cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thoughts on WD hitch need

loydt
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought a new Jayco White Hawk 32BH. It has a GVWR of 9995 Lbs and a dry hitch weight of 1,100 Lbs. My truck is a 2018 Ram CC 4x4 dually with the Cummins/Aisin combo and a factory class V hitch. Do I need to mess with a WD hitch for this massive truck?
2021 Jayco Seismic 4212 (on order)
2021 Jayco White Hawk 32BH
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4x4 CC Cummins/Aisin Laramie Longhorn
31 REPLIES 31

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Reisender wrote:
Mike134 wrote:
I have to chuckle at the weight police. I've been on the forum a few years and all you read is you need a bigger truck, blah, blah, blah. The OP has a 1-TON DUALLY ONLY towing a 10,000 trailer and suddenly it's not enough truck?
You guys crack me up.

Safe travels, hitch up and never look back at the forum.

So now Iโ€™m curious. What is the weight rating of new dually receiver. My old dually had two rating. One with and one without.

1800lbs weight dist or weight bearing, 20klbs max trailer weight.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

blt2ski
Mike134 wrote:
I have to chuckle at the weight police. I've been on the forum a few years and all you read is you need a bigger truck, blah, blah, blah. The OP has a 1-TON DUALLY ONLY towing a 10,000 trailer and suddenly it's not enough truck?
You guys crack me up.

Mike,

I've had an 8500 lb trailer behind my 12k empty dump flat bed, with a 188" wb, 8k front axle, and 16.5k Ra manhandle the truck! ALL because it was loaded incorrectly with no hitch weight!

To others and OP,

To adds few other things, 1500 lbs of hw with a typical grawr of 8500, will remove around 200-300 lbs off the fa. Not a big deal. BUT a SW rig with a 6000-7000 grawr loses 309-400 lbs. This from experience is where handling issues from too little wt on the fa occur. Reality, no a WD is not needed for OPs truck.

Also with that said. From experience towing a box with a SW 3500 crew cab with typical 170" wb with 8' bed. I can tow said box loaded correctly with my fingers with no WD. BUT with a WD attached, I notice less side to side rocking of trailer in 20-30 mph side winds. LESS yet with a Reese dual cam. I would suspect less yet with a Hensley. No experience with a Hensley.
I have also been move half a lane to driver's side with a 60-80 mph gusts on I205 going north across Columbia River from Portland. Everything moved as a unit with the dual cam. No side to side uncontrolled fish tail sway.
With above said, I too will add use a WD anti sway system. ALSO make sure your trailer fully loaded can and does pull straight at any speed you are comfortable at. Be that 70 mph, or 60-65 is my general towing max. NOW add the bars for added insurance safety. If the trailer fishtail sways before adding bars. You've attempted to fix an injury with a band aid, when you need a tourniquet! If the bars fail, your screwed. Yes, I've had bars literally fall off, did not notice before driving over one mountain pass with some snow and ice in the roadway. Lightly snowing to boot!

My 02 on ALL the above

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Wonder what the Ram owner's manual recommends. Haven't seen a vehicle manual that doesn't address towing if it's capable of towing.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
loydt wrote:
Sorry for the delay. I can tell you that it's a class V hitch with a tougue weight rating of 1800 lbs per ram website. The truck itself has a maximum trailer tow rating of over 30k pounds.

Thanks for the comeback.

loydt
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for the delay. I can tell you that it's a class V hitch with a tougue weight rating of 1800 lbs per ram website. The truck itself has a maximum trailer tow rating of over 30k pounds.

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
Mike134 wrote:
You guys crack me up.

Who said he needed a bigger truck? I noticed a lot of questions about the receiver on the truck but not the "blah, blah, blah" that you talk about.:R
Barney

Post number 5 and post #2 stated that truck would be "manhandled" by the trailer
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mike134 wrote:
You guys crack me up.

Who said he needed a bigger truck? I noticed a lot of questions about the receiver on the truck but not the "blah, blah, blah" that you talk about.:R
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Mike134 wrote:
You guys crack me up.

So now Iโ€™m curious. What is the weight rating of new dually receiver. My old dually had two rating. One with and one without.

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
You guys crack me up.

2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Whatโ€™s the receiver rated for? Does it have two ratings? One with and one without a WDH.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
loydt wrote:
https://www.etrailer.com/p-C17501.html
goducks10 wrote:
Thats one Big A TT. Over 9,000 lbs loaded and 38' long will be a handful for any 3/4-1 ton SRW.
I tow a 31' TT @9600 lbs with a 3500 CTD CC LB SRW and previously with a 2500 Hemi CC LB. TW is 1350 lbs and will squat the rear on both a couple inches +/- 1/4". squats fine but just showing that when you drop 1500? lbs 4' behind the rear axle there's going to be some handling changes.

You won't think the trucks so massive when hitched up and on the road. Winds and semi's will move you around a fair amount.

I would look at a good WDH with built in sway.

I use a Blue Ox with 2,000 lb bars. I just don't crank em way tight.
Equalizer makes a 1600 lb bar WDH
https://www.equalizerhitch.com/store/hitches/1-600-16-000-lb

Its a DRW, for what it matters. It also has the automatic leveling suspension but that will come into play more when my Seismic comes in.

I will take a look at your suggestion.

Here is the Curt model I found:

With a DRW I'm not sure I'd be as concerned.

dfm
Explorer
Explorer
I use a Reese dual cam for my rig and could not be happier with the performance.
My trailer is 36 feet tip to stern with a Gvw of 12000 lbs. Hitch weight fully loaded is 1470 pounds. Trailer is rock steady with absolutely no sway even in an emergency collision avoidance maneuver. Someone pulled out in front of me from a side road when I approached at 65 mph. I had to swerve immediately to avoid running over their small vehicle. The trailer followed perfectly with no sway.
I did have to stop for a change of wardrobe.
2015 Open Range 340 FLR
2012 Ram3500 Laramie Longhorn/Cummins
1 DW 1 Furperson

loydt
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
Thats one Big A TT. Over 9,000 lbs loaded and 38' long will be a handful for any 3/4-1 ton SRW.
I tow a 31' TT @9600 lbs with a 3500 CTD CC LB SRW and previously with a 2500 Hemi CC LB. TW is 1350 lbs and will squat the rear on both a couple inches +/- 1/4". squats fine but just showing that when you drop 1500? lbs 4' behind the rear axle there's going to be some handling changes.

You won't think the trucks so massive when hitched up and on the road. Winds and semi's will move you around a fair amount.

Its a DRW, for what it matters. It also has the automatic leveling suspension but that will come into play more when my Seismic comes in.

I will take a look at your suggestion.

Here is the Curt model I found:

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer

loydt
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
That trailer, when loaded and ready for a camping trip, will probably have a tongue weight in excess of 1500lbs. In addition, that is a very long trailer that will be able to manhandle even your nice truck if the conditions are right. I would use a weight distributing hitch and some type of sway control for sure! ๐Ÿ™‚
Barney

Leaning towards agreeing with you. So far I have only found one hitch system, made by Curt, that has a tongue weight rating of 1500 lbs.