cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire Opinion

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes, I know..... Another tire discussion.

I just wanted people's opinions on when I should change my current TT tires. They are what most people refer to as "China Bombs". They are MaxTow brand. I purchased my new 2012 TT in July of 2011 so the TT is coming up on it's 3 year birthday (Was manufactured in May of 2011). I looked at the tire codes and determined the tires were manufactured in October of 2010 which makes the tires about 3 1/2 years old. I keep a mileage log on my TT and I have currently put only 4600 miles on the trailer. We are mostly "weekend warriors" since my wife and I both work full time but we have taken two week long trips of about 800 miles and 900 miles round trip. We are taking a trip from Tampabay Florida area to Charleston, SC the end of May. I am torn on whether I need to get new tires beforehand. My TT is stored on a covered site out of the weather, only has 4600 miles on the tires and the tires have been inspected and show no signs of wear or any problems. I hate to get new tires with only 4600 miles on them but I hear all the horror stories of blowouts. I always make sure I have 50PSI in the tires when traveling. I was planing to put new tires on the TT next summer (2015) which would put the tires at 4 1/2 years old with only about 6500 miles (or less).

So, should I get new tires now or wait until 2015. That is the question...
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)
18 REPLIES 18

elkabong
Explorer
Explorer
I brought my new 5er home from the factory last year, 1300 miles. Parked it in the driveway, jacked it up and replaced all of the factory OEMs.
I am retired, but transport a dozen or so RVs from Indiana to Denver every year for a local dealer. 3 years ago I was transporting a high-end 5er and had a brand new tire delaminate less than 200 miles from the factory. It cost me my $1000 deductible and actually did almost $2500 worth of damage ripping up the side of the trailer.
I always tow with the proper air pressure(max) and never over 65mph. Even so...., Every trip with factory OEMs is the RV version of Russian roulette.
I paid a lot of money for my 5er and figured the price of upgrading the tires into the purchase price. For me, preventive maintenance has always been easier and cheaper than repairs. That made the decision very easy for me.
It's your trailer, it's your insurance and it's your peace of mind.
Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Ken
"TooLoose WeTrek"

Ken & Cindy
04.5 Dodge 2500 CTD, 2wd, 6spd manual
2014 Flagstaff 8528ckws

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
...Some good points made here, but one thing you have to keep in mind ANY time you ask for advice from anyone (especially on a public forum like this) on whether it is time to replace something expensive or not:

..Those whose bank accounts would not be affected by the replacement advice they give, will almost ALWAYS say 'yes, go ahead and replace now'. Regardless how old or worn the item in question is or is not.

However, watch those same individuals, on when THEY do a similar replacement. Amazingly, when its coming out of THEIR bank account, that replacement isn't needed quite as often. Its truly amazing how that works, haha. ๐Ÿ™‚

I've seen this time and time again, on numerous subjects. Its just human nature, and something you have to keep in mind when you ask for this kind of advice. Its easy to advise someone else to shell out $$ to replace now, but when/if it is coming out of YOUR wallet, the perspective changes drastically.

That said, the general rule of thumb for "China bomb' trailer ST tires is around 4-5 years when its a good idea to replace them. I think you can go much longer, though, with a quality set of Maxxis (ST) tires if you take good care of them.

Having stored your TT indoors a lot is definitely a plus, as that means they shoundn't have been exposed to the sun as much.

I think if you're taking care of them and watching them as close as you say you are, you should be able to get one more year of service out of them. After that, I would replace them with a set of Maxxis ST tires which should easily last you 5 years or longer.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
bob213 wrote:
MetalGator...I have the exact same trailer as you and have the same question. I have Kumho 857's on two other trailers but don't know if these rims can handle the extra PSI of a "D" rated tire. I had Maxxis on the last trailer with good results but can't decide if I should switch or what to switch to. I run a TPMS so that gives me some piece of mind but I'm still unsure. Post what you finally decide to do and what you go with. Good luck, Bob

I am leaning towards keeping the tires another year since the TT is stored indoors and the tires show no signs of ware. I updated my mileage spreadsheet I keep on the trailer (took out the TT this weekend) and I only have 4700 miles on the trailer. In October of this year, the tires will be 4 years old (per manufacture date) and the TT just over 3 years old. I plan on purchasing Maxxis when I do replace.

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
You have an expensive trailer, and expensive truck, and a family on those tires.

If you have any doubt (and with Chinese tires, you should) think about the hassle of any one of them blowing, then think about the peace of mind a new set of tires will bring. Then, make up your mind.

My son had bad luck with Chinese brands only one time -- never will I put a set on anything I own. They just come apart with no warning - that's all it takes for me to reject it - the savings isn't enough either, to endanger myself or my family.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
MetalGator...I have the exact same trailer as you and have the same question. I have Kumho 857's on two other trailers but don't know if these rims can handle the extra PSI of a "D" rated tire. I had Maxxis on the last trailer with good results but can't decide if I should switch or what to switch to. I run a TPMS so that gives me some piece of mind but I'm still unsure. Post what you finally decide to do and what you go with. Good luck, Bob
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

hammer21661
Explorer
Explorer
Mine has the tow max tires and I have had 2 bllow outs and one that deformed really bad and we changed it before it blew. I am getting tires shortly. My rig isn't 2 yet.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW crew cab long bed 4x4 diesel Lariamie 1-2018
2013 fuzion 322.8/25/2012
2000 Yellow Lab mix Dog, Earl,The One who gave me Unconditional Love picked up 9-12 or 13, 2001 till 2-7-2014 may he r.i.p.

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
My TowMax are 5.5 years old and have about 17K on them. I will probably replace them this spring but they look good and have been solid tires for me.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Let us know if you figure it out......
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
dbbls wrote:
If you watch your speed and keep it below 65, and check the pressure every time you tow, you might get a couple more years out of them.

If I am not in a hurry, I drive 60 on the interstate. If I am in a hurry, I drive around 62-63. The only time I hit 65 is to pass someone.

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
Most Tow Max failures are with the heavier 5th wheels, but that's not to say that they will not fail with a lighter trailer. If you watch your speed and keep it below 65, and check the pressure every time you tow, you might get a couple more years out of them.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
The issue for me is not the blowout and the cost of the new tire or the hassle of changing the tire on the side of the road.
The real headache/expense is the damage you you do to the side of your trailer and the wheel well area.
If it were as simple as just dealing with the tire I'd say gamble with the old tires. However toss in some potential body damage and I think it is wise to get new tires
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

Fresno_Tundra_D
Explorer
Explorer
My marathons say 50 psi is max. I keep at 42 psi. I think a blowout would be cause less damage with less psi. I've never heard of your MaxTow brand but I think you'll be fine for one more year. Some on here think you should get new tire every couple of years which is waste of money in my opinion. I know some here have replaced 6 year old tires that never gave them a bit of trouble only to go out on the new tires and have a blowout on their first trip! If you have a spare and continue to watch for cracks you should be alright.
E.Lee Galik

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Are they 205 75 14 C?
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
My new fifth wheel came with new china bombs. During our first long trip the right front blew during a slow turn. I put on new Michelins and had no more problems, even when a leaf spring busted on the Alaska Highway. I have Michelins on our coach and don't think I would even consider another tire.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"