cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$500 fine San Antonio

Jram
Explorer
Explorer
Yesterday The city of San Antonio raised the fine for parking “oversized” vehicles in any residential area. Went up from $35 to $500. No parking in the street , no parking in driveway not even for trip prep. Oversized vehicle are any boat or trailer over 24’ long, over 8’ wide, or taller than 8’.

I get it about large rv ‘s parked in driveways forever but no exceptions for trip prep? Come on! Is it like that anywhere else? Has anyone had any problems with this?
65 REPLIES 65

mudhound
Explorer
Explorer
We live in the boon docks. LOVE IT!
:C

God Bless

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I highly recommend you do your due diligence before buying any class B RV under the assumption it will fly under the radar. Many municipalities and most HOAs will not allow any vehicle with holding tanks and other tattle tale signs of being an RV. Good luck!

ctilsie242
Explorer II
Explorer II
It could be worse. I've encountered a neighborhood in central Texas which had a HOA that actively enforced (as in towed away + $250 "eyesore" fee) a rule that all vehicles had to be five years or newer, and they had to be "luxury" car makes (Acura, Lexus, Mercedes). No Toyotas, etc. The rationale was that if a neighborhood only had high-zoot cars, it ensured property values would remain high.

Austin has started getting RV hostile. So, this is part of the reason why I'm looking at a class "B" or a truck camper. A truck camper is considered "cargo" here in Texas, not an RV. A class "B" is a van, so there are no regulations prohibiting those as there are with trailers.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
TNGW1500SE wrote:
Makes me happy that I live on 23 acres in the middle of the woods. I don't know how people can stand living that close together.

We feel the same ... but one doesn't need 23 acres to be spread out enough so as to not bother each other with complaints and rules.

We enjoy the same freedoms on only 3 acres. Well, almost the same freedoms ... we do hear the music from weekend functions at a winery on the moutaintop behind us.

No problem exercising our RV's generator all we want, though. 😉
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

NCC-1701
Explorer
Explorer
TNGW1500SE wrote:
Makes me happy that I live on 23 acres in the middle of the woods. I don't know how people can stand living that close together.

AMEN!!!! No one telling me what I can park where and for how long.
"Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning." Captain Kirk in Star Trek VI 'The Undiscovered Country'

2007 39K Winnebago Journey "The Enterprise"
Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
gemsworld wrote:
hotbyte wrote:
Because every Home/neighborhood not stiffled by ridiculous HOA rules looks like that???

It only takes one or two slobs to ruin a neighborhood.

Or snobs...
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
hotbyte wrote:
Because every Home/neighborhood not stiffled by ridiculous HOA rules looks like that???
I believe that is the impression they are trying to get across. There actually are some places without HOA's that are very nice, and you can park your truck in your driveway. With freedom will also come abuses by some, just like many freedoms.

Absolutely!
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
hotbyte wrote:
I believe that is the impression they are trying to get across. There actually are some places without HOA's that are very nice, and you can park your truck in your driveway. With freedom will also come abuses by some, just like many freedoms.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Community Alumni
Not applicable
hotbyte wrote:

It only takes one or two slobs to ruin a neighborhood.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
gemsworld wrote:
"Yeah, heaven knows looks are much more important than liveability, or useability."

Would you buy a home next door to a property that looks like this?

LOL. That's ugly. I'm spending some time in Texas at my kids house. I stopped at the building dept to just ask a couple questions about the soil in this area and what type of slab they suggest IF we decide to build something. This woman told me 5 times that I must have a permit and everything has to be done by code. I kept telling her that I understand that and finally told her that these kids are having another baby soon so WE ARE NOT DOING ANYTHING. WE ARE THINKING AND PLANNING TO SEE IF IT"S EVEN FEASIBLE. You know $30,000 garage or just resign himself to a $3,000 shed.

But as I ride around many of these areas there are unbelievable trashed out properties. The roadsides in many areas look like the walking dead zone. But they are big on enforcing the code. They'd have to get off there dead rears and open their eyes as they drive home. I thought about moving over here but the more I see and think about it I believe you'd have to pay me. As I see it the only way to do it is to be in an HOA where the dirt bags cant go.

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

Community Alumni
Not applicable
"Yeah, heaven knows looks are much more important than liveability, or useability."

Would you buy a home next door to a property that looks like this?

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:

About 3-4 years later city came up with new codes addressing the issue. No exclusions city wide.
Finally the neighborhood started looking great instead of a 3rd world country slum.
Yeah, heaven knows looks are much more important than liveability, or useability.

There's always the matter of property values... try selling your house when the neighbor's front yard looks like a salvage operation.

Do you mean like when they just roll the vehicle over in the front yard because it's easier to get the trans out? Then they keep it there for years because they may just need a nut or bolt off of it some day. 🙂

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
drsteve wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:

About 3-4 years later city came up with new codes addressing the issue. No exclusions city wide.
Finally the neighborhood started looking great instead of a 3rd world country slum.
Yeah, heaven knows looks are much more important than liveability, or useability.

There's always the matter of property values... try selling your house when the neighbor's front yard looks like a salvage operation.
Yeah, heaven knows property values are much more important than liveability or useability.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"