cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

There are so many things I don't understand

aslakson
Explorer
Explorer
Currently it's the guy who's spent most of a half hour trying to back his fiver into a pull-thru site. There must be a logical explanation - he is human, after all - and we humans are rational beings, aren't we?

Free amusements are sometimes the most fun.

al
Fulltiming since Apr 2007 in 2000 Rexhall Aerbus, towing 2012 Honda CRV. 47 of the lower 48 so far.
50 REPLIES 50

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
Hitching up is the only time I (politely) refuse help. I have a routine that ensures I am buttoned up, packed properly, hitched properly and ready for the road. Any help messes up my routine and I end up forgetting to check things.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
I'm cautious about offering help of any kind. I used to do it all the time. In the last 10 years or so I'm noticing more and more rudeness when offering help. I've had 2 incidents where I've offered help and was thanked, only to have them reward us with either lots of noise or family feuds going on.

When I've been asked for help I'm more than happy to and have been rewarded with making new friends. I'm not averse to accepting help if someone offers it either. Though we've got such a routine down that I don't think we've needed help in many years.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

Tinyandthegang
Explorer
Explorer
Some people will just refuse any sort of help. This summer a truck pulling a large fifth wheel was attempting to back into a site two spaces over. On his first attempt he backed squarely into a light pole with a large concrete base and when the trailer would not go any farther he spun his wheels in the gravel trying to push it up the slight grade. He then pulled forward and tried again this time spinning all 4 wheels when he was against the concrete base. I then went over and told him of the concrete he was up against and he just looked at me like I had 3 eyes and had just stepped out of a spaceship. He then pulled forward again and backed up with the same result. His wife who he had been yelling at the whole time then got out and directed him to back in at about a 45 degree angle where he left it.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
In many years of being married and driving, one thing I have learned is to NEVER ask a lady driving a truck anything about her driving! If they need help, or need you to move over, most will ask first, then TELL!
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
This lady in the truck will accept backing help, but generally says the the best help is not to get run over as she zips it in the first time. BTW, I'm kinda proud of her, cause I can't back a lawnmower!
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
One thing that anyoy's me is places that require them to guide me to the site and then they insist on guiding me backing in.

There are so many different ways to back, and different ways to direct someone that I'd much rather either do it myself, or have DW guide me in. WE have a well defined understanding of what our hand signals, voice directions mean and it makes it easy for us to get in.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
I have never thought the man offering to help spot me thought I was incompetent. I assume he knows that there are trees to avoid and I have a gigantic blind spot. I've offered the exact same help to men having a hard time getting into a spot.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

Stefonius
Explorer
Explorer
rjf7g wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Last time I offered a 'extra set of eyes' cause site was 'tight' I got chewed out by lady driver......she had been a bus driver for 20+ years.

As a "lady driver," I have to say that I am offered help quite a lot - mostly backing up a trailer. I can do that just fine, thank you. So many times, it seems as if men are assuming incompetence and most women are quick to say, "I could never do that," feeding in to the assumption of incompetence.
I can't speak for all men, but when I offer assistance it's not because of any perceived inability on the part of the driver.
I think that, "Hey, do you want a hand backing up?" is fairly universal.
"Want me to back that big ol' trailer up for you, little miss?" would be assuming incompetence because of gender bias. ๐Ÿ™‚
2003 F450 Crew Cab, 7.3 PSD "Truckasaurus"
2010 Coachmen North Ridge 322RLT fiver "Habitat for Insanity"
I love my tent, but the DW said, "RV or Divorce"...

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
rjf7g wrote:

I don't know what helpful men can say without sounding corny - "Hey, you look like you know what you're doing but I figure everyone needs help sometime - if you need help while I am around, just holler" . I don't know...heck, I watched a guy with a 3500HD Duramax Dually spend what seemed like an hour trying to back a boat trailer down a ramp I hit the first time...I was hesitant to offer assistance and felt guilty after. I wasn't sure what to say...

Deb here: I'm pretty darn good at backing things up; and Ed and I have a good system of hand signals that usually gets whatever we're pulling parked quickly with a minimum of hassle. But when I've been by myself, I've accepted offers of "an extra set of eyes". I simply ask them to yell stop if I'm about to hit something (and assuming they're not already RVers, I'll point out tail swing and height issues that might crop up).

I DID have a moment, decades ago, while preparing to back a trailer for a tricky and tight shot tub delivery, when an inebriated "helper" said he "wanted to watch the Chick back up the trailer". My first inclination was to say "Bend over and I'll show you where I can back a trailer!" - but better judgement ruled and I simply said "one shot" and put the trailer within inches of the deck the spa was going on..... Realistically, that little snowmobile trailer was a LOT harder to back up than any RV we've ever had....LOL!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
I never spontaneously offer help anymore. Too many rude people, plus I don't need the added liability. If someone has a rig that they can't back into a site, then I think Darwin should take over.

I watched a neighbor (with a new-to-him Monaco) try to use his slide locks to lock the slide OUT. I didn't say anything because I didn't want the first conversation to start with "You're doing it all wrong". Just before I left, I did ask him if he ever got the slide locks figured out, and he admitted that he didn't. It wasn't till then that I mentioned that the lock was for preventing the slide from sliding out.

More recently, a couple pulled into the spot behind us with what was apparently and new class B (temp plates, took 3 tries to get the water connected to the correct place). I just nodded a hello and mentioned that it looked like a brand new rig and went about my business. The next morning it was apparent that they spent a very cold night, so I casually asked if every was working and one of the ladies admitted that they were afraid to run the heat, or even to turn on the propane for hot water. I spent the next half hour showing them how to turn on systems and giving them web sites and apps to look into to make life on the road easier.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

captnjack
Explorer
Explorer
nickthehunter wrote:
That reminds me of a similar question I have always wondered about. Maybe some one here can answer it for me: Why do some people feel the need to make fun of others; and then, just for an extra good measure - post it on an internet forum?

And how does one consider it to be "entertaining" to see other people's misfortunes? Do they think the driver deserves to have trouble because they didn't accept the offer of help? They probably think they're superstars for having offered help but to then be "entertained" by ensuing problems shows what they really are made of. This "pulling up a chair" stuff really takes the cake. Probably the same people who constantly pass judgment on the younger generation.

When it comes right down to it, how do you judge the ability of the stranger offering help? Many a time I've had campground employees "position" me only to have to re-position the trailer myself anyway.

BuckyBadger
Explorer
Explorer
If I need help, I ask for it. Some people are too stubborn to ask

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
We have a pull thru reserved at Lake Louisa State Park (Clermont, FL) for March 2017 but we know we will have to back in due to the location of the trees. The site is big enough for our rig so we will be fine once we back it.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
It takes no effort to offer assistance. It takes no effort to decline the offer. DH and I always offer. More often than not, the offer is gratefully acknowledged and usually our help is accepted. DH says he was always thankful someone offered him help when he was in need. I always spot for him, but I cannot see everything. We take no offense when the offer is declined - even when not done in a way we find kind or appreciative. Sometimes stress opens the door to rudeness without intent. We will continue to offer and we do not become an audience after offer is made. There have been times when we were initially turned down and then asked to help. Always happy to do so. RVing is supposed to help alleviate stress in one's life, not create more!
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

Larry-D
Explorer II
Explorer II
In defense, the most stressful time I have camping is backing into a site. In my mind I'm thinking I got to get off the road, I need to be somewhat straight, I don't want to hit anything.....I got to get off the road... and everybody is watching. And through all of this my wife is the spotter and does a great job.

In a local state park the pull through sites on the perimeter are hard to get into because of the sites' layout, such a immoveable tables, power pedestals, trees---lots of trees, what were they thinking? The last time I tried I ended up having to back in.