Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slideout general maintenance

jamnw
Explorer
Explorer
I searched that, but got no results.
I have a new 5th wheel with a large kitchen slide. My TT did not have slides.

What are some general maintenance tips, lessons learned?

Thanks
MARRIED WITH 2 BOYS: AGES 11 AND 13 years!
2000 F250 PSD/CREW CAB (301000 original miles)
2014 Keystone Springdale 320FWFBH
USN Veteran, Aegis FC
17 REPLIES 17

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
My slide is 18 years old and of all the systems on the MH has been trouble free. It is electric with cables, all I have ever done is spray the seals, rollers and rails with silicone spray. I had to use the manual crank once until I found a switch that the previous owner installed.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
youtube
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
utube has good videos to watch on slide maintance

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
leeper wrote:
Check alignment for gaps in the gaskets. If the slide is in, check outside seals and gaskets. When it is out, check inside gaskets meaning top of slide. Should be NO gaps. Are the distance the same on each end. Some times the slides need adjustments at a service shop.

...Much MUCH easier said than done.....agree, if slide needs adjustment, it may take someone that knows what they're doing to adjust it..
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

leeper
Explorer
Explorer
Check alignment for gaps in the gaskets. If the slide is in, check outside seals and gaskets. When it is out, check inside gaskets meaning top of slide. Should be NO gaps. Are the distance the same on each end. Some times the slides need adjustments at a service shop.

jamnw
Explorer
Explorer
Electric slide!
MARRIED WITH 2 BOYS: AGES 11 AND 13 years!
2000 F250 PSD/CREW CAB (301000 original miles)
2014 Keystone Springdale 320FWFBH
USN Veteran, Aegis FC

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
jamnw wrote:
I searched that, but got no results.
If you just typed that exact phrase in the little search box, that's exactly what it searches for. It's not google.

The only thing I know to do is to keep the rails clean.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
MTPockets1 wrote:
The Lippert slide manual (downloaded from website) for hydraulic slides, says to actuate slide every seven days, or if left out to use silicone spray lube on the hydraulic Rams and slide seals. Also, change reservoir fluid annually after first two years. The only mention on electric slide is to adjust cable if it becomes loose.

Some electric slides don't use cables...mine doesn't....on some newer models, cables seemed to be used a little more now than some years ago...
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

spadoctor
Explorer
Explorer
its a good idea to use dry silicone slide lube on the seals of the slides to prevent sticking to the bax and tearing. I buy the lube in Walmart rv section ot their automotive if that store does not sell rv supplies

MTPockets1
Explorer
Explorer
The Lippert slide manual (downloaded from website) for hydraulic slides, says to actuate slide every seven days, or if left out to use silicone spray lube on the hydraulic Rams and slide seals. Also, change reservoir fluid annually after first two years. The only mention on electric slide is to adjust cable if it becomes loose.
2012 3055RL Big Horn - Dexter upgraded axles - G rated LT Tires
MorRyde, Genset, Dual Panes, 2 A/C, Yeti Package
2013 F350 DRW 4x4 Crew King Ranch

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Check the slide seals on a regular basis and treat them at least once a year with a product like 303 Protectant to keep them conditioned. The top seal is especially important.

cdlaine
Explorer
Explorer
Lesson learned....

Do a dry run on using the manual overide (hand crank) . I found out my port hole did not line up with the crank mechanism.

Charles
2003 2500HD, 8.1L,CC,4.10,2WD,Allison
Standard bed
Ride-rite air bags
Prodigy
Husky 16K sliding

2013 Artic Fox 29-5T Silver Fox Ed.
Pin wt.(CAT Scale) 2660#
5th (Cat Scale) 12600#

I'll want the Frim Fram sauce with the Ausen Fey with
Chafafa on the side.... Nat

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Fizz wrote:
I had only one problem with mine.
There is a folding metal bar that supports all the wiring. It fold in and out with the room. It rusted up and the hinge broke. An easy fix for me, now I'll keep an eye on it and oil it when needed.

That was part of my PM when doing the slides....on my kitchen slide, I have a part that folds in, I keep hinges lubed...
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
I had only one problem with mine.
There is a folding metal bar that supports all the wiring. It fold in and out with the room. It rusted up and the hinge broke. An easy fix for me, now I'll keep an eye on it and oil it when needed.