cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire Pressure - MAX vs DATAPLATE

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
A LOT of replies to tire threads recommend running the trailer (and I assume also car/truck/motorhome) at sidewall max psi instead of the dataplate psi. Why?

My trailer tires have a max psi of 120. The trailer dataplate tells me the correct psi is 80. So I follow the manufacturer recommendation 80psi. I figure they know better than anone else what's 'right' for my trailer.

What benefit(s) would I get running sidewall max 120psi?

Same with my car & truck. Dataplate psi is about half the sidewall max. There may be a noticeable savings in fuel mpg running tires at sidewall max but the ride would probably be so hard as to be quite uncomfortable and I would assume tread wear would be much quicker. And I'd also assume there would be problems with the tire maker if I tried to make a warranty claim while running sidewall max instead of vehicle dataplate psi.
23 REPLIES 23

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Why? 50 years of driving many types of vehicles towing many different trailers on literally 100's of tires.

Do what you like and I'll do what has proven to work.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
The OEM tire inflation plate is only valid for the OEM tires. Once you have changed them then other variables come into play
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Are those 120 MAX psi tires the OEM tires that data plate recommends 80 psi for ??????

Have you weighed truck/trailer?
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
dcmac214 wrote:
A LOT of replies to tire threads recommend running the trailer (and I assume also car/truck/motorhome) at sidewall max psi instead of the dataplate psi. Why?

Bad assumption- I do not believe *anybody* has recommended ignoring the data plate on a motorized vehicle- only trailers.

All of the issues with over inflation are not present in a trailer- rather we want the tire to run cooler, and we want the sidewall to be stiff, to reduce sway. Few people will actually wear out a trailer tire.

120 psi trailer tires are certainly not the norm- I have never seen one on anything other than a semi trailer, or smaller than a 22.5. What are they, H load rated?
-- Chris Bryant

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think that comparing cars/trucks with trailer is comparing apples and oranges to a certain degree.

I think the trailer tires should be closer to sidewall max pressures because of the stresses that the trailer puts on its tires. Seems to me a fully inflated tire will withstand cornering and scrubbing issues better than a tire that is softer and only partly inflated. But that's strictly IMO.

FWIW however, Goodyear did have a notice on their website that recommended inflating RV tires to max sidewall pressures.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer

Our RV trailer axles are close spaced and in the center of the vehicle vs say a truck with the axles at the corners with the front set steering into the corner and the rear set following. Now watch the trailer tires as they slide sideways (side scrub) around the corner. This action is trying to tear the tire apart....so tire experts and experienced trailer owners have found max sidewall pressure gives their tire the best shot at staying together.

My trailer tires have a max psi of 120. The trailer dataplate tells me the correct psi is 80. So I follow the manufacturer recommendation 80psi. I figure they know better than anone else what's 'right' for my trailer.

If you believe that then no use asking us anything :). Anyhow.....
Somethings not right. I've never heard of a trailer mfg recommending derating a tire on their trailer by 25 percent. Doesn't make sense or
It sounds like some one has upgraded a ST235/80-16 E tire at 80 psi to a much higher rated tire. If thats the case the trailers tire data plate will not reflect the right pressure.

This from a good source when some one has over tired the trailer;
rvsafety.com

Tire Load and Inflation Ratings

Note: Towable โ€“ Travel Trailer/ 5th Wheel owners Due to the severe use conditions experienced by tires when axles are very close together โ€“ tire industry experts recommend maximum (sidewall) inflation pressure for towable tires unless this causes a sever over-inflation situation (20psi+), often referred to as the โ€˜basketball effectโ€™. If this is your situation allow a 10 โ€“ 15psi safety margin above the minimum required inflation pressure.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
120 psi?? What is the tire designation on the trailer tires and brand? Big difference in what to do between tire types and what they're on. Are the tires presently on the trailer the same as what's on the placard? They can be different and if run too low, serious damage from heat can occur.

Go to RV tire safety dot com and read about ST tire inflation from a tire engineer.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Here's an example:

The company I work for has a fleet of vehicles we can use when going out in the field. One is a chevy 2500 long bed extended cab. Originally from the factory it came with load range c tires with a max PSI of 35. That's what the data plate shows on the door. When the tires were torn up on a rocky road, they were replaced with Load Range D tires. The sidewall shows max is 80 PSI

Similar with a Jeep Cherokee. The tires were replaced with a higher load range tire.

That being said many tire manufacturers on their websites provide charts which indicate the acceptable PSI based on the actual load.

I always keep my tires inflated to the Max PSI indicated on the sidewall. I don't have the time to adjust the pressure depending on load I'm carrying.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Benefit is (slightly) improved fuel mileage. But the cost is uneven tire wear leading to early replacement (not an issue on RVs which generally need new tires due to age long before the tread wears out); rough/bouncy ride (again, not so much an issue on a vehicle in which nobody is present and "stuff" is all tied down); slightly poorer traction/cornering ability; and slightly higher blowout risk.

Bear in mind that there is controversy over the issue BECAUSE the differences either way are relatively small.