cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Spouse left behind after death at a Campsite, what to do?

Songbirds
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I were married back in 1974. We have one daughter who is now 48. I have been a long-time camper and had our share of outdoor toys, why before the toy haulers were popular and many other trailers I've seen roll off the assembly line. We were camping before our first family Ford VAN came along in 1975-Econoline VAN, by myself with shag carpet which was converted into a make-shift camper before that was even a thing, with crazy wild color carpet.

At some point, we jumped into trailers for room and comforts. Then came the day we got a Class A, motorhome and began to tour parts of the USA before I neared retirement. Which we switched into a longer and newer model as we were going on a full-time tour. But our lives were always pulled back by our jobs and the need others had for what was in our heads. ""haha""

Our daughter and her husband followed our tracks getting a Trailer toy-Haller. Some small boats and them ATV things. Without knowing came the words I had always heard from my wife. But this time from my daughter while on a camping trip. "Dad, she said" I don't know what I would do, if I lost Jon, and had to pack everything and hook up the trailer to head back home?

This was the first time I had even entertained the thought as I always felt it would just work itself all out, Okay. Or would it all be alright? Once, on an away trip in Class A, I had gotten very dizzy, sick, and broke into a cold sweat, as I had done almost 30-days apart for the prior year. A few trips to the Doctor and we learned my Gull Bladder had to go. So I was getting what my wide and daughter had been asking me about for years?. As we departed Utah and headed back home to Florida in our Class A, the very thought was what would the weakest minded person do to get it all back home in one peace? I had just turned 70-years old and the coming year came COVID-19 came 2020.

We sold our Class A, and we jumped into a Class B, Coachmen Galleria. As it has turned out has been great for restaurants visits and eating out with COVID in the air, while inside the VAN watching TV. Also driving our Van to some doctor visits and took in an RV Park to do our shake-down trip.

The wife and I have been together for over 50-years and were still in love and get along very well. I asked if the VAN would work? She said she could handle the VAN, but what if I dropped dead on the ground? Simple now my dear wife. Call the POLICE while I'm still on the ground and don't touch me just tell them it's not my "Gull Bladder" they will know what to do. Then call our lawyer to handle the details and drive back home. Or call our SON-in-Law and fly back home or wait and go back with JON or our daughter whatever. Also, we know she can handle the Van. But what about the VAN, give it to the KIDS, and tell Jon if he has a problem with the Beer give it to our fellow RV'ers wherever were parked.

So my fellow RV'ers, I posse this question to anyone who has an idea or has been asked by their spouse. You're out on your last campground outing and then your Facedown in the dirt, What would you suggest to others be done with you? And if alone who would know? This very thing did happen to a fellow RV'er while at and RV Park.

The Fire and Ambulance arrived at the RV Park, which got everyone's attention in the park. We learned the man had a heart attic and they took him away. She left with them and on her return. My wife took her a dish of potato salad. She, my wife was unable to talk with her and the RV Park gave them a Free Park visit. Some of us park fellow RV'ers guys, went over and rolled up and unhooked everything, and she towed the Vehicle all back home about 500-miles away. This all took a few days maybe just two days. It all happened kind of fast.

I Would like to know your thoughts? if something were to happen in front of you? I can see at 50-or even 80-years of age can be a big deal for the partner or family members to deal with the passing of another and having to deal with the details.

What would you do or think should be done, I would like to know. Let's please not know if it did but keep the post objective as to details would be helpful in just knowing. Thanks for sharing.
2021 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Van, showing six tires down, 3400XD, V6, 7-Speed Automatic 24FL, 170-WB, 24'-3", Coachmen Galleria w/Li3, "Next ROAD TRIP" to where?
49 REPLIES 49

egh33
Explorer
Explorer
I have never been in a camp site that for any emergency there are always some one very willing to help. Most helpful folks there is. You don't even have to ask. Let one person know and there will be more help than you need.

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Rick Y wrote:
Due to my precarious situation and high-risk life style (I frequently sass my wife and 'forget' to do assigned tasks) my wife early on made sure she was capable of doing everything necessary to break down camp and get home by herself. In fact I have come back to the camp from taking a solo hike to find that she decided to run a drill and had left. So, as regards the RV portion, she is well trained and able.

In regards to disposition of my body, once again, planning ahead pays dividends. She bought an extra-large gas propane fire pit. Her plan, she tells me, is to simply cremate me on the spot. She did, however, give me some input on her plan. She has agreed to spread my ashes on the floor of our local Eddie Bauer outlet store. This way I know she will come frequently to visit me.
:B

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
It's an old thread, worth reading & pertains to this one.

"Getting 5th Wheel Home"

~

Rick_Y
Explorer
Explorer
Due to my precarious situation and high-risk life style (I frequently sass my wife and 'forget' to do assigned tasks) my wife early on made sure she was capable of doing everything necessary to break down camp and get home by herself. In fact I have come back to the camp from taking a solo hike to find that she decided to run a drill and had left. So, as regards the RV portion, she is well trained and able.

In regards to disposition of my body, once again, planning ahead pays dividends. She bought an extra-large gas propane fire pit. Her plan, she tells me, is to simply cremate me on the spot. She did, however, give me some input on her plan. She has agreed to spread my ashes on the floor of our local Eddie Bauer outlet store. This way I know she will come frequently to visit me.
Rick & Karen
2017 Hideout 177LHS travel trailer
2021 Ford Ranger w/tow package, named "Lil Toe"

Estu inteligenta, kaj parolu Esperanton

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just goes to show you never know. I thought this thread was about a spouse who died and was left at the campground.

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
ferndaleflyer wrote:
And what may I ask is a RED? In my world RED is a rear engine dragster!!!

Sorry! We have a Tiffin, Allegro RED, 37BA.

And what may I ask is a RED? In my world RED is a rear engine dragster!!!

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
campersam9, Yes!! So well said.

The wife knows how to do everything, including driving the RED. On long trips to see folks, she and I switch off driving. When I was working and traveling for work she took the rig, with our camping group and went camping. If I were to break something, she could get us, including the RED, home.

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
FMCA for several reasons, chief among them is the FMCA Assist program. This is, basically, an insurance policy that provides medical evacuation/repatriation, emergency medical reunion, return of mortal remains, return of dependents, vehicle return, and several other benefits. This plan puts me much more at ease should anything happen to either one of us.

This is provided with the membership cost to FMCA.

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
As one that lived through (survived) two wives passing away already (and I'm only 52)..... I've dealt with a lot of the brutal emotions, heartache, and chaos of losing someone close to you. And, all the difficult things you have to do as the surviving spouse afterward. When it feels like your life is shattered to pieces and you are stuck in neutral while everyone else is moving on around you like nothing happened. Been there, hope I never have to go through that again.

Granted, I never had it happen while camping, that would be a whole nother story. Cheryl (wife) pretty well knows how everything works with our Class A, and is fine with driving it (and she does quite a bit). She wanted to learn, know from day 1 how it all worked when we first got married 2 years ago. I have complete confidence that she could easily break camp completely and get the rig home, if something was to happen to me. She might need a little help here and there, but she would handle it.

But, man, oh man, I don't want to even think about her having to go through that. I've told her many times how brutal losing someone that close to you is, I don't wish that on my worst enemy.
I never, ever want her to have to go through that. We gonna have to leave this world together at the same time, or she gonna have to go first.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

2halfs
Explorer
Explorer
campersam9,

I am betting most of us share your thoughts.

You are right, living is for now.

For some it is a good idea to think/ plan ahead. Some of us function better that way. Others not.

I am happy to hear that you made your choices by what makes you most happy.

Missing grandkids....thank goodness for today's technology, it makes it much easier for all of us to stay in touch. I hope you are loaded with video conversations and photos.

Love your spirit and keep on RVing.

Denise
Happiness in an RV is a Full Tank of Gas,
and an Empty Holding Tank!

Campersam9
Explorer
Explorer
I have lung cancer just went into stage two. I have a leg with DVT and a fib. My wife will drive the car home. The camper she is to donate it. I want to spend as much time traveling all over the USA I donโ€™t care. What do you want to sit at home and die? Life is what you make of it. I was told in 2005 give up the rv lifestyle. Just one thing I miss when traveling is my grandchildren. Our two English Setters are always with us. Never worry about tomorrow live for today. Make a new friend at a campground. One day you will meet them again.

2halfs
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
I think my wife would simply tie me to the roof and carry on with her vacation.

I love a sense of humor to make light of serious talk.

Denise
Happiness in an RV is a Full Tank of Gas,
and an Empty Holding Tank!

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
When we picked up our new TT, my wife was the one front and centered asking questions. I kept my mouth shut unless I had a question, and she repeated it until she was comfortable. We'll go through the same routine with our 5th wheel, but we'll both be learning. Going to do a much better job of creating checklists this time around