cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire Failure

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
I still had the original tires on my 2017 Coleman 300tq Toy hauler.

I was planning on replacing them next year with Good Year Endurance ST Tires.

BUT

On a recent trip to Wyoming I was 200 miles into the days route with 175 to go.

I stopped at a rest area for a short break. This was the first trip with the new TPMS system for the trailer.

As we were getting ready to pull out a tap at the window, a guy towning a toy hauler to Sturgis said I think you got a problem with your trailer tire?

Sure enough...

A 12 inch chunk of rubber was missing. Tire was still holding pressure and temp range was normal. I suspect it just happened as we were pulling into the rest area.

It was 4pm on a Friday and we were 20 miles from a Les Schwab dealer and 175 miles from a Good Year Dealer. Les Schwab won.

My original tires were D rated Constancy tires. Les Schwab's ST tire is a Tow Star E rated tire Yes they have a china stamp on them.

There was no time for procrastinating I needed the tires on.

I have had Les Schwab tires on my truck before and they do all my front end and brake work. They seem to be a stand up company

They got right on it and we were out of there in two hours.

We will just have to see if the ST Tow Stars hold up or not.

I always do a walk around before setting out and saw nothing with the tires but in the future and will be doing a closer inspection before heading out.
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.
43 REPLIES 43

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
fj12ryder wrote:
What? Four years old and a couple years past time for replacement?!

Yup...change those tires every two years, repack those bearings every year, and don't forget to change TV oil every thousand miles!

"Well in truth", things have changed over time! Motor oil is much improved, since most of you were kids. High quality grease will run those bearings for a long time. OK, you guessed it... higher quality trailer tires that will last for 8-10 years, unless tread wears out, are available too.

I know fj12ryder knows this. I just quoted his light sarcasm, to another post, to add a bit more of my own.

Jerry

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
What? Four years old and a couple years past time for replacement?!
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well in truth. they were a couple years past the time for replacement. You are very lucky they lasted this long.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
You were very fortunate that the tire didn't blow.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
I am an Anti-Chinese tire person. How much evidence does one need to understand the problem?

Arenโ€™t we all , unless itโ€™s a Sailun tire ๐Ÿ™‚

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
If there was any way to prove it I would bet that tire hit a curb or such in the last few thousand miles. Damage don't always show when it happens, but just like a note at the bank, it will come due.

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lynnmor wrote:
I am an Anti-Chinese tire person. How much evidence does one need to understand the problem?

Me too, but the OP needed to get back on the road and had no other choice.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
FWIW, there have been some issues with the Sailun tires made in Vietnam this year. I've read of at least two incidences of the tread separation. An unheard of problem with the Sailun. But in both instances the tires were made in Vietnam, and in early 2021.

I love my Sailun, and will most likely buy more, but informed choices are best.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

ChuckSteed
Explorer
Explorer
going up a size to 10 ply E rated was a good move.. Where the tires are made is a mute point... Sailun S637 series are made in Vietnam and China and are some of the best RV tires on the road...

I am running a set of Les Schwab Geo Star 14 ply on my fifth wheel...on my sixth year with them... Made in China...

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
We will just have to see if the ST Tow Stars hold up or not.

I always do a walk around before setting out and saw nothing with the tires but in the future and will be doing a closer inspection before heading out.

I do a pre trip tire inspection each day when were on the move but I also use my old tire thumper and a visual every time I stop the rig and get out of the truck for fuel or potty break.

The tread on that tire looks ballooned...and can be from tread delam. Typical older tech ST C/D/E poly tire that sat most of its life.

My 2 year old pre owned '97 32' 5th wheel trailer came with new ST225/75-15 D Marathons on 6 lug wheels.
Back then I didn't use ST tires on my service trailers so I sold the set (4) to a neighbor for his farm trailer.
Went with 16" 6 lug wheels and BFG Commercial T/A LT215/85-16 E at 2680 lbs capacity. The set ran for 7 years and 55k miles. The second set ran for another 7 years and 52k miles all with no issues.

Looking around rv websites I see the Endurance...Providers...Carlisle HD ST C/D/E tires seem to have much better service records than the older ST tires when they were all made in the USA and later made in china ST tires.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is great we still have tire choice manufacturer locations to choose from. No so with many other RV and vehicle product parts.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
Les Schwab is a very reputable company. If they stand behind their products then I think you make a good choice. Just make sure they are rated at or above you trailer's weight rating. Also make sure you check the PSI before each trip and keep them aired to the proper number. I am not and Anti-Chinese tire person on origin alone. There are just too many variables to consider.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

QCMan
Nomad III
Nomad III
The tire told you it was aging out. A look at the date code would have shown how old they were. Probably made in mid to early 2016 would be my guess. Going up a rating will give you a stronger tire. That tire would have heated up as soon as you got back to highway speed.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member