cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Temp Regulation in Norcold Fridge

I have a 121X series Norcold fridge - 12 cu. ft. I think. It seems to do a poor job of regulating the temperature inside the fridge. For example:

Note: All of these examples occurred without large changes in outside temperature, excessive opening/closing of doors, and after the temp had been stabilized for at least a few days. Also, the outside temps have been in the low 70's to the low 80's, and I have virtually no ice build up on fins. Don't know if it matters or not, but we have been on the road for about 7 weeks.

1) Temp climbed slowly from 34 to 40 and then returned to around 34. Happened multiple times whether on electric or LP.

2) Temp climbed to around 41 on LP, and I thought it should have cycled on by then, so I turned it off and back on (rebooted the control circuitry ?) and the gas burner came on immediately. Temp returned to low 30's after a day.

3) Most recent example: Over a period of 3 days on LP, temp rose gradually from 34 to 44. I increased the "Temp" setting from 7 to 9, but that did no good. Finally, I put a small battery-operated fan in the fridge, and the temp has come down to 36 after 2 days.

It seems to me that the control circuitry may be allowing too much temperature variation. I did get very concerned when the temp rose to 44.

Comments?
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax
10 REPLIES 10

jogasper
Explorer
Explorer

I had a Norcold, Model N10LXR, refrigerator in a slide out for 15 years and it ran flawlessly! Last year the ammonia leaked out and I replaced it with a brand new, same model fridge, $3500.00. This new fridge has been nothing but trouble trying to maintain the correct temperatures. I think like  everything else, Norcold is manufacturing junk presently!

TheNorcoldGuy
Explorer
Explorer
CarnationSailor wrote:
TheNorcoldGuy wrote:
You're right about the fans, although the Norcold 1200/ 1210 does have two fans mounted at the top. If those fans aren't coming on at all and you're in a warm climate, you probably have either bad fans or a bad fan thermostat. You can get to the fan thermostat from the roof vent. Try bypassing it to see if you can get the fans to come on. If they come on, you know that the issue is your thermostat.

The fans seem to be working as expected, and we have not been in really hot weather. Highs in the mid-60's to low 80's.

Since my original post, the temp has once again risen to 43 and then dropped off to 34. As before, this happened with very little opening/closing of doors. It still seems to me that the thermocouple and/or control circuitry is just waiting too long to react to rising temps inside the box.

I called Norcold customer service, but gave up after being on hold a long time.

The ambient temps you're in aren't all that hot so it really should be working properly if your ventilation is done right (and most are NOT). You should post a couple of pictures to this thread of how your ventilation looks from the top vent straight on, looking down and then one from the lower vent looking up. The most important things are that you are forcing air across the condenser fins (the fins at the top of the cooling unit) and then that the hot air is being forced out of the upper vent. In a slideout with two sidewall vents, you may need a baffle angled in a half moon shape going from the back topside of the refrigerator to the top of the upper vent.

This doesn't sound like a board issue. If it's intermittent, it's more likely that the issue is with voltage or the thermistor.

Yes, I am "The Norcold Guy" from thenorcoldguy.com. That being said, we are NOT affiliated with them and certainly don't stand behind decisions made by the company. Seek Adventure, LLC is the company and we work on all RV refrigerators and air conditioners. Don't beat me up over any issues you have with the Norcold brand!

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
lynndiwagon wrote:
I wonder if anyone has a Norcold in a slideout that really works?
yes but those I'm aware of all have additional fans on them
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

lynndiwagon wrote:

Mine is in a slide-out, and except for the wide temperature variation (which so far hasn't led to any food spoilage), it works pretty good.

lynndiwagon
Explorer
Explorer
Lynn & Diana Wagoner
Three Boston Terriers
2011 Chevy 3500HD, DRW, 4X4
2014 Big Country 3650RL
Retired

TheNorcoldGuy wrote:
You're right about the fans, although the Norcold 1200/ 1210 does have two fans mounted at the top. If those fans aren't coming on at all and you're in a warm climate, you probably have either bad fans or a bad fan thermostat. You can get to the fan thermostat from the roof vent. Try bypassing it to see if you can get the fans to come on. If they come on, you know that the issue is your thermostat.

The fans seem to be working as expected, and we have not been in really hot weather. Highs in the mid-60's to low 80's.

Since my original post, the temp has once again risen to 43 and then dropped off to 34. As before, this happened with very little opening/closing of doors. It still seems to me that the thermocouple and/or control circuitry is just waiting too long to react to rising temps inside the box.

I called Norcold customer service, but gave up after being on hold a long time.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
A real Norcold guy ? Neat!
Welcome to the forums but I hope you have your padded fire suit on because there are a few that aren't very nice, but we know who they are.
Jeff - WA6EQU

TheNorcoldGuy
Explorer
Explorer

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Per 121X Owners Manual:

Temperature control system:
Although the refrigerator is not frost -free, it is made to limit frost on the cooling fins.
At regular intervals, the temperature control system automatically melts most of the frost from the cooling fins.
The water from the cooling fins drains into a collection cup that is attached to the back of the refrigerator.
The heat of the cooling system evaporates the water from the collection cup
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Did it have food in it or was it empty?
Everyone, including NORCOLD should be putting fans in their fridges and don't. Dometic seems to have started on at least one model I saw at the show. Obviously they help
Jeff - WA6EQU