cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

So. Backed into a tree.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
After backing out of the road thru the obstical course in my front yard. I have to back out of the road at an angle, between 2 trees while dodging the 2 trees behind them. so while attempting to do that for the millionth time. I finally after 35 years. Didn't dodge one of the back trees. Yep I hit it. Broke a limb off, and every thing.

However. The only damage to the TT I can find is some green sap on the back, and a bent molding tray on the corner. Of course the molding caulking needs replacing. The fiber glass is not broken. So I'm thinkin / hoping that all I need to do it recaulk. I'm going to remove the molding, and see if any of the tray screws are loose or if ant thing under the tray is pushed in. Would be great if it was just that far off the corner, and not tight up against the back or side.

BTW. If I knew how to post pictures I would. Can't ever get them to load.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers
21 REPLIES 21

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
I've not backed into a tree, yet. I have backed into my own shed.
The shed has been moved.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
The first time I backed a motorhome out of my driveway, I backed into a tree and damaged my corner molding. I removed the tree and had the driveway widened in the middle, and had no further problems. The molding, of course, did not match the other side...until several years later, when I backed the other corner into a post.
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
HAD one tree in the front yard, backed into it twice. No problems backing out now (no tree).

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
If you haven't hit something with your trailer you've not been doing it long enough
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
I hate those trees that keep moving. I backed around a tree and into the spot. SWMBO decided the site wasn't to her liking. Slightly PO'ed I pulled out, only to hit tree with tail sweep.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
BAD tree...BAD tree...Welcome to a not so exclusive club...:)...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
So I'm thinkin / hoping that all I need to do it recaulk.

I've seen tape, rawhide, vines and nails- all kinds of stuff, but I've never seen a limb reattached with caulking! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Just kidding. Hope your damage isn't too bad!

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
ppine wrote:
Glad you did not do any major damage.
I will never understand how some people deal with an obstacle course in their own yards. It is best to build a new road, make a circular driveway, remove some trees or whatever else you need to do to make it easy. Best to think long term and make provsions for access.

Been backing thru there for 35 years. Only this time there was something blocking part of the driveway at the street. I couldn't get a slanted enough run at it. totally my fault, should have moved the obstruction.. But no. there will be no trees cut down. Less I want to move into the camper.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
I can't recall ever backing the TT into anything hard enough to do any damage. I have, however, brushed against a tree on a narrow campground road, which dented the siding, bent the rain gutter, and ripped a chunk of rubber off of the roof. Ouch.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
While backing the 5th-wheel into a site, I needed to pull forward and adjust my angle. I pulled the truck into the empty campsite across the road from mine. That put a 4 by 4 wood post, with the campsite number mounted on it, next to my passenger doors - conveniently out of site. I then turned the steering wheel all the way to the left and backed up. The post put a nice long crease in the rocker panel below my front passenger door.

I've also drug a branch along my roof just above the rain gutter, but luckily it didn't cut thru the rubber. Just made a nasty looking mark.
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Your post from the MTBP thread:

Me. I like the shelters. Really make the camping much better. And honestly. I never had any problem pulling out of my site.

Thankfully you didn't have to BACK out! :B

Seriously, I have learned (or would like to THINK I have learned!) to not start a sentence with "I have never". Fortunately I never backed any of our RVs into anything. Cars, however, are a different story! And I'd better shut up. We are thinking about getting an RV again. Once all of our house stuff is settled we may start the search again.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
This thread may grow to many pages of members telling, "I backed into," stories....

Mine would include the over hang eve and rain gutter on the side of our house.....crunch, scrape and nasty words....
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

sgip2000
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
I'd be cutting down some trees.

X2

yup,

I backed into a tree.... Was in a campground when some "elder guy" was debating on how and which angle he was to pull into his site..

I was impatient and wanted to go around another way, started backing up and a resident walked out into my mirror helping be back up ..

I heard a "CRUNCH", and 2 seconds later he stopped waving me back and put his hands up to stop me.. he backed me into a rather large limb and it put a 6" hole in my rear cap of my last fiver.
Yes it was MY fault for listening to a fellow camper, but COME ON ! ! ! ๐Ÿ™‚

KZ to the rescue ! ! !
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet