cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shame the soccer arrests didn't get they guy who spams here

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
What can that spam idiot who keeps posting links to soccer and rugby sites possibly be getting besides carpal tunnel syndrome? Surely, no one clicks on the links. Sure wish the webmaster would someone fire off a couple of million spam messages back at them instead of just constantly deleting their posts. And can't the webmaster just block the IP address from the forum? Surely there can't be that many different creeps posting the same thing from all around the world to this relatively insignificant (in the grand scheme of things) forum.
33 REPLIES 33

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Jack_Diane_Freedom wrote:
What is a "shigrin"
im sure you've looked at the entire google page by now.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
OutdoorPhotographer wrote:
SCVJeff wrote:
What needs to happen to the shigrin of anyone new and needing an immediate answer, is to simply cache the new members post until it can be cleared by a Mod. That means it takes twice the time to post.
1- to sign up
2- to come back and do damage

Can't hurt..
Btw, this is not a Bot, otherwise we would really have a problem

How do you know it's not a bot? Curious? Seems a waste of time to pay someone to manually post this junk.

Problem is approving posts is labor intensive for mods.
how do you know it is?
Someone, something needs to sign up, then select a category to post, then post. It's not as simple as an email or Yahoo blast.

Since none of us know that business model (at least not me), you can't say it's a waste of time. Don't forget that a LOT of this stuff comes out of Russa and Africa where $.05 will buy dinner.

So what's worse: 'x' number of Mods here approving new members (I never said all posts), or spending the time to delete the spam posts, especially when we get the occasional blast of them ? Right now these spammers get exposure and I guarantee someone here looks at them before they are deleted, and that's all it takes to realize there are eyeballs here to be had.

Approving new members is common on lots of forums for this reason
Jeff - WA6EQU

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
What is a "shigrin"

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
OutdoorPhotographer wrote:
and they're already too busy moving posts out of FTS.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
SCVJeff wrote:
What needs to happen to the shigrin of anyone new and needing an immediate answer, is to simply cache the new members post until it can be cleared by a Mod. That means it takes twice the time to post.
1- to sign up

Can't hurt..

How do you know it's not a bot? Curious? Seems a waste of time to pay someone to manually post this junk.

2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
1- to sign up

Can't hurt..
Jeff - WA6EQU

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
westernrvparkowner wrote:
darsben wrote:
What can that spam idiot who keeps posting links to soccer and rugby sites possibly be getting besides carpal tunnel syndrome? Surely, no one clicks on the links. Sure wish the webmaster would someone fire off a couple of million spam messages back at them instead of just constantly deleting their posts. And can't the webmaster just block the IP address from the forum? Surely there can't be that many different creeps posting the same thing from all around the world to this relatively insignificant (in the grand scheme of things) forum.

The IP address cannot be blocked unless the person spamming has a permanent IP address. Most computers including yours have an ever changing IP address assigned by your ISP.
But their machines have a permanent MAC address. I am not techie enough by any means to figure it all out, but there are ways to shut down these spams. whether or not it would be worth the time and effort to do so is a different question. I would think if the links were actually damaging, it would be in the best interest of this site to be proactive. If they are what they claim to be, which is just an utter nuisance, maybe it isn't worth it to do anything more than just fire off the delete button.

A PC's NIC MAC address only reaches the first router on the network. That router's MAC then replaces it as the packets pass on to the next router, etc. The only detectable MAC at the destination is the last router's. There are ways of detecting a machine's MAC, but most involve installing a hidden program on the user's machine or hacking the closest router to it.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Personally, I just check to see if someone has notified a moderator and move on. Their posts are pretty obvious...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
darsben wrote:

The IP address cannot be blocked unless the person spamming has a permanent IP address. Most computers including yours have an ever changing IP address assigned by your ISP.
But their machines have a permanent MAC address. I am not techie enough by any means to figure it all out, but there are ways to shut down these spams. whether or not it would be worth the time and effort to do so is a different question. I would think if the links were actually damaging, it would be in the best interest of this site to be proactive. If they are what they claim to be, which is just an utter nuisance, maybe it isn't worth it to do anything more than just fire off the delete button.

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II

Traveling with my best friend my wife!

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Too bad the forum does not post the URL for these idiots. Then we could spam them!

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
What I'm amazed at is that the mods want US to notify them.

A post that should actually be moved into Forum technical support.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Jack_Diane_Freedom wrote:
I guess there is not much else to do while living in mom's basement.

Most likely true, as the spammers seem to crawl out from under their rock and become active on weekends. Kindergarten is out of session.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
I don't remember what the security features were when I registered regarding captchas or similiar items but clearly not sufficient to keep bots out.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer

You have to understand that this site's operating systems are, let's say, not the best.

Here is link a discussion that occurred last fall that will answer some of your questions:

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/28007975/gotomsg/28009738.cfm#28009738

Sorry this site will not let me make a clickly this morning.

No surprise there.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006