cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thoughts on ACME Electric Tow Dolly?

ADOR
Explorer
Explorer
I have been thinking about purchasing a tow dolly to take our 2013 VW GTI with us during road trips (actual car in the picture). I went to a local camping world yesterday and found a parked RV with the exact tow dolly attached. I parked my car next to it to find out if the ramp will clear the bottom of my car. It looked like it will NOT. Also, on the Q&A portion of Camping World's website, it clearly stated that the Loading Ramps are neither removable nor retractable. So, that will be a PROBLEM. Another problem is that this will only take tire size up to 17inches. I have 19inch wheel/tire.

I really like the Roadmaster Camping World, Item # 42252. Cost is $1,679, Freight Cost $500, plus assembly fee of about $600 (It was in one HUGE box and several smaller boxes). Total Cost will be around $2,779.

I found another manufacturer, ACME Tow Dolly with Electric Brake, SKU: 200. Ramps are REMOVABLE. Wheel straps "are completely adjustable from 13 inch to 20 inch tires", according to their website. Cost is $1,699, Shipping $349.99, TOTAL Cost $2,048.99.

Anyone have experience with the AXME Tow Dolly? Good or Bad? Any other company with removable ramps that you can recommend?.

I also looked into FLAT towing. But the cost is a lot more than Tow Dolly. Also with Tow Dolly, I will be able to tow a different car in the future, in case we decide to get another car (as long as it is within the Tow Dolly weight limit).

My Car next to Roadmaster Tow Dolly

ACME Tow Dolly with Electric Brake
31 REPLIES 31

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the tow dolly has steerable wheels, or a rotating pan, the steering wheel MUST be locked. It is only unlocked if you have a dolly that is cheap enough not to have those.

The car should be in PARK or in gear so the front wheels will not turn. The front wheels do not turn going over humps and dips.

The recommendation for the steering wheel unlocked and the car in NEUTRAL is for 4 down towing, not a tow dolly.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

iyamtony
Explorer
Explorer
I See everyone say leave the steering wheel unlocked. Dont y'all think you should also leave the car in neutral? The dolly is going to rotate the front wheels going over humps and dips. Or am I just talking about the obvious. Maybe the book sez to leave it in neutral and I missed. I better go back read it again and pay closer attention.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Hikerdogs wrote:
I find it more than interesting that Acme is now offering a dolly with electric brakes. Over the last couple years there have been several threads comparing surge brakes to electric. In almost every case a representative from Acme has chimed in extoling the virtues of hydraulic surge brakes and vilifying electric brakes.

Obviously it was nothing more than a defense of and promotion for the product they built at the time. It'll be interesting to see if they still vilify electric brakes now that they offer them.

ACME used to sell only one version and it was just the surge brake. They now sell versions with electric brakes and ones without any brakes. I assume it's to tap into the market of those who are not convinced with the surge brakes or are like the OP here that already has a brake controller. The surge brake version is their most expensive version. Go to a Chevrolet dealership to buy a car and they are gonna tell you how much better a corvette is over a Malibu.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

ADOR
Explorer
Explorer
I like one with electric brakes since I already have a Tekonsha P3 brake controller. I already installed it in the Class C, and can take it to my SUV if needed. I have been looking around locally for used ones. Most I saw were in bad shape, and this still want $1,500+. Might as well buy a new one.

ddndoug
Explorer
Explorer
I can't comment on the ACME dolly, but I would make the suggestion to look locally for a used one to save on the assembly fees and shipping costs. Even if you have to go through it with a fine toothed comb and even replace brake assemblies, you come out way ahead of the game.

Doug
2009 Four Winds Hurricane 33T
F53 Ford Chassis w/Triton V-10

Campinghoss
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since we tow different cars depending on what we are doing we went with the ACME surge brake dolly. It is a very well made dolly. It is also easy to move IF you want to or have to unhook from it. We picked ours up at the factory. Personally I would not have a dolly that articulates itself. All you need to do with the ACME is leave the car steering unlocked.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
We had and ACME tow dolly with the surge brakes. We don't have it anymore, not because we didn't like it. But because we no longer had a towable car at the time being. We sold it for what we paid for it as the prices went up a little on them. We will be purchasing another in the future as we now have a towable car. We loved ours...Fortunately for us, we live only an hour away from the manufacturer and pick up from them, saving the freight charge (which is now higher than it was a couple years ago). I don't think you will be dissatisfied with it. If you can swing the extra $100 for the surge (hydraulic brake) one, then I would go that way. No need to worry about a brake controller. They are really nice people and the owner quickly responds to emails.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

vic46
Explorer
Explorer
Hikerdogs wrote:
I find it more than interesting that Acme is now offering a dolly with electric brakes. Over the last couple years there have been several threads comparing surge brakes to electric. In almost every case a representative from Acme has chimed in extoling the virtues of hydraulic surge brakes and vilifying electric brakes.

Obviously it was nothing more than a defense of and promotion for the product they built at the time. It'll be interesting to see if they still vilify electric brakes now that they offer them.

I wouldn't say obviously! More likely a response to market demand for electric brakes as opposed to the surge brake. Excluding the company from a significant part of the tow dolly market isn't a very good business decision in my opinion. Acme likely is still convinced that the surge brake method is superior.
[COLOR=]Never argue with an idiot. You will be dragged down to their level and then beaten with experience.

Hikerdogs
Explorer
Explorer

Hikerdogs
2013 Winnebago Adventurer

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
That American really looks good. Features, weight, capacity, price as in What's Not To Like?

We have surge brakes on our boat trailers, and there's nothing "wrong" with them. On the boats, they have to be disabled to back, but dolly isn't backed with a load on it. All it takes is putting a pin in a hole in the actuator that keeps it from sliding to activate the master cylinder. AND of course to remember to take it out...

That said, I've towed with electric brakes, too. Fiver with F250, TT with SUV. Electric brakes, with the towing vehicle-mounted controller, ARE nicer than Surge. I'd consider an ordinary controller (Tekonsha for example) over a quickie-install one like the American site shows. More wiring but you're industry-standard when you're done.

Surge makes total sense for U-Haul where owners of different vehicles might rent a tow dolly. But if it's going to be one RV, towing one dolly, Go Electric! Hook up a Controller and it's all good. Less upkeep, too...
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Check out this one:

http://www.americancardolly.com/

$1495, delivered FREE, fully assembled.
Turntable steering.
Electric brakes, with the brake controller installed on the dolly for $120, IIRC.

Just my personal opinion, but I don't want any dolly that does not have steerable wheels. Turntable or kingpin steering or no sale!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Greydennyhawk
Explorer
Explorer
We just purchased a new Mazda 3 and are ordering an ACME with the surge brakes.
I had these type of brakes on my boat trailers for years, and they are great!
Denny, Rosie and Josie the Beagle
2016 Allegro 36 LA
2016 Mazda 3

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
First, let me say we don't dolly tow. But, when we bought our current Class C, it came with a Stehl-Tow dolly. Bottom of the line, 13" wheels, no brakes. First time out, we towed our car home with the new RV and absolutely no problems. Still, it had no brakes and Stehl-Tow is not universally liked as a brand.

I think my following two points are valid:

1. Never have I heard one bad thing about the Acme Dolly, and

2. Just speaking on my own, wouldn't the diameter and width of the TIRES be the limiting factor? More so than the RIM Diameter? Your 19" Tires have such a low profile that the diameter the straps have to go around, and the points the straps attach, can accommodate them if they accommodate some tall 15's or 16's. Yes?
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, if I was buying a tow dolly, it would be an ACME.

ADOR
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you. I am fairly new to Class C. Still learning my way around the Class C forum.

ronfisherman wrote:
Moved from Class C.