cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tires...To Shine or not to Shine??????

E_mc2
Explorer
Explorer
Okay so I am a all dressed up rig kinda guy. I like my chrome to sparkle and my paint to shine. Along with that I like the wet look on my tires it kinda goes with the territory. I have read on here that you shouldn't use armor all and the other dressing stuff because it is bad for tires. Is there anything (besides soap and water) that I can put on my tires to make em shine?

Thanks
Chad
2007 GMC Sierra 2500
2009 Weekend Warrior Superlite
B&W Companion
2006 Arctic Cat 650 H1 (x2 His and Hers)
An Awesome Family!
47 REPLIES 47

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you keep the dressing off the tread area you're okay. Nobody rides on the sidewall of the tire, even Moto GP. But on Moto GP the tread, actually the riding surface since there is no tread, goes all the way around the tire. ๐Ÿ™‚

I don't use dressing at all since the first time. I'm not too much of a slow learner. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
ford truck guy wrote:
You don't put it on the circumference ...... Do you really think someone would do that :h
Well...... At least I hope we're all smart enough to know that :B
Thank you. The last time I looked, the sidewalls weren't used for a riding surface. ๐Ÿ™‚

I actually did know someone who did that. They learned very quickly what a bad idea it was.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Francesca Knowles wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Many years ago I used ArmorAll on my motorcycle tires because they looked really good. After a very short amount of time the sidewalls started to crack, which had never happened before I used ArmorAll. I quit using it and the new tires had no issues. I put two and tow together and came to the conclusion that ArmorAll was not good for my motorcycle tires. I've never used anything on them since then, and the problem has never recurred.

On a motorcycle tire? really? and you`re still here to tell us you did this?!!!:S
Not really sure I comprehend your amazement. Maybe you're unaware of how a motorcycle tire works? It's very similar to a car tire, i.e. round and black. ๐Ÿ™‚

Isn't Armorall silicone?
If so, I'm thinkin' he's marveling at the fact that anyone would put it on a motorcycle tire...ain't that a mite slippery? :@

A bike will come over on the side of it`s tire, there is too much of a chance to lay the bike down by using armorall anywhere on a bike tire!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Lowsuv
Explorer
Explorer
Add me to the group that uses frequent applications of tire dressings .
The Michelin tires on my duramax , Mercedes , and Porsche have zero signs of cracking .
I apply the dressing to my boat trailer tires and my travel trailer tires .
Ooh Shiny !
Actually I go back over the tires with a blue cloth /paper shop towel to diminish the shine .
It is the BLACK appearance that I prefer .
I've been using armorall and others since the 1970's .
I have never had a single problem from that .
In recent years I have picked up 3 other brands when on sale .
Some work better on plastic such as the plastic bumper tops on my duramax .
It appears the folks that say that tire dressing is damaging to their tires do not have hand's on experience with the products .
How would they know that tires develop cracking due to dressing applications ?
I have mostly Michelins and Continentals with no adverse effects due to tire dressing .

Arizona_Kid
Explorer
Explorer
From Auto Geek:

The science behind the modern rubber formulas used by major tire manufactures today is both complex and interesting. The rubber itself contains and ingredient called Antiozonant.

Antiozonant is an ingredient that helps to prevent the exterior rubber surface from cracking, checking, oxidizing, and deteriorating. The rubber is designed in such a way as to constantly work its way to the outside of the tire and as such, continually replenish the exterior surface with fresh antiozonant.

After the antiozonant works its way to the outside of the tire and is exposed to the ozone in the air, it turns brown. The technical term for this effect is blooming.

This is why you see a brown film on the surface your tires. You can wash your tires with soap or an all-purpose cleaner and remove this film, but in a few weeks, it's back. That's because the antiozonant continually works its way to the outside of the tires every time you drive your car.

Thus before applying a dressing you really need to do a thorough job of cleaning the outer surface of the tire to remove any spent antiozonants as well as any previously applied dressing and this will prepare the rubber to accept a fresh application of tire dressing.

Meguiar's Tire Dressings:
To maintain your tires and keep them looking sharp with a deep, dark black color, Meguiar's offers six unique tire dressings that treat the rubber with Meguiar's own special conditioning agents as well as patented antiozonants that replenish your tires' original antiozonants and keep your tires looking blacker longer than generic tire dressings and protectants.
Special polymers actually penetrate and cure to the surface to form a long lasting barrier-film that protects your tires from inclement weather and exposure to corrosive elements.

I have been using Meguiar's Tire Foam for years, my tires have worn out before I have seen any cracking.

E_mc2
Explorer
Explorer
WOW! Thanks for all the awesome replies. I think I will check in to the 303, it is the obvious winner here. I will replace the tires when necessary, but why not roll in style in the mean time.
2007 GMC Sierra 2500
2009 Weekend Warrior Superlite
B&W Companion
2006 Arctic Cat 650 H1 (x2 His and Hers)
An Awesome Family!

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
My grandson likes tire shine and he makes sure ALL my vehicles have a slick look. We have no favorite brand as there are several that will do the job.

jk31668
Explorer
Explorer
Several tire dealers have told me use only soap n water. All those shiny products will lead to premature dry rot and weather cracking

You don't put it on the circumference ...... Do you really think someone would do that :h
Well...... At least I hope we're all smart enough to know that :B
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Many years ago I used ArmorAll on my motorcycle tires because they looked really good. After a very short amount of time the sidewalls started to crack, which had never happened before I used ArmorAll. I quit using it and the new tires had no issues. I put two and tow together and came to the conclusion that ArmorAll was not good for my motorcycle tires. I've never used anything on them since then, and the problem has never recurred.

On a motorcycle tire? really? and you`re still here to tell us you did this?!!!:S
Not really sure I comprehend your amazement. Maybe you're unaware of how a motorcycle tire works? It's very similar to a car tire, i.e. round and black. ๐Ÿ™‚

Isn't Armorall silicone?
If so, I'm thinkin' he's marveling at the fact that anyone would put it on a motorcycle tire...ain't that a mite slippery? :@
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Twomed
Explorer
Explorer
303 or nothing... 303 looks better though. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚
Happy Trails ๐Ÿ™‚
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
dodge guy wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Mvander
Explorer
Explorer
I believe a tire that is going to crack will do so regardless. I say use your favorite product and replace tires every 5 yrs like most say.
55 FEET OF FAMILY FUN!
2014 F150 HD
2015 Grey Wolf 29DSFB

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ron3rd wrote:
I use Aerospace 303 on my trailer's decals. Does it provide any shine for tires?

Yep shines them right up
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C