cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Storage on rear of travel trailer?

jesseannie
Explorer
Explorer
I love my travel trailer but the outside storage area is very limited.
There is only one outside accessible storage it is hardly big enough for my water hose and sewer draining supplies.
I would like to add more storage on the back.
I would like to have room for my spare tire, blue tote, maybe a 5 gallon water container and my Weber-Q etc.
Enclosed or open??
What have you done??
jesseannie
14 REPLIES 14

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
My next door neighbor had a bike rack with 2 bikes attached to his rear bumper. On one ride he lost one of the bikes and damaged the other. He has given up on putting things on the back. Everything goes inside now and he also tows with a pickup so he has a bed there.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

jesseannie
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses.
I do not want to add a hitch mounted carrier just for reasons mentioned: it sticks out from the back of the trailer too far and could easily be overloaded and create a problem.
If I do this it will be a welded extension to the frame and fit tightly against the back of the trailer.
I thought about what I would carry and it will be limited to 200# including the carrier.
Maybe then it will not explode......

jesseannie

pira114
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you put anything on the bumper, the trailer will actually explode.

Unless you have a 1 ton dually. Or a Propride hitch. Then you can load it up all you want.

Just messing with all of ya.

I had my Gen on the back of my 26ft Wilderness. Haven't noticed any difference since I removed it. Only reason I did was my new storage spot has an extreme driveway and I hit it pretty hard going in or out. Had to come off.

So if that's not an issue, I don't see an issue with a plastic box, BBQ, and assorted supplies. I'd be careful how heavy of a bumper you add maybe.

Personally, under 150lbs, I'd probably use an elevated cargo tray that uses the rear receiver.

Blue_Hill
Explorer
Explorer
I like the idea of the hitch on the front of the truck. It brings with it the ability to hitch your trailer to the front of the truck if you ever need to back into a real tight spot. Especially if you're as bad as me at backing up a trailer. ๐Ÿ˜„
If you still like the idea of the rear of the trailer, I would stay away from fastening anything to the bumper, but rather attach a receiver hitch to the frame. Google Curt Hitches. They make universal hitches specifically for this purpose. They aren't cheap, but they are very well built and then you can go to Harborfreight and get one of those lightweight carriers to attach your containers to. JMHO.
2011 Gulfstream Streamlite Sport 25TSS
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
Honda EU3000IS

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Get a hitch installed on the front of your truck and add a cargo carrier for your extra stuff. Many of my RV friends have found this works the best. Cargo carrier goes right into receiver when you need it, take it off when you don't.

Then put the spare on the back.

Don't see a problem adding a 'square bumper spare tire mount' just for the tire only, "IF" your bumper is attached properly and the bumper itself is cast steel and not some flimsy metal as some new TT's have.

This is the one I have. It is easy to remove the tire and does come with bike rack. I use the bike rack holder for my lawn chairs.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
The trailer I have is a front kitchen and 26+ feet long so a couple hundred pounds on the back will not be a problem.

I have a trailer almost exactly like your and I can tell you this. If my DW put three luggage cases on the bed (rear bedroom) it causes sway. Move them to the front and no more sway. If your right on the border of sway this WILL cause sway. It will all depend you the weights and balances of your trailer.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

jesseannie
Explorer
Explorer
Let me clarify: If I am going to do this it will NOT be an accessory that I would attach to the bumper.
I have an older Prowler with a real beefy frame. I would remove the existing bumper and weld on heavy steel extensions.
The trailer I have is a front kitchen and 26+ feet long so a couple hundred pounds on the back will not be a problem.
The BBQ weighs 20# it is not like I am taking a huge grill and accessories.
We use it every night while camping. The stuff I would put on it is light weight but bulky enough that there is not place for it.
Putting the spare tire under the frame on the front might be a great idea.
jesseannie

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
since you didn't post what trailer you have, if it's an ultralight TT, many will have a warning sticker on the rear bumper.
it states that any modification or added load, to the bumper, will void the frame warranty.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
The box is from Lowes and the frame is angle aliminum pieces bolted together. I keep the leveling blocks and wheel chocks in it:
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
I installed bike carriers. Like this.

On one of them, I used a couple corner braces and some aluminum angle pieces (bolted together), to make vertical supports for tieing down the blue tote. The other one is just right for tieing down a small BBQ. Combined weight of the racks, BBQ, and blue tote, are less than the spare tire. Had to remove the spare tire to make room for the racks.

Currently, I carry the spare in the truck bed. I'm working on something to mount it under the tongue.

End result, little to no change in balance and tongue weight percentage. Actually, tongue weight will go up a few pounds.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
As others have indicated, adding weight to the back is the worst scenario.
If you proceed, I would not put anything heavy back there, like water or fire wood.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
The way our TT bounces around on the bad roads I would be leery of adding very much on the back no matter how much it was reinforced. How about leaving some of that `stuff' behind?
Do you really need a BBQ with all the accessories and a blue tote and extra water? We carry a plug-in Geo Foreman cooker and use it maybe once in two weeks. Carry the blue tote on the ladder.
But we always stay in campgrounds. BTW five gallons of water is about 40 lbs.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Monster9903
Explorer
Explorer
Be careful on adding too much weight to the back end of the tt. You can throw off the balance on the unit when towing and this can add to the unit wanting to sway. If anything you want to be a little nose heavy. I put the spare tire and bike rack on the back but that is it. Also look underneath and see how the unit is built. My old Fleetwood TT was built really chintzy and I wouldn't add anything more than I did with some serious support issues. Good luck.
Charlie & Robin
Daughter Sam and Son Nate
2000 Chevy Silverado
2014 Jayco Jay Feather X18D

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
I did all of this on my TT.

#1 - Reinforce the rear bumper to the frame & add a 2" receiver hitch. Offset the receiver from center to accommodate the spare tire carrier.

#2 - Add a ULTRA FAB spare tire carrier. Move the carrier as far to one side or the other as you can, without obstructing the tail light. This carrier tilts forward. You probably only need the fixed position version.

#3 - Cargo carrier from HF like THIS ONE It Raises the rack higher & not straight out from the receiver.

#4 - If needed, a cargo cover from HF like THIS ONE It's water resistant, not water proof, but does keep out dust, etc.

# 5 - Find plastic storage containers that will fit into the cargo carrier. I got mine from Walmart. 4 of them fit perfectly inside the carrier & inside the cover. Can't remember which ones I got.

#6 - SPARE TIRE COVER

I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74