Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar Tax Credits

wfred
Explorer
Explorer
All:

I'm starting to seriously consider adding solar to my trailer now that our state is matching 60% of the federal energy tax credit. For those of you that have taken advantage of the tax credits, I have a couple of questions.

1.) Can/did you include the cost of the batteries? I have seen several briefs about an IRS ruling confirming the cost of the batteries can be included.

2.) What paperwork do you need in addition to the IRS form 5695? Is it as simple as totaling your receipts and adding it to the form or is there more paperwork I need to present?

Thanks for the help,

Fred
2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ Z71
2012 Viewfinder Signature 28BHSS
22 REPLIES 22

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
D & M wrote:
n7bsn wrote:
Personally I would find a Tax expert on Solar Credits and ask them, not us morons in a forum,
I would -not- be surprised that RVs are excluded.

x2. Unless any of us morons are really tax accounts and are willing to put their name and reputation behind their answer, I would seek out professional advice.

And really, since we are not talking about a solar farm here, how much are you going to get? If you are scrubbing around for tax pennies, perhaps you shouldn't own a RV anyway.

Is it really worth the potential hassle?

But I can imagine you are talking in the $1,000s and doesn't that come right off the taxes, not reduced to 20-30% of what you spend as a deduction?
bumpy

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
n7bsn wrote:
Personally I would find a Tax expert on Solar Credits and ask them, not us morons in a forum,
I would -not- be surprised that RVs are excluded.

x2. Unless any of us morons are really tax accounts and are willing to put their name and reputation behind their answer, I would seek out professional advice.

And really, since we are not talking about a solar farm here, how much are you going to get? If you are scrubbing around for tax pennies, perhaps you shouldn't own a RV anyway.

Is it really worth the potential hassle?
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
1. Yes
2. Yes

We received the credit for our RV solar installation on our 2013 Federal income taxes. The batteries and inverter for the system were eligible for the credit.
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think it should be allowed, and I don't have it, so I don't want it to be taken off taxes.
So big a world, so little time to see.

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Whatever is in the installer's invoice is included and that can include batteries, panel mounts, and with our house it included a new roof. No point in putting a 30-year solar array on a roof that is going to need to be replaced in 10 years time.

Smart move as electrical rates have already tripled in many parts of the country over the past 10 years and with global warming it is going to get much worse and with more demand comes higher prices.

Get it while you can as the Koch brothers whose businesses profit from dirty coal and oil production have already succeeded in getting the tax credit for solar killed in Oklahoma. Now the billions in subsidies for coal and oil and natural gas and nuclear power are not touched as those are "good" subsidies.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
mich800 wrote:
wfred wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
that law was extended then expired at the end of 2013, did it get extended? I think at the time I asked the tax lady it hadn't been.
bumpy

The law has been extended through 2016 and Iowa will match 60% of the federal credit up to $5000. Effectively I get 48% of the total cost of my solar setup as a tax credit.

From everything I've read and the information here, it sounds like i simply total the amount of all the components and add them to IRS form 5695. It doesn't sound like anybody has included the cost of battery upgrades for their system as part of the tax credit. I'll consult my CPA on that, seems like the IRS ruled it is allowed but that doesn't mean it won't get red-flagged somehow.

Thanks for the help,

Fred

It has been a long time since I looked at this. But I seem to remember that there were different treatments depending on if it was grid tied. Maybe that is where the different interpretations come in. Either way, if you can get some of your tax dollars back for something you were going to do anyways you should do it. You could always just delete your receipts before the audit ๐Ÿ™‚ At least that works for big brother.

my hard drive got scratched.
bumpy

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
wfred wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
that law was extended then expired at the end of 2013, did it get extended? I think at the time I asked the tax lady it hadn't been.
bumpy

The law has been extended through 2016 and Iowa will match 60% of the federal credit up to $5000. Effectively I get 48% of the total cost of my solar setup as a tax credit.

From everything I've read and the information here, it sounds like i simply total the amount of all the components and add them to IRS form 5695. It doesn't sound like anybody has included the cost of battery upgrades for their system as part of the tax credit. I'll consult my CPA on that, seems like the IRS ruled it is allowed but that doesn't mean it won't get red-flagged somehow.

Thanks for the help,

Fred

It has been a long time since I looked at this. But I seem to remember that there were different treatments depending on if it was grid tied. Maybe that is where the different interpretations come in. Either way, if you can get some of your tax dollars back for something you were going to do anyways you should do it. You could always just delete your receipts before the audit ๐Ÿ™‚ At least that works for big brother.

wfred
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
bumpy

Thanks for the help,

Fred
2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ Z71
2012 Viewfinder Signature 28BHSS

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
bumpy

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
We took the deduction for installing solar on our tt. At the time, it was our second home.

Here is the information on IRS.gov. It specifically states:
"You must install qualifying equipment in connection with your home located in the United States. It does not have to be your main home."

And:"A home includes a house, condominium, cooperative, mobile home, house trailer, boat, or similar property that has sleeping, cooking, and toilet facilities."
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
n7bsn wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
I asked my tax lady about solar in my second home and was told it applies to primary residence only. all I get to do is deduct interest, etc. from my taxes
bumpy

SCVJeff wrote:
Well this morons tax guy says it is legal in this state since the motorhome is considered a second home, so the solar was deducted. As far as batteries are concerned... Don't push it... Wether or not you can tie those together, I doubt you will find an auditor that understands the story you whipped up.

Looks like two "experts" have different opinions.
If you have nothing to say, don't.
And if you were paying attention you would have noticed that BOTH comments came from a CPA or tax person. Besides, Bumpy is in a completely different state. So lighten up...
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

12thgenusa
Explorer
Explorer
TerriStar wrote:
Form 5695 asks if the solar panels were attached to your main residence. Says, if "no", deduction not allowed.

This is incorrect. That question is asked in Part II, Nonbusiness Energy Property Credit. The part that would apply to RVs is Part I, Residential Energy Efficient Property Credit. It specifically says that "The home does not have to be your main home".

2007 Tundra DC 4X4 5.7, Alcan custom rear springs, 2009 Cougar 245RKS, 370 watts ET solar, Victron BMV-712, Victron SmartSolar 100/30, 200AH LiP04 bank, ProWatt 2000.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
If you own a house and a RV, good luck on passing an audit.
I have taken a solar deduction twice, online,no paper. No audit yet.

The gov't loves it when you file online, because it's so much less work for them, and you.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
TerriStar wrote:
Form 5695 asks if the solar panels were attached to your main residence. Says, if "no", deduction not allowed.

If you own a house and a RV, good luck on passing an audit.
bumpy