cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Selling a Genny

Dave_H_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am not trying to sell my genny here but asking advice on where and how. Things and times change and i no longer need my 2000i champ that is still like new. Craigs list and face book has had no results. or maybe i need to bite the bullet and get down to 1/2 price.

i would appreciate any advice.
26 REPLIES 26

Dave_H_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK you folks gave me some good ideas. Yeah I did have it 75 bucks over half and I did not have a dozen to sell or I coulda got a dime. :B

It is going back up in the loft of the barn til winter. You all jogged my memory and I am gonna take it to FL this winter and set it outside my campsite and see what happens. I have always sold what i peddled there.

Thanks again all.

Dave

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
SidecarFlip wrote:
azrving wrote:
Champion? You'll be lucky to get half price. I've had one and it worked fine but they're a dime a dozen. Drain it, seafoam it and set it off to the side in case you need it or give it to someone.

Spoken like one of those 'Honda Holy Grail' owners. Fooey.

Doesn't matter if you like them or hate them. Their value, perceived or otherwise is real when you go to buy or sell one.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
JoeH wrote:
If you price it right to sell, you;ll get rid of it on Craigslist in a few minutes.

I agree. You are probably asking too much. Keep re-posting it on Craigslist and/or Facebook, taking $5 or $10 off with each new posting. Once the price point is where people will buy it, you will sell it.

It is a small generator, so most home owners aren't going to want it. Your market is small, so it needs to be priced low to move.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you price it right to sell, you;ll get rid of it on Craigslist in a few minutes.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
good idea donate it to your church, or club, and write it off. or take it to a auction house. and let it bring what the crowed says its worth.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
So far, I've tossed rods in 2 Honda motors.
Motors in what?

One GC overhead cam engine an d one 13 horse overhead valve engine.

Must be that quality oriental engineering. Know it wasn't me, oil changed ahead of service, never over revved either.

Both got replaced with Lifan motors.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
wonder what your doing wrong, ?

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
You could probably sell it for MSRP in my area right now. Five confirmed tornadoes, that's rare for Michigan.

Electric company has restored more than half the outages but there's a lot of down trees to clear out, some are out on luck for weeks yet.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
"Wait until winter hits! Power outages will bring people to your door!
Run an add saying "get ready for winter!
Champion 2000i are pretty quiet at 53 bds.

might work but I don't know anyone with a 2000 for winters use other than me. everyone has big units.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't want to bother with shipping a generator so CL or a local FB page would be my choice. I agree that 1/2 the best new price should be your starting point. Another option would be to give it to a family member, friend or charity. I've done that with a number of items that I didn't think would sell for "true" value. Then you can feel good about it as opposed to feeling fleeced by some flipper or low baller.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
SidecarFlip wrote:
So far, I've tossed rods in 2 Honda motors.
Motors in what?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
You don't have a use for a backup generator?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
midnightsadie wrote:
I.d go $100. and come pick it up. used is used ,and it ain,t a honda.

That is a plus, not being a Honda. So far, I've tossed rods in 2 Honda motors.
2015 Backpack SS1500

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
azrving wrote:
Champion? You'll be lucky to get half price. I've had one and it worked fine but they're a dime a dozen. Drain it, seafoam it and set it off to the side in case you need it or give it to someone.

Spoken like one of those 'Honda Holy Grail' owners. Fooey.
2015 Backpack SS1500