cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Splicing Into Fridge 12V?

longislandcampe
Explorer
Explorer
I was curious about installing an LED light strip on the side of my TT, directly underneath my awning. I have a 16' extension cable and was thinking about running the extension cable down the roof vent for the fridge and then come out behind the fridge.

To power the lights I wanted to splice into the 12V line for the fridge. What exactly is the 12V line for the fridge powering? It seems to be a thicket gauge wire then I thought it would be.

This method would give me a very clean install so I hope it's a good route to take.
13 REPLIES 13

longislandcampe
Explorer
Explorer
Well, we have decided to go a different route. The power cable for our awning goes through the trailer wall and into the front storage area. We're going to drill a new hole in the wall and then splice into the wiring for the storage light. It looks to be a VERY clean install once it's finished.

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
I'm assuming you propose to tap into the 12 volt source of the fridge. Not wiring internal to the fridge.

Most of the 6 cubic ft. two way refrigerators draw less than 3 amps DC, and if the climate control is off and the door light is off, it is less than a half amp on mine.

I'd ask the thread to be moved to tech issues for input. I'd determine the power consumption of the LED light string and post that. If it is an amp or two I see no issue. The other potential problem would be some kind of power supply noise if one exists on the LED light set. But if it is only drawing an amp or two I can't see how that could damage fridge circuit board.

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
Likely there is a 12 V supply wire underneath the vehicle. Ours has one leading to a connector for a trailer and another charging the house battery. Maybe too low down for your project.

What about tapping into an existing exterior light?
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

jwstewar
Explorer
Explorer
I tapped the 12-volt wires that power my fridge. There is apparently something else on the circuit for my fridge as Jayco just tapped the wires for the fridge and then they continue on somewhere else. I did exactly what you are describing. Up the awning pole, across the roof about 14-16" and down the fridge vent and tapped the 12-volt. The control box is mounted to the inside of the fridge side cover with the IR receiver sticking out.
Jim
2009 Jayco 32 BHDS
1999 Chevy Silverado 4x4 ECSB 5.3 w/ 3.73

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Most everything in my MH is wired with #14 wire, probably because almost everything is fused at 15 Amps.

Mine has the refrig, water heater and the furnace all on the same circuit. None of them use 12v to produce heat.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

longislandcampe
Explorer
Explorer
I'm still debating this....

epusher
Explorer
Explorer
The 14 awg is probably the smallest size the manufacurer could run with acceptable line loss. I would hate to fry a fridge circuit board at $100+ per vs just a new run of wire from the DC fuse panel. You can still route it up and through the refrig compartment.
2010 Sabre 30BHDS: 10 gal elct/gas dsi, 15k a/c, 1.5 bath, high fidelity package
2010 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4x4, 1 dog, 1 wife, 2 kids, 2 cats

Explorer II
Explorer II
Mine has 2 14 awg (orange/white) in parallel. For the current draw that seems to be overkill. I was going to see if the fuse is powering one and the other is feeding something downstream but got sidetracked. I decided not to tap into it.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
The problem I would have with it is that the fridge circuit is a dedicated line and even though LEDs are very low current draw you don't want anything that could mess with that circuit. I believe you value keeping the fridge cold. Try looking for a nearby light circuit to tie into. If the LEDs have an inline fuse or you could add one maybe tying into the fridge line would be more doable.
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

longislandcampe
Explorer
Explorer
The fridge is only AC/gas. Do you think it would be a problem to splice the led strip right into the fridge line?

cpmath
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't do it, if you blow the fridge its gonna be expensive to replace or repair and it is very apparent you're not sure what you're doing so I would pass that up. Why do you need 12V lights on the awning anyway?

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a three way fridge it is probably the 12 volt feed to run it on 12 volts. And, yes it could be for the control board, but it doesn't require heavy wiring.
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Mine powers the control board on the back of the fridge, the inside light and front panel indicator lights.

I suspect it is a dedicated circuit and doesn't power anything else except the fridge.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter