cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The connection between the holding tank and the drain...

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
Through a comedy of errors, I 'tore' the drains off from my holding tanks...THE BEST NEWS is that I was acting as one of those people NOT using the camper restroom for big potty! (I know folks are sometimes over the top about that, but there's no foul for a quick trip and one person to 'be tough' and go to the campground restroom and save the time of dumping)

Anyway- I was amazed to learn that both the black and gray tank connections were not glued, but 'slip in' and 'hose clamp' and I didn't actually TEAR it off, it simply pulled out (more luck).

Quick question- when I put it all back, is there a 'sealing substance' I should put in the joint? Pipe thread putty? Sink drain putty? Some crazy special camper material?
12 REPLIES 12

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yup. Some Canadian campers with a rental came into the store this summer with the dump piping dangling from a pipe hanger. They run over something on the highway and it kicked back. Grabbed a 3 inch flexible coupling from the black pipe shelfs and had them back of the road in a half hour.

I did feel bad for the people on the road behind them.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago I noted a tiny black water drip and tracked it down to the connection I think your referring to - didn't take it apart (tank was full) but did tighten the hose clamp and the drip stopped. I would't be surprised if there was a rubber gasket at the end - but maybe not. Shouldn't be hard to test without gasket and see what happens. I have an older Fleetwood so maybe the same setup?
Kevin

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
Been there seen that!...I would just unscrew hose clamps and re insert your pipes and then put hose clamps back on.

The true power of a discussion forum... amidst a lot of pure, unfounded, spewed opinions, someone with directly-applicable experience.

Thank you.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
K3WE wrote:
Sorry guys, appreciate the replies but that's not the way it is...

There is a standard "hose clamp" around the flange at the end of the tank. The black PVC slipped up in there about an inch, and there is no evidence of glue on the pipe. Same set up on gray and black tanks (different diameters of course).

Camper is a 15 YO Fleetwood Terry. The true bad thing is that it's 27 ft but has the axle over the springs...very little clearance for the drains at the far rear...

AND for the record, this set up has been water tight for 15 years...

Anyway- I was amazed to learn that both the black and gray tank connections were not glued, but 'slip in' and 'hose clamp' and I didn't actually TEAR it off, it simply pulled out (more luck).

That sounds like a standard plumbing fix. Been there seen that! :B

I had the holes on where the valve blade screw in break on the side going to the tank. That pipe and valve holder was one molded piece to the whole tank.

The fix (to my surprise too) is to put a standard residential plumbing fix. They cut the pipe after the tank and before the valve blade holder, added a new piece of pipe with new valve holder and inserted what looks like a rubber sleeve and hose clamps to join the pipe/repair it. NO glue what so ever is needed. And yes it IS water tight.

The previous owner must have done this to both pipes gray and black when maybe he replace the entire y connection.

I would just unscrew hose clamps and re insert your pipes and then put hose clamps back on.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

GottaRunGottaCa
Explorer
Explorer
RTV silicone - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RTV_silicone
RTV Silicone (Room-Temperature-Vulcanizing silicone) is a type of silicone rubber made from a two-component system (base plus curative; A+B) available in a hardness range of very soft to medium--usually from 15 Shore A to 40 Shore.
2016 F350
2019 Heartland Torque TQ-371

tinstartrvlr
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto on the acronyms; second time I've seen "rtv" used. I give up-what is rtv?

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
newman fulltimer wrote:
rtv

Sorry, I don't do acronyms.

newman_fulltime
Explorer II
Explorer II
there should be a gum tape around the pipe. if not just use some rtv and slide it in tighten the clamp

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
troubledwaters wrote:
I would think they should be glued. I have never heard of an "approved" plastic system that would be just "pushed together". I wonder if you would not being going through this in the first place if it had been glued at the factory?

If it had been glued at the factory, I anticipate it would have broken IN the tank and then I might be SOL....literally.

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry guys, appreciate the replies but that's not the way it is...

There is a standard "hose clamp" around the flange at the end of the tank. The black PVC slipped up in there about an inch, and there is no evidence of glue on the pipe. Same set up on gray and black tanks (different diameters of course).

Camper is a 15 YO Fleetwood Terry. The true bad thing is that it's 27 ft but has the axle over the springs...very little clearance for the drains at the far rear...

AND for the record, this set up has been water tight for 15 years...

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
There should be a black compression gasket on the pipe. The tighter you tighten the flange nut, the more the washer compresses and holds the inner pipe. Standard plumbing fare.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would think they should be glued. I have never heard of an "approved" plastic system that would be just "pushed together". I wonder if you would not being going through this in the first place if it had been glued at the factory?