cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The Longest Sewer Connection You've Made?

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
Question out of semi-idle curiosity, looking ahead to a summer plan of many many long weekends in the RV.

What's the longest sewer hose connection you've ever had to make?

I'm thinking it'd be a rare site where I'd need more than our 15 & 5 foot hoses connected. ?
24 REPLIES 24

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've been lucky enough to not need to use my thief yet, but I surely will put some clamps in my tool box. Good idea, thanks. BTW I don't leave the hose connected, I just hook it up long enough to refill the fresh water tank if needed.
Puma 30RKSS

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Iโ€™ve needed 40 feet once! I had 2 connectors to use my 20โ€™, and 2 10 footers. The hoses were stretched pretty good. I had an extra 10 footer but not another connector.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you plan to travel around much and camp at older CGs, 20' could be too short in some cases. The location of your outlet(s) could also be a factor (we have one at rear and another ahead of the axles).

We've been to some CGs where power & water are at the rear of a site and sewer at the front (and vice versa) and some where 4 sites share a common pedestal which may force you to run your hose under your TT and you'll need more hose. I think 40' is as long as we've needed so far but have 60' at our disposal. I installed a Valterra sewer hose carrier under our TT for and bought 2 high quality hoses for it which are the ones I regularly use. Two of the old hoses are now in the bumper and 2 more are stuffed in a cavity behind the shower "just in case".

Nowadays there are codes that dictate hookups are to be on the left side and rear of a site and where the inlets are to be on an RV.

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
Came up short once with a 20 Ft hose.

Now carry 30.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
it takes both hands to use the โ€˜water thiefโ€™. one to hold the thief onto the faucet and the other to hold the valve open. even then plan on getting wet.

I use a hose clamp on the faucet side of the water thief. I just take my cordless drill with a socket to fit the hose clamp. Takes a sec to tighten. I still have to pay attention to it but not nearly as much as without. Only time it will blow off when using the hose clamp is when the faucet has extremely high water pressure and I crank it wide open.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
it takes both hands to use the โ€˜water thiefโ€™. one to hold the thief onto the faucet and the other to hold the valve open. even then plan on getting wet.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
bucky wrote:
We frequent various gov parks. Some have electric only at the sites with water available at various spots around the loops. The maps are never accurate as to those locations. I carry 300 feet of fresh water hose as a result. It saves having to move the camper or use a water bag and pump on longer stays.

I'm curious .... how do you connect your water hose onto those smooth thread-less faucet nozzle outlets in gov parks? And once you get it connected so as to be leak-proof, how do you hold the faucet handle open on those faucets with a spring loaded handle?

I've tried the Water Thief and it doesn't work. The last state park we stayed at I had to keep hand refilling a 2-gallon bucket and walking back and forth between the RV and the faucet until the FW tank was filled.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
Our 40' Destination Trailer has 2 sewer outlets. The front outlet is just a few feet from the sewer connection, but the back outlet is just over 20'. We plan to setup a permanent sewer connection and do away with the stinky slinky.

With our motorhome, we had a 15' hose and a 10' hose. The 15' hose was always enough.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
We frequent various gov parks. Some have electric only at the sites with water available at various spots around the loops. The maps are never accurate as to those locations. I carry 300 feet of fresh water hose as a result. It saves having to move the camper or use a water bag and pump on longer stays.
I carry 30 feet of black hose. If it looks iffy when arriving we use the bath house when possible or just dump on the way out.
Puma 30RKSS

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Theres only been a couple of times we have needed more than 15' of waste hose in our 40 years if we parked the rig the way the site was built. Weve had tts with rear dumps, after axle dump, now 5er with center dump fore of axles.
The issue is if someone wanted to park differently. Think Toy hauler, park way forward for tail gate, or buddy site to face door to door throw hoses under to dump on door side. Another consideration is old trailers like Airstreams with the dump under the back bumper. Many camps were built for that back when.
Lets not even go into the many types of units, an 40' A mh towing a 32' cargo trailer? A Crewcab longbed P/U towing a rear dump trailer? The perfect hookup location for each is long ways apart.
Carry the extra hoses, ext. cords for your unit. No matter how or when the camp was- is you have what it takes.
Besides, whenever a hose takes a leak, you have a spare.

soren
Explorer
Explorer
Been a few hundred places in the last twenty years. Always have 30' of slinky, a 25' 30Amp extension cord, and two 25' water hoses. A grand total of one time that I couldn't make the sewer hose work, power and water were fine. The sewer problem was just flat out weird. It was a city park, with sites about 70-80' apart. Some idiot put all the utility connections dead center between sites. Saw a few light duty extension cords in use, and folks borrowing hoses to fill water tanks.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
One campground from my Rig to the Gray water dump was 75 Feet.

One spot it was 40 feed (That was a full sewer hookup)
Where I'm at just now 25 feet
I have 40 feet of hose (15/20 and 5 feet) so I'm never "Short" plus the macerator with a 50' Black and 25' Gray hose. if I really, Really need 'em.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dieselbobcat
Explorer
Explorer
Macerator here too... two 25' sections of 3/4" black rubber hose... uphill or downhill... have gone to 75'- never a problem for the poop cannon!
2014 Rockwood Ultralight 8312SS Diamond Edition
2016 F350 Super Duty Crew Cab Lariat Ultimate 4X4 6.2L

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
We've used 50' of 3" hose to reach a working sewer connection a few times over the years, but 30' is generally the most we need, and by far one or two sections of 10' hose take care of most hook ups.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate