cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

So. Backed into a tree.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
After backing out of the road thru the obstical course in my front yard. I have to back out of the road at an angle, between 2 trees while dodging the 2 trees behind them. so while attempting to do that for the millionth time. I finally after 35 years. Didn't dodge one of the back trees. Yep I hit it. Broke a limb off, and every thing.

However. The only damage to the TT I can find is some green sap on the back, and a bent molding tray on the corner. Of course the molding caulking needs replacing. The fiber glass is not broken. So I'm thinkin / hoping that all I need to do it recaulk. I'm going to remove the molding, and see if any of the tray screws are loose or if ant thing under the tray is pushed in. Would be great if it was just that far off the corner, and not tight up against the back or side.

BTW. If I knew how to post pictures I would. Can't ever get them to load.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers
21 REPLIES 21

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the Club

My husband can drive our 35 ft. motorhome in and back it out of our backyard and so far never hit the wall or trees:B

In Palm Desert while backing up into a spot he hit a tree branch. That was $7,000.00 incident our insurance paid for.

Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

Dr_Jay
Explorer
Explorer
Take the damaged molding off and look for any hidden damage. If there is none use appropriate RV sealant or caulking to re-seal area. Replace molding and keep an eye on it and for any leaks. If no leaks you are home free. That is my experience. Of course if damage is more severe see RV service company of your choice.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
Greater Boston Area

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
There are two kinds of RV'ers. Those that have hit something and those that just haven't done it yet.

Join the club

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Glad you did not do any major damage.
I will never understand how some people deal with an obstacle course in their own yards. It is best to build a new road, make a circular driveway, remove some trees or whatever else you need to do to make it easy. Best to think long term and make provsions for access.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I'd be cutting down some trees.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
For photo posting use THIS app provided by member ad moderator 1492.

Shortly after I added 7 feet to my motor home (sold the 28 and bought a 35), I was repositioning in the driveway and backed into the tree across the road. Also took out my mailbox. It deformed the steel bumper enough to move the fan shroud and cause the fan blades to hit the shroud. What a racket.

I spend the good part of the day under the rear end of the coach with pry bars and bottle jacks trying to coax everything back where it belonged.

As Scoot said - welcome to the club.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Welcome to the club. Glad it ended up being minor.
Did something like that years ago but damage was to my truck. Just barely glanced off a small, short tree. A paintless repair guy was able to put it right.