cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Starting and stopping

denverkass
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2011 Ford F450 DRW pulling my 2014 Cyclone 400 Elite Toy Hauler 5th wheel. When I am at a stop and I take off, I will hear a slight screech at the pinbox and then a tug like the kingpin slid back to catch the jaws of my Reese hitch. Then when I slow down to a stop I will hear the same screech and a thump like the kingpin slid forward with the 5th wheel hitting the front of the Reese hitch. It is like there is a little play in the hitch with the kingpin.

Is this normal or something that I should be concerned about?

Is this the same thing as chucking that I keep reading about?

This only happens when I have to come to a stop or take off from a stop. This is not something that happens just while cruising along at any highway speed.
12 REPLIES 12

steiny93
Explorer
Explorer
sounds like you have some play within the reese head; get the manual and see if there is an adjustment, from memory I don't think there is but maybe
2000 Volvo 610
2013 Cyclone 3950

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
You can rule out the brake controller by disconnecting the 7 plug cable and drive a block or two. No jerking then it's the TBC. You could also just have someone ride in the back seat and watch what's going on to see what's moving.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
I would think someone walking alongside, or riding in the bed, would be able to see what's going on too.

The brake controller has nothing to do with it. Even if the brakes weren't working at all, the trailer shouldn't feel like it's slamming back and forth every time you start and stop.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

GMT830
Explorer
Explorer
Have someone stand/walk beside the truck as you do a few stops/starts. Should be able to see and/or hear where the noise is coming from if it's the hitch.
Lena - 02 Yukon XL Denali
TT - Wilderness 29L

FrankoToo
Explorer
Explorer
denverkass wrote:
As well, do I really need a different break controller from the one that is built into the truck?

I have almost the same identical setup as you and have no issues with the break controller. I would only look at it as the absolute last resort.

Good Luck.

Frank
FrankoToo
2018 Cruiser Stryker ST2313
2011 Ford F450 6.7L PS 4X4 Crew Cab Lariat

Dieseldave
Explorer
Explorer
denverkass wrote:
How do I figure out how to adjust the jaw(s). My Reese 25k hitch, which is the one that Ford sells with the truck, only has one jaw that wraps around behind the kingpin.

As well, do I really need a different break controller from the one that is built into the truck?

So your truck has the factory 5th wheel prep package and you are using the Reese Elite hitch?

I'm using the Reese Elite with the factory hitch in my 2013 F350 and have a popping sound as well. I believe the sound is normal. Check out this video and see if it sounds like yours. Video

denverkass
Explorer
Explorer
How do I figure out how to adjust the jaw(s). My Reese 25k hitch, which is the one that Ford sells with the truck, only has one jaw that wraps around behind the kingpin.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
It is likely some play where the side to side cradle is attached to the base. If like my Reese the cradle is mounted on a bar that is welded to the base. If you get behind the hitch and push/pull on the top hitch plate it will probably slide back and forth just a little. But enough to make a noise when it does.
If you can find large (1 1/4" ID) nylon flat washer, you can cut out a part of one side of it and slip it down over the shaft between the cradle and base. I could not find one locally. I bought a thin round plastic electrical box cover, drilled a 1 1/4" hole in it, slipped it in place, and (almost) no more noise.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Jaws needs adjusting.

This is not the same thing as "chucking". That is the fore/aft oscillation that makes you feel like a bobble-head.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

mojoroo
Explorer
Explorer
Trailer Brake Control TBC

denverkass
Explorer
Explorer
What is TBC?

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
denverkass wrote:
I have a 2011 Ford F450 DRW pulling my 2014 Cyclone 400 Elite Toy Hauler 5th wheel. When I am at a stop and I take off, I will hear a slight screech at the pinbox and then a tug like the kingpin slid back to catch the jaws of my Reese hitch. Then when I slow down to a stop I will hear the same screech and a thump like the kingpin slid forward with the 5th wheel hitting the front of the Reese hitch. It is like there is a little play in the hitch with the kingpin.

Is this normal or something that I should be concerned about?

Is this the same thing as chucking that I keep reading about?

This only happens when I have to come to a stop or take off from a stop. This is not something that happens just while cruising along at any highway speed.

I'm new to 5'er towing, but had the same issue. It was my OEM TBC. Replaced it with a Tekonsha and no jerking at stop and start. I had lot's of slop in an old Reese and I 1st thought that my be it, but replacing the TBC was the answer. I see you have a Ford, and I'm guessing your TBC is better than the POS Ram. It may be your gain setting also. Being a 5'er newbie I don't have any other solution for you. I do however have the so called chucking on rough roads. I can see a MorRyde in the future for that.