cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Severe Weather Approaching ?

Mike_Taverniti
Explorer
Explorer
What do you do if CG does not have shelter. Fill all tanks for weight ? pull in all slides ? Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.
25 REPLIES 25

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
How severe? Bad T-storms? Tornadoes? Hurricane? For t-storms that may have heavy winds, pulling in your slides does help stabilize. Tow vehicle/toad is probably safer if you have one. Tornadoes-lowest point possible. Head into interior of bath houses or other buildings, preferably made of cement or brick. Hurricanes-evacuate.

Rule #1: Keep a battery operated weather radio handy. You may have a TV in the unit but if the power goes out it's useless.
Rule #2: Know what county you are in. Severe weather reports are given by county.
Rule #3: Be safe, not stupid. Accept that quite often when it's man vs. mother nature, man loses.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
If time - leave the area.

If no time - unplug from shore power and get in tow vehicle.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

bid_time
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'd get in the car and go to the nearest safe place. No way would I hook up to that big box and have that pull me around as its tossed by the wind until its eventually obliterated sending flying pieces my way.

Shadow_Catcher
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Recom weather radio which is used at home as well as when camping, The advantage to the Recom is that it turns it self off after giving the warning and living in the mid west it gets a work out with multiple warnings in a 24hr period during serious weather.
The one problem while camping is that you have to have it set for a certain location (we don't) and you have to know enough about the location to know if where you are is in the path of what ever is serious and coming.
I have a line coming from the battery of the trailer to power the radio with proper plug for when we are boondocking.

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
With enough lead time, hook up and leave.
With no lead time and no shelter, look for a ditch or a boulder.
Seems trailers are always the first thing to be destroyed.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

Moved from Forum Technical Support

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
Campground doesn't have any building? Bath house? Is there a host that could help?
One time we watched the weather and left and headed south. The storm was heading from the SW to the NE. With widespread storms this wouldn't work.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
I'd roll up the awning pick up the chairs and any loose items. Then I'd watch the sky. Having done some spotting with SKYWARN for the National Weather Service I know some things to watch for. Local radar, and a scanner would be on.

Where you gonna run to? Out on the road is one place I don't want to be.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

RetSgt7114
Explorer
Explorer
Steeljag wrote:
Pack up.....head out?

X2
------------------------------------------------------------------
Gulfstream Yellowstone
USAF Veteran
US Army Veteran
Retired LEO 34 years

Steeljag
Explorer
Explorer
Pack up.....head out?
2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I don't have slides, but I'd point the nose into the prevailing winds, and disconnect from all services.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.