaired that post very nicely. LOL Cheers to you too op.

If you found this post helpful please send me a bottle of Fortaleza Tequila. ๐Ÿ™‚

Captain_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
Sedona looks to richy for me. You'd think they even have a dress code. Anyway I was just driving thru on the way to somewhere else.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, I sure wish I would have known about the fundme angle. That could have saved a bunch.

BTW, thanks for the tips, don't know as I'll be down that way....
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

azrving
Explorer
Explorer

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
WOW........

Solicitation for private project.

What's next ------GO Fund ME?

ON Edit:
Moderator deleted OPs solicitation for donations and OPs Link so some posts appear 'off topic'
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31