cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Things to do in/about Holmes Co., Ohio

bhh
Explorer
Explorer
We're planning a week trip to Holmes Co., Ohio and looking for things not to miss (or to miss). Not really interested in gawking at the Amish I grew up near them, and lived near Amish communities in several states.

I'm into woodworking and my wife is interested in quilting as hobbies. So far on the list:
- Miller's and Zinck's fabric stores
- Keim Lumber and Lehman Hardware
- Historic Roscoe Village and canal
- Warther Museum
- Coblentz Chocolates, Troyer Bologna, Guggisberg Cheese factories
- Downtown Berlin and Millersburg
- Holmes Co. Flea Market
20 REPLIES 20

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
bhh, thanks so much for all of these details. We are planning a trip in June. I was most interested in Lehman's Hardware, and the fabric shops. We're not much interested in antiques/tourist shops. We were going to stay at an Ohio state park and just make a day out of it. We love Ohio. Next trip will be back to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

PS: That Millersburg Hershberger farm has been sighted a few times for running shady puppy mills.

bhh
Explorer
Explorer
TRIP REPORT
-----------

Just got back from our week-long trip there. Here are some of the things we did and saw. I'm a woodworker and my wife is a quilter and sewer, so we have those interests and therefore the review is subjective.

We stayed at "Amish Country Campsites" in Winesburg. We found it well-maintained, clean and friendly. Most all the other campers were of retirement age and went out each day to see the sites or eat out. There is only a small swingset and sandbox, so it's probably not ideal if you have small children. They also have two large trailers where they get wood cut-offs from a local wood manufacturing facility for free firewood. Each site has electric, water, and gray-water dump, and dump station on the way out. A few sites all-grass for tenting, otherwise gravel pads and paths. Easy to get to on OH route 62.

Overall If Holmes Countyโ€™s biggest industry is not tourism, itโ€™s a close second behind woodworking and ahead of agriculture, mostly dairy farms. There are a number of cottage industries at many places. At woodworking shops you can find furniture or wooden bric-a-brac. Youโ€™ll also find hand-woven baskets, baked goods, cheese, sausage, and bulk foods at about every town and many places in between We stopped at a few so donโ€™t have an exhaustive list. Many of the fellow campers make regular trips there for the shopping. This came through while we were there and the story is familiar Amish tourism conundrum

When driving, be alert for buggies, bicycles, and pedestrians on the roadways.

Charm Keim Lumber ***
A large lumber/hardware store. Biggest interest is the room of โ€œexoticโ€ woods. Prices ranging from $50 for a small piece to $4000 for a large piece ready to sit atop legs for a natural edge table or desk

Charm Miller Fabrics ***
Large supply of quilting fabrics and plain fabric for Amish / Mennonite dressmaking. It's my sister's favorite place (retired home-ec teacher and alteration/customer seamstress).

Charm Bulk foods store ****
Small store with lots of โ€œbulk foods,โ€ meaning itโ€™s broken down into small plastic bags or boxes. Grains, spices, pasta, gelatin, etc. We found these mostly good prices.

Walnut Creek Walnut Creek Cheese ***
About the only thing we found that resembles a supermarket grocery store. A lot of locals seem to shop here. In addition to what you find anywhere else, a large deli and meat counter.

Mt. Hope Mrs. Yoderโ€™s Kitchen
We did not get a chance to go there, but several locals raved about the food and especially the semi-annual seafood festival, and warned there is usually a 90 minute wait for a table during the seafood festival.

Walnut Creek Der Dutchman Restaurant ***
About what youโ€™d expect from a large Mennonite / Amish restaurant. Lots of food on the buffet.

Berlin Downtown Berlin *
Tourist trap. Lots of crafty stores and places to eat, lots of traffic. Reminds me of the town scene in Witness movie. Perhaps the most offensive, and for that reason, one we didnโ€™t go to was something like a โ€œHoop-de-do Amish Revueโ€ in the spirit of Hee-Haw. It seemed to mock the culture, although their literature says itโ€™s โ€œrespectful.โ€

Berlin Zinckโ€™s Fabric Outlet ****
Warehouse building with lots of fabrics. Seemed to be mostly seconds, but very reasonable prices. Quantity discounts on whole bolts, some pieces cut to order, some pieces as-is. Tons of buttons. My wife ended up spending a couple of hundred dollars there.

Dover Warther Museum ****
Museum of master carver E. โ€œMooneyโ€ Warther. Exquisite carvings of steam engines and trains in walnut, ebony and ivory that he carved over his lifetime, first ยพ of 20th century. Guided tour well worth it. Original home and Mrs. Wartherโ€™s button collection also on site. Gift shop of mostly kitchen knives made there.

Dalton P. Graham Dunn **
โ€œInspirational worksโ€ All kinds of laser and CNC produced plaques and artwork, mostly Biblical or โ€œFaith Friends Familyโ€ type of stuff. Some very large pieces that would be more appropriate for a church narthex. A little of this goes a long way. They also have a small store across the street from Der Dutchman in Walnut Creek

Walnut Creek German Heritage Museum. **
Limited hours. Small museum of artifacts of the region from settlement by Stotzfus up through WWII.

Kidron Lehman Hardware *
When I was there years ago, it was an overcrowded hardware store that catered to โ€œoff gridโ€ and Amish. While it still has non-electric appliances such as (really expensive) stoves and lamps, itโ€™s mostly tourist now. Resembles a cross between a hardware store and a Cracker Barrel with old stuff hanging from the walls and ceiling. To see where the Amish really shop, go to a much smaller branch in New Hope. A cross between a Do-It-Best hardware store with a wing toward off the grid ware.

Charm Guggisberg Cheese ***
Home of Baby Swiss cheese. While they say you can see โ€œcheese being made,โ€ itโ€™s just a window into their cheese room. At the time we were there, one guy cleaning up. Itโ€™s just really a cheese store with their own and outside cheeses. For a variety, you can get "ends" in a bag that are the last couple of inches or less of cheese bricks as they are being sliced off. Hit-or-miss on the cheese ends.

Millersburg Hershberger Farm **
Collection of a few little shops, veggies, cheese, plants, popcorn. Pony and carriage rides. Petting zoo, puppies for sale.

Millersburg Downtown Millersburg ***
Not so touristy. An historical (late 19th century) downtown area with a few shops. Lots of nice Victorian homes. Beautiful courthouse that is worth a walk around inside. They donโ€™t make them like that any more.

Orrville Smuckerโ€™s Store and Cafe*
Home of Smuckers, makers of jams, jellies, Jif, Crisco, and Folgers. Other than maybe more choices in flavors and some products for the Hispanic market, nothing you could not find in a well-stocked grocery store.

Wooster Everything Rubbermaid ***
Name says it all. Factory store featuring kitchenware, storage totes, commercial (restaurant) products, yard sheds and some Irwin tools. Fourth floor has clearance items. Some boutiques and restaurants within walking distance.

Berlin Holmes County Flea Market *
Bunch of kitsch that you can find at any flea market. A few places with Amish baked goods.

Coshocton Old Roscoe Village ****
One of the highlights of the trip. Guided tour through a number of the historical buildings from the days when this was a bustling town on the Ohio-Erie canal, first half of 19th century. Includes a stop at blacksmith, doctorโ€™s office & home, weaver, school, and print shop. Of special interest is Dennis Knight, the resident leather worker. Not so special if you don't take the tour.

Trail Troyerโ€™s Trail Bologna **
Smoked bologna factory with a small โ€œgeneral storeโ€ next door that sells it (also available elsewhere). I liked it; wife did not.

Berlin Wendell August Forge * Lots of stamped and hammered smallware such as coasters and plates. What I saw was mostly aluminum.

bhh
Explorer
Explorer
We are trying "Amish Country Campsites" Some friends of ours recommended it. Google "satellite view" is a good way to scope out a campground. One of the others we looked at was essentially a parking lot with hook ups.

prujak wrote:
What campground are you camping at?

g1g
Explorer
Explorer
Going along with everything mentioned all I could add is not far from there is the worlds largest basket, Longaberger Basket HQ. and depending on when you are going and when the season starts in Cambridge there is the outdoor drama play The Living Word. They allowed me to boondock in their parking lot. BTW Leghman Hardware in Kidron is amazing I plan on going back.

Rod_Wise
Explorer
Explorer
The Everything Rubbermaid store in Wooster, and Cocchi House resturant in Wooster. Just read that Whispering Hill CG is now a Jellystone Yogi Bear CG, and $65 per night for fhu.
Rod & DeeDee Wise
Good Sam Charter Life Member,IRV2,American Legion,Eagles,RV.Net
07 Chevy SRW 3500,4x4,D/A,ext.cab
04 Everest 343L

richardwise
Explorer
Explorer
Ran out of room, had more to enter. Roscoe Village is a touristy recreation of the Ohio Erie canal, if you want to see more of the canal, drive up my road, within 5 miles of my house are 3 old, original locks, and the shallow ditch in my front yard is what remains of the canal. You can even follow remnants of the canal from New Philadelphia to Coshocton. If you enjoy history, Fort Laurens, just north of here in Bolivar, was the westernmost American fort in the revolutionary war.

richardwise
Explorer
Explorer
bhh wrote:
Thanks for the responses. Anyone know anything about

* Johnson-Humrickhouse Museum
* Ohio Agricultural Research Station
* Schoenbrunn Village

last post went missing, so I'll try to redo.

1- Yes, this is a don't miss when you go to Roscoe Village. Has different rooms of displays from different time eras and cultures from around the world, from frontier America to ancient Japanese and Chinese.
2- never been there, sorry.
3- live less than 5 miles from here, but haven't been there in years. It's a recreation of Ohio's first christian settlement, including the original cemetery with grave stones. Make time to see it.

monaco_part_tim
Explorer
Explorer
Another good place to visit is Wendell August Forge just north of Berlin.

richardwise
Explorer
Explorer
Another place to see, if you're a history buff like me, is Fort Laurens in Boliver, just north of Dover. It was America's westernmost revolutionary war fort. If you are interested in seeing the real Ohio-Erie canal, and not just the touristy Roscoe Village, drive up my road, within about 5 miles of my house are 3 old locks, and the slight ditch in my front yard is what's left of the canal.

eieioh
Explorer
Explorer
You might consider P. Graham Dunn factory in Dalton.

richardwise
Explorer
Explorer
bhh wrote:

* Johnson-Humrickhouse Museum
* Ohio Agricultural Research Station
* Schoenbrunn Village

The museum is a must see when you visit Roscoe Village in Coshocton, Ohio. It has rooms set up with displays from different time era's and cultures. Don't miss the Japanese carved folding wall.

Never been to the Agriculture research station.

Even though I live within 5 miles of Schoenbrunn Village, it's been years since I've been there. It's a re-creation of this area's first christian settlement. For me the most interesting part is the cemetery, and reading the worn gravestones. Reading birth and death dates only days or months apart really speaks of the harsh conditions people suffered and endured to give us the nation we have today.

Candice
Explorer
Explorer
Another great fabric/quilt shop in the area is Somewhere Sewing, 11004 Cr-320, Millersburg, OH 44654

prujak
Explorer
Explorer
What campground are you camping at?
Paul & Patty
Two Grandchildren No pets
2011 Ford F250 Super Duty Lariat
2014 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8329SS

bhh
Explorer
Explorer