cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

split 50 amp into 2 - 30 amp

jason4598
Explorer
Explorer
Can an adaptor be purchased or made to power two 30 amp Rv's from one 50 amp outlet?
13 REPLIES 13

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Water-Bug wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:
john&bet wrote:
The safety of the idea has not been address yet so let me be the first. You have the potential to overload the neutral of the adapter or the neutral of the recptical or the neutral anywhere up stream of that point. If both 30 amps are loaded to say 24 amps then there is 48 amps on the neutral which will be pushing it and the connections. JMHO.
I may be wrong but I don't think this is right. I believe a 50 amp plug has 2 neutral's and 2 hot's and a ground both hots are 50 amp. If so than you will only pull 30 amps from each 50 amp lead if your plug just splits to 2 30 amp plugs.

X2

An RV 30 amp circuit has a single 30 amp leg or app 3000+ watts capacity. An RV 50 amp circuit has 2 ea 50 amp leg of app 5000+ watts each for a total of 10, 000+ watts.

EDIT The 50 amp RV circuit has 2 hot, 1 neutral and 1 ground pins.
I stand corrected. Must have had a brain fart.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
The neutral thing is not an issue. This is exactly how your breaker panel in your house is wired. Each leg does not have it own Neutral, they share one.

MrWizard
john&bet wrote:
The safety of the idea has not been address yet so let me be the first. You have the potential to overload the neutral of the adapter or the neutral of the recptical or the neutral anywhere up stream of that point. If both 30 amps are loaded to say 24 amps then there is 48 amps on the neutral which will be pushing it and the connections. JMHO.

And what is the difference
Between that and a 50 amp rig using the same amount (24) on each of it's legs

That 50amp is 50 amps on each leg , 100 amps total
Two 30 amp rigs can only use 30 amps on each leg

50 amp RV is wired as two 120v 50 amp legs neutral load is not zero, not 240v
There's always a neutral current equal
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
john&bet wrote:

With 24 amps on each leg you will have 0 on the neutral. Overloading it is not a concern. The most you could possibly put on the neutral would be 30 amps. This would occur with a 30 amp load on one leg and nothing on the other.

And no, a 50 A circuit does not have 2 neutrals.

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
john&bet wrote:

I might be wrong, but I think the neutral will only see the delta amps between the two 50A legs and in your example that should be 0. The only safety issue is if a short happens between the 30A on the dogbone and the 30A CB in the trailer that 30A rated line could be subject to 50A, but is no different than using a single 50A to 30A dogbone which is common practice.

I see no additional safety concerns in what is being recommended except for the fact that those 30A connections are not weatherproof or protected in the linked configurations whereas mine with the in use weatherproof covers solves that safety concern.

Here are pics of my 50A to dual 30A dogbone

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
Bird Freak wrote:
john&bet wrote:
I may be wrong but I don't think this is right. I believe a 50 amp plug has 2 neutral's and 2 hot's and a ground both hots are 50 amp. If so than you will only pull 30 amps from each 50 amp lead if your plug just splits to 2 30 amp plugs.

X2

An RV 30 amp circuit has a single 30 amp leg or app 3000+ watts capacity. An RV 50 amp circuit has 2 ea 50 amp leg of app 5000+ watts each for a total of 10, 000+ watts.

EDIT The 50 amp RV circuit has 2 hot, 1 neutral and 1 ground pins.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
john&bet wrote:
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

jjj
Explorer
Explorer
Got mine on amazon 2 30 amp male to 50 amp female also has led lights to show power and got it less than $70. Worked great.
2002 F-350 Crew-Cab Dually
V-10-4.30 gears Mag-Hytec diff.cover
w/Amsoil-6.0 trans cooler Curt Q5 20K hitch & bedsaver
2005 Keystone Challenger 34TBH-Fifth Airbourn

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Or you can create a breakout box that has 30 amp breakers for each leg.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:
YEP..........LINK

Or for less than 75% of the cost of the Marinco setup you can make your own and have in use water proof covers on each of the 30A outlets which the Marinco adapter does not have. If you don't want the in use waterproof covers the cost drops to around 40% of the Marinco system and all parts should be available at HD and/or Lowes.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, http://www.amazon.com/Conntek-Adatper-Female-Connector-3-Feet/dp/B003YDY89Y/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_4, and I am sure if you search around that you can find a better price.
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
YEP..........LINK
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31