cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stolen Gas Gift Card

vjstangelo
Explorer
Explorer
We often purchase Shell Gas Gift Cards from Kroger to get the 4x fuel points (not essential to the story), but we just learned a hard lesson which I will share.

At a Shell station in MS I tried to charge gas to an unused $100 Shell gift card and was told the balance was $0. When we reached our destination I called the 800 number and confirmed that the card was activated in June 2015, but there were multiple charges in CA in November 2015. I told the person these were not my charges and I was instructed to file a formal protest.

We think that a person took the number from the card, waited for the card to be activated, then charged the $100. Note that at Kroger the gift cards are kept on the rack unprotected, and there is no concealed PIN to protect the purchaser.

Beware and think twice about purchasing any gift cards that are similarly displayed ans have no PIN.
2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad
27 REPLIES 27

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
We also use a 5% cash back CC for fuel.

We do buy gift cards from Frys/Krogers for the GCs (not fuel gift cards) and so far no problems. The cards are purchased with a CC that gives us 2% cash back on the card purchase and we get 4x points on fuel at Frys. In January we'll have $1.00 off 35 gallons at Frys plus 5% cash back.

We typically buy fuel at independent stations or truck stops since the major producers like Shell are usually higher cost.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

vjstangelo
Explorer
Explorer
Good discussion.

I merely wanted to warn others from my experience.

The next step is to bring the issue to Kroger and see how they deal with it. They may give me a refund, another card, or tell me to "pound salt".

If I get no satisfaction from Kroger, then I will file a protest with the issuer of the gift card.

I will let the group know how this progresses.
2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad

TOMMY47
Explorer
Explorer
I mainly use cash, occasionally debit. My debit account is set up to reject all overdrafts. Keep very little in the account and transfer into it when I need it. Keep the main stash of cash in other accounts that have no debit cards attached and can only be accessed to transfer to debit account or an in person withdrawal. All accounts have separate numbers and online PINs.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
dwayneb236 wrote:
Constantly amazes me that the victim is always seen by some people here as being the problem. The problem is the scrotes who steal. The victim did nothing wrong. And a moderator no less. I'm ready to be banned now.

Recently saw a report on the news detailing this very thing

. Said do not buy gift cards from the rack, only from behind the counter if possible.

X2

They investigative report showed how they are getting the pin number off the back of the cards and then they DO wait until someone buys and pays for it and THEN they start using up the money on it.

And as mentioned above it is done with the cards on shelves in the aisle of the stores.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Steeljag wrote:
bid_time wrote:
How does someone use a gas card without the card itself? I have several gas cards, you have to present the card to be run through the scanner in order to use it. It's not like an Visa card where you can order online. The thief must have been in cahoots with a Shell gas station employee in order to make a purchase without the actual card in hand. I would think it would be pretty easy for Shell to identify what clerk(s) were working at the time of the fraud. Then you have your pool of likely suspect(s). Then time to review the video.

I am also wondering how the card info can be used without the card? Do you not need the card to enter it "swipe" it at the pump?

Anyway, sorry you lost out on your purchase !

They had all the information they needed to make a new card, say from a old hotel room key or just buy them, get a card run it through the scanner machine you bought or stole and bingo instant credit cards.
Happened to me at at loss of $6192.00 dollars using a manufactured Debit Card after breaching the banks web site and then using an ATM in Flordia.
I guess it is pretty easy to do.

JimR

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
Here is how it's done: Scam

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:
CavemanCharlie wrote:
john&bet wrote:
The more I read of these type of stories the more I like the way I pay for stuff while traveling. All cash. Very, very seldom use a cc or debit card. It is just my way.

I agree with you. Though I often write out checks but, a lot of places will not take them anymore.

To the OP. Sorry for your loss.

I'm kind of the opposite....I pretty much use a CC for everything. I never carry a balance, I haven't for 20 years. My card's reward points are tied to Amazon, so I get a lot of things for "free" or at a "discount". Another advantage is in most stores I can return things without a receipt, just provide the card it was purchased with.

I'm with you. prudent use of CC can have lots of financial benefits. each year we usually get 6-8 free roundtrip airlines tickets for each of us from our CC, 5% cash back each month on fuel purchases. we use it like a checking account, pay it off every month, have yet to ever pay any interest. And extended warranties on most purchases (which fortunetly haven't had to use), and very easy return policies at merchants.

Haven't ever lost a dime due to unauthorized use either.

using a check IMHO has more risk than a bank card for most transactions.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
Golden_HVAC wrote:

One could walk out of the store with the Shell card, keep it any number of weeks, copy it (tape VCR recording material onto a piece of plastic and then use a copy machine to write all the essential data onto the fake card) then return the real card back to the rack, where it is purchased any number of weeks later, and they already have a duplicate of that card data...
Tape a piece of VCR recording material to a piece of plastic - You're kidding right?

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
john&bet wrote:
The more I read of these type of stories the more I like the way I pay for stuff while traveling. All cash. Very, very seldom use a cc or debit card. It is just my way.

I agree with you. Though I often write out checks but, a lot of places will not take them anymore.

I'm kind of the opposite....I pretty much use a CC for everything. I never carry a balance, I haven't for 20 years. My card's reward points are tied to Amazon, so I get a lot of things for "free" or at a "discount". Another advantage is in most stores I can return things without a receipt, just provide the card it was purchased with.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
john&bet wrote:

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
MrWizard wrote:
dwayneb236 wrote:
Constantly amazes me that the victim is always seen by some people here as being the problem. The problem is the scrotes who steal. The victim did nothing wrong. And a moderator no less. I'm ready to be banned now

You read into my post, what you want too see

I never said he did anything wrong

I stated my thoughts on the thief and use of the card number

And the fact that it is in someone's best interest to use the card
Not wait six months, it does not gain interest sitting in the drawer at home, it only increased the chance of fraud and loss

I think it's just the way it came across. Two lessons to be learned....

I still think all thieves ought to be strung up and whipped in a public square. Problem is, you can never catch the scum that do this.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

MrWizard
dwayneb236 wrote:
Constantly amazes me that the victim is always seen by some people here as being the problem. The problem is the scrotes who steal. The victim did nothing wrong. And a moderator no less. I'm ready to be banned now

You read into my post, what you want too see

I never said he did anything wrong

I stated my thoughts on the thief and use of the card number

And the fact that it is in someone's best interest to use the card
Not wait six months, it does not gain interest sitting in the drawer at home, it only increased the chance of fraud and loss
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Steeljag wrote:
bid_time wrote:
How does someone use a gas card without the card itself? I have several gas cards, you have to present the card to be run through the scanner in order to use it. It's not like an Visa card where you can order online. The thief must have been in cahoots with a Shell gas station employee in order to make a purchase without the actual card in hand. I would think it would be pretty easy for Shell to identify what clerk(s) were working at the time of the fraud. Then you have your pool of likely suspect(s). Then time to review the video.

I am also wondering how the card info can be used without the card? Do you not need the card to enter it "swipe" it at the pump?

Anyway, sorry you lost out on your purchase !

One could walk out of the store with the Shell card, keep it any number of weeks, copy it (tape VCR recording material onto a piece of plastic and then use a copy machine to write all the essential data onto the fake card) then return the real card back to the rack, where it is purchased any number of weeks later, and they already have a duplicate of that card data. They only need to wait a while, and check the card balance to see when it has been activated.

I guess the idea is to use up the card as quickly as possible after purchase. . .
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com