cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Strange story - Turn your water off while driving

Well here is a one in a million shot!!

I just spent a week at a nice peaceful lake out in the mountains, no hookups, just the genny to keep things going. It was absolutely wonderful, and no cell reception, another bonus.

Oh, and this was the maiden voyage for my new to me TT.

Well, this morning was time to return to reality so I packed things up and hit the road for the 200 mile trip home.

About 5 miles out of camp I realized I forgot to shut the water pump and hot water tank off, as I was using them for last minutes cleanups.

I shrugged it off, no big deal, I have run more times with the water on than I have with it off. I'll shut them off next time I stop.

I got about 35 miles down the road and thought I would pull into a stop to grab a bite to eat, so I did. I got to the side of my TT and heard the water pump running rapidly, as they do when they are out of water. And I also heard my hot water tank running, and the tank gurgling like mad. Hmmmm, odd, I know I have half a tank of fresh water. I get inside, shut the pump off and investigate.

Something I forgot to put away was the bottle of shampoo and a bottle of body wash that were sitting on the little shelves in the molded shower enclosure. They fell off as soon as I left camp and one of them fell down and struck the hot water tap in the tub on just exactly the right angle and turned the tap on!!:E:E

Unbelievable! What are the chances of the bottle hitting the tap in such a manner as to turn it on? I'd say a million to one!!

So it proceeded to empty the fresh water tank into the bathtub. Well the grey tank was about half full already so this process topped it right up. I could see the grey tank level full, at the top of the tub drain.

I'm still shaking my head in amazement! Fortunately there was a dump station a couple miles back down the road so I went back, emptied the tanks and refilled the fresh water tank.

No harm done, no damage but there sure could have been. Guess it's time to make a checklist for packing up...... Darn CRS Syndrome anyways!!
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com
25 REPLIES 25

restlesswind
Explorer
Explorer
silvercorvette wrote:
restlesswind wrote:
silvercorvette wrote:
Dick_B wrote:
We shut off the pump EVERY time we leave the RV for anything longer than a trip to the CG shower.

I started doing that a while back. I was laying in bed watching TV and noticed that every 30 minutes the pump would turn on for 2 seconds, I decided to turn it off if I don't need water.

Silvercorvette,I would say that you have a leak somewhere in the water system. No other reason for the pump to go on. Even with the pump off,if your are hooked up to city water,the leak is probably still leaking.The pump is a good warning system.
No need to go into great detail how I know.Suffice to say I have a
water leak to repair.

My best / only option it to ignore it and to pretend it does not exist. I am living in my camper parked in a driveway of the house I am selling. I have a minimal amount of tools and my main objective is to remove my personal belongings from the house so I can get back home to SC. I have a buyer and am waiting for all the paperwork to be signed. I have no water hook up so I am existing on what is in the tank along with a 5 gallon cooler and a case of bottled water for myself and my dogs to drink. I did suspect that something needed to be repaired but for now I'll pretend it never happened and erase it from my mind.

I have to admit,that option has worked for me a few times in the past.
I can understand that there are time when it is the only option.
Good luck with the sale and trip back to SC.
'04 33.5 CKQG Hitchhiker Discover America
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06

silvercorvette
Explorer
Explorer
restlesswind wrote:
silvercorvette wrote:
Dick_B wrote:
We shut off the pump EVERY time we leave the RV for anything longer than a trip to the CG shower.

I started doing that a while back. I was laying in bed watching TV and noticed that every 30 minutes the pump would turn on for 2 seconds, I decided to turn it off if I don't need water.

Silvercorvette,I would say that you have a leak somewhere in the water system. No other reason for the pump to go on. Even with the pump off,if your are hooked up to city water,the leak is probably still leaking.The pump is a good warning system.
water leak to repair.

My best / only option it to ignore it and to pretend it does not exist. I am living in my camper parked in a driveway of the house I am selling. I have a minimal amount of tools and my main objective is to remove my personal belongings from the house so I can get back home to SC. I have a buyer and am waiting for all the paperwork to be signed. I have no water hook up so I am existing on what is in the tank along with a 5 gallon cooler and a case of bottled water for myself and my dogs to drink. I did suspect that something needed to be repaired but for now I'll pretend it never happened and erase it from my mind.
2014 4 WD Silverado 403 CI diesel long bed dually, B&W hitch with 95 Gallon Auxiliary Fuel Tank, pulling a 33 foot Holiday Rambler Alumascape suite, Winegard SK-3005 TRAV'LER slimline dish, Splendide 2100 XC washer dryer, TST Tire Pressure monitor system.

restlesswind
Explorer
Explorer
silvercorvette wrote:
Dick_B wrote:

water leak to repair.
'04 33.5 CKQG Hitchhiker Discover America
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
I want to add what happened this weekend for me.
I have a truck camper. I went on a 3 day fishing trip, taking my little dog along since DW went to visit her mother out of town and flew. On the second day, I got an early start fishing at 5am. I had turned off the water and the hot water. However, I had left a pot on the stove that had some residual food in it. After I left, the dog must have smelled the pot and hopped up on the step to the overhead cab bed, then on to the counter. But in doing so, he hit the water pump switch and the hot water switch. Once on the counter, he nudged the hot water tap. At least the water faucet was over the sink and not off to the side. When I got back to shore, I could hear the dog howling. As I got closer, I could hear the water pump running and the hot water heater growling. I jumped in and shut the pump off and turned off the propane tank. Once I got home Sunday, first thing I did was relocated the master battery kill switch so I could operate it every time I go in and out of the camper. That was a little scarey.

silvercorvette
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:

2014 4 WD Silverado 403 CI diesel long bed dually, B&W hitch with 95 Gallon Auxiliary Fuel Tank, pulling a 33 foot Holiday Rambler Alumascape suite, Winegard SK-3005 TRAV'LER slimline dish, Splendide 2100 XC washer dryer, TST Tire Pressure monitor system.

Mocoondo
Explorer II
Explorer II
cekkk wrote:
Mocoondo wrote:
...I always turn the water pump and/or city water off at the bib any time I plan on leaving the coach for any length of time.

Good idea. Our commode has continued to run a time or two but we caught it as we were in the trailer. I believe I'll take your tip to heart. But just in case, I'll also turn off the water heater gas/electric at the same time. May be overkill, but it's just too easy to pass up.

I also keep the HWH off when not in use. Otherwise just seems like a waste of LP to me. My "drill" is to turn the HWH on in the morning when I get up and by the time we are through with breakfast and coffee, we have plenty of hot water for doing dishes, showering, etc. Same goes for dinner. When we start dinner, we start the HWH. By the time dinner is over, we have hot water for dishes, cleanup, etc.

cekkk
Explorer
Explorer
Mocoondo wrote:
...I always turn the water pump and/or city water off at the bib any time I plan on leaving the coach for any length of time.

Good idea. Our commode has continued to run a time or two but we caught it as we were in the trailer. I believe I'll take your tip to heart. But just in case, I'll also turn off the water heater gas/electric at the same time. May be overkill, but it's just too easy to pass up.
'11 Eagle 320RLDS '02 Ford F350 DRW 7.3 PSD
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein."

Mocoondo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow are you lucky. That could have been a real mess. I experienced a similar situation years ago that did not end as well as yours. I accidentally left the city water on and we left the coach for a day of sightseeing. As Murphy's Law would have it, at some point, the toilet valve malfunctioned, filled up the bowl and then overflowed. Of course, I was hooked up to city water at this time, so the toilet had an unlimited supply of water for the entire day. Got back to the unit at around dinner time to find a very wet mess. From that day on, I always turn the water pump and/or city water off at the bib any time I plan on leaving the coach for any length of time.

cekkk
Explorer
Explorer
Murphy's law!
'11 Eagle 320RLDS '02 Ford F350 DRW 7.3 PSD
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein."

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
Not such a strange story...

We know some folks that forgot to turn off the water pump and while they were driving the kitchen faucet turned on (just from bumpy roads) - there was a cover over the sink. The trailer was flooded and water ran out the door when they opened it.

We have a note pinned over our door that says "Water Off?" We don't leave without turning pump or water spigot OFF.

You were lucky Uncle Bob. ๐Ÿ™‚

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

moe f wrote:
Did you stop and buy a lottery ticket??

Haven't bought a lottery ticket in 25 or more years
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS

Dave H M wrote:
I think the moral of the story is to take the bottles/jugs down in the shower before hitting the road. :h

I meant to take them out as I knew the bottles would fall, but CRS strikes and I forgot.

For those who don't know, CRS is Can't Remember Stuff. (or a different S word!)

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
Have a friend that says when you are not in the RV "TURN THE WATER OFF". It is not "IF" something leaks, it is "WHEN" it leaks. While hooked up to city water and while we were in the motor home, the water valve leaked and the commode over flowed. Ruined the floor and it was a very expensive repair. We now have a water alarm in the bath area. My circumstances were totally different, but "when" not "if".
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

moe_f
Explorer
Explorer
Did you stop and buy a lottery ticket??