cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Snake!!!

tomdinwv
Explorer
Explorer
We went camping Monday thru Thursday at our favorite COE CG here in WV. (East Fork CG at East Lynn Lake) Quite an adventure. Tuesday evening, the wife got a couple of pieces of wood and threw on the fire. She was going back to get more and let out a yell. "Tom, there's a snake in the wood pile!!!". I grabbed my shovel, and went to investigate. I found a not to happy copperhead, coiled up and displeased with my presence. Did I mention he (or she) was NOT HAPPY. I disposed of the snake. In the next 36 hours we were there, we saw several more copperheads and a bunch of snakes in the water swimming that we didn't feel the need to find out what type they were. So just a reminder, in your travels this spring/summer, be careful and watch where you step. In approx 25 or 30 trips to this same CG over the last 5 years, these were the first snake we encountered there. Remember, we are encroaching into their territory when we venture into some of these nicely wooded CGs.
71 REPLIES 71

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
We don't have, here, in this part of Tn but to the east and west.
We do have Copperheads. I am concerned because we found one then the other day another shed skin at the garage entrance, where thy had scraped off their old skin on garage door tracks. They were neither one over 2 ft or so long but they were kinda fat but the tail did not come to a quick taper and end. Killed a small 2 1/2in black scorpion there too. First one I've ever seen in Tn.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I live in TN, near a river, and law or no law, any water moccasin (aka Cotton Mouth) I see will die a swift death. Those suckers are MEAN.

As an aside, the city I live in runs an off leash dog park in the river bottoms. They once found a Cotton Mouth nest under a stump right in the middle of the dog park. They killed them all.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:
I skinned a rattler I had killed and found 8 babies in side almost fully developed.

:E

I had no idea...I've always thought rattlers came from eggs that developed after being laid!
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Not that many of us take the time to look but a female snake's tail is short and stubby and a male's is longer and tapered. Just FYI. I learned when I skinned a rattler I had killed and found 8 babies in side almost fully developed.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

MrWizard
copperhead maybe..

cotton mouth .. NO

they are a southern water snake,

we have copperheads in Indiana.. more prevalent than rattle snakes

also more of NON-venomous 'look a likes' and the the real copperheads
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

bill_h
Explorer
Explorer
dbbls wrote:
You do know that killing a snake in most, if not all states, is illegal.

That varies from state to state, and even county to county, and also varies depending on the snake.

Example, some snakes, including some rattlers. are protected in AZ. And you need a hunting license to kill a non-protected snake in a hunting area. ...... In Iowa, you can only kill a rattler within so many feet of your dwelling, and it varies from county to county.
NOTE: Any incorrect spelling is intentional to prevent those annoying popups.

84 Barth 30Tag powered by HT502/Thorley/Weiand etc, Gear Vendors OD.
Siamese Calvin and Airedale Hobbes, 4WD Toyota toad

derouen6
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like a copperhead to me. Just killed one coiled up by the back door yesterday.

Targa
Explorer
Explorer
car2900 wrote:
Here is what greeted us the other day in the road in front of our campsite. I didn't know what kind it was or I would not have gotten this close to take the picture. When the ranger came to remove it he said it was a baby cottonmouth. I won't say what park we were in as I don't want to alarm anyone except it was in the Southeast somewhere.

Pretty snake.

MarshaNichols
Explorer
Explorer
I really don't care for snakes. I used to keep a king snake in my classroom and he was fine...but, I have killed a baby rattler but have also used my car to block other cars from hitting a large rattlesnake going across the road (yep, not near my house).

I am planning on going to Arizona, New Mexico, Nebraska, and Oklahoma this fall and snakes are the only thing I am worried about. I know I just need to be careful...but... :R

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Never met a pit viper other than in a glass case till we volunteered in Texas last year where we had the pleasure to meet all four varieties. Copperhead while weed whacking, rattler while walking the dog just stretched out across the two track, coral on a ridge top during a bird survey, and several cottonmouths down near the creek. None of them wanted anything to do with me nor me with them, they went their way I went mine, as it should be.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

Reader1
Explorer
Explorer
DH also served in Vietnam and went through training regarding all the poisonous snakes, the worst being very small ones that would bite you between fingers etc. One of his first times in a foxhole, a 1 1/2 foot thin "snake" slithered down at him and he flew out of the foxhole. He looked back and it was an earthworm, which in S.E. Asia grow pretty big.

empty_nest
Explorer
Explorer
ANewCreation wrote:
I ABSOLUTELY HATE ALL...ALL SNAKES. For all you tree huggers ๐Ÿ˜‰ this is going to be a painful post so just move along. I kill EVERY snake I see no matter how big or small or what kind they are. I hate them ALL! Stupid serpents! If they are in the street I run over them with my car and try to spin the wheels on their stupid heads :B. I have actually turned around to go back and run them down! I HATE them ALL! I will kill them with a shovel, golf club or anything that has a long enough handle. Even run them over on a riding lawn mower.

As far as them eating mice/rats, that's what traps are for. Again, I hate All snakes.

WOW! I guess you really hate snakes. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2008 38' Winnebago Adventurer
2012 Jeep Wrangler (Toad)
03 Ranger 520 DVX - 225 hp. Evinrude

usmohls2
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
korbe wrote:
tomdinwv wrote:
............I disposed of the snake............. Remember, we are encroaching into their territory ...........

๐Ÿ˜‰

:B

Their skin makes a good hat band, The rest ain't to bad on the grill.

ANewCreation
Explorer
Explorer
I ABSOLUTELY HATE ALL...ALL SNAKES. For all you tree huggers ๐Ÿ˜‰ this is going to be a painful post so just move along. I kill EVERY snake I see no matter how big or small or what kind they are. I hate them ALL! Stupid serpents! If they are in the street I run over them with my car and try to spin the wheels on their stupid heads :B. I have actually turned around to go back and run them down! I HATE them ALL! I will kill them with a shovel, golf club or anything that has a long enough handle. Even run them over on a riding lawn mower.

As far as them eating mice/rats, that's what traps are for. Again, I hate All snakes.