cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Staying in Shape to RV Longer

jesseannie
Explorer
Explorer
I just read a post by a gentleman who said they had just given up their RV lifestyle They were in their 80's!!!
At age 68 I would love to be able to keep at it another 10-15 years.
With that goal in mind I have stepped up my exercise program so I have better general overall fitness.
I met with a personal trainer at the YMCA and told him what I wanted to accomplish. I am now on a program of aerobic exercise, weight lifting and stretching. I can feel the difference in flexibility and strength already.
It takes strength and stamina for some of the set-up. unloading and hook-up of a travel trailer as well as the hiking and biking we do.
Do you have a program to keep fit and healthy so you can enjoy the RV lifestyle as long as possible?
37 REPLIES 37

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Many places now have a new fast-growing sport called Pickleball. It's very, very popular with seniors and is excellent exercise. We play 4-6x/week and we're in our mid-70's and have knee replacements.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
I do not exercise . but do work...
65 years old.. had 4 back operations, both wrists and one knee.

I walk twice a day.. Snow birding , second year. setup and take down is lots of work.. but I do by myself.

general health is good. BP is fine. some days I move slower... but I keep going.
eat 3 square a day.. limit amount. I am 6'2" and 250.. an have been for 40 years.. just trying not to yo-yo like years past.

best of luck on selecting your life style.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have been going to the YMCA since I retired 11 years ago. Once I turned 65 with Silver Sneakers and Silver and Fit I also go to LA fitness, and any other gym that is part of the program. These are all free as part of the Medicare Advantage Programs. This works out good especially if you travel or go south for the winter. I am much stronger now than when I was in the military 50 years ago so yes exercise does work. I don't have any diet that I follow and am pretty omnivorous, I could eat a lot better than I do. I have arthritis in my knees and a torn meniscus in my left knee, so I don't run anymore but still ride a bike.

captnjack
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
I'm 52 years old. I should exercise more but, I try to do it when I can. I changed to a healthier diet about 10 years ago. I lost 20 pounds just doing that. Boy, do I feel a lot better.

But, I have pulled a tendon in my shoulder and a muscle , or tendon, in my leg in the last year. I need to find someone that can teach me some stretching exercises to do a couple of times each day. Just not sure who I could pay to teach me for a price I can afford.

I'd bet you could easily find the info on the internet free of charge.

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
I figure the good Lord gave me a number of heartbeats to exist and I don't want to waste them by exercising. ๐Ÿ™‚
bumpy

Exercise makes heart stronger imo,
As long as one doesnt overdo it,but then,your body will let you know when to stop,,when it hurts too much its not healthy..

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
I think a lot depends on persons DNA,,but eating healthy and doing some cardio and strengh training helps a lot also..
As far as fat food goes its absolutely esential,for the body,after all people ate mostly meat and fish since the begining of human race..

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/10/06/worlds-oldest-woman-116-eats-bacon-everyday...

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
Almost 77 and have never had an exercise program in my life except what the Army required of me.
I get plenty of exercise working around the house and pulling maintenance on 5 vehicles.
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

TrailerTravele1
Explorer
Explorer
Here's my motivation every time we get off our fitness track ... a blog post on my website with a link to a very scary Canadian Heart Assn video -- watch it, you'll be motivated too!

Canadian Heart Assn "What Will The Last 10 Years of Your Life Look Like?
Cheers! Jan & David

Just returned from our First "Snowbird" Winter ... 25,000 miles, 26 states, 23 National Parks ... and counting....

TrailerTraveler.net

COnative
Explorer II
Explorer II
RVing is a lot of work... The prep, the travel the setup and all there is to do to get back home. Alot of our travels is based around my kids mountain bike racing schedule. It takes us all over the Rockies and western U.S. I jump in and race too. Plus we ski 40 days a year on average. I'm 52 and loving this active lifestyle! When we're not riding or skiing we're in the Jeep running passes. Life is good. Keep it rolling!
2014 RAM 3500 SRW Laramie Mega
2021 Lance 865
05 StarCraft Homestead Rancher 29BHTS 5er
Pullrite Slider hitch
Champion Remote Start 3100 Watt Inverter Gen Set
Champion 2000 watt inverter Gen Set
All torklift

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
I run, bike, and swim weekly. Its been my retirement plan since the 80's, and its still working. Oh, and I've been retired for 9 years, so far.

I also compete regularly in triathlon. Gangs of fun.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
My way of staying in shape to keep on RVing is to RV all summer and ski all winter. I figure that if I stay in shape for skiing, I'll be in good shape for RVing.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
I figure the good Lord gave me a number of heartbeats to exist and I don't want to waste them by exercising.
bumpy
You forgot the smiley face.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I figure the good Lord gave me a number of heartbeats to exist and I don't want to waste them by exercising. ๐Ÿ™‚

bumpy

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think 'they' must be he.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
jesseannie wrote:
I just read a post by a gentleman who said they had just given up their RV lifestyle They were in their 80's!!!
At age 68 I would love to be able to keep at it another 10-15 years.
With that goal in mind I have stepped up my exercise program so I have better general overall fitness.
I met with a personal trainer at the YMCA and told him what I wanted to accomplish. I am now on a program of aerobic exercise, weight lifting and stretching. I can feel the difference in flexibility and strength already.
It takes strength and stamina for some of the set-up. unloading and hook-up of a travel trailer as well as the hiking and biking we do.
Do you have a program to keep fit and healthy so you can enjoy the RV lifestyle as long as possible?
Good for you! I also go to the Y. Does your location have the Active Trax program? If so, you can link to it from your phone.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS