cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Torque Multiplier Lug Wrench

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone ever use (or see) one of these? I just stumbled across it on the internet. I've never seen or used one.

EZ Lug Wrench Torque Multiplier:

http://ezlugwrench.com/

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
When I first bought the MH I had a hard time removing the lug nuts. After twisting several extensions(Chinese) I found some old Stanley extensions that were hardened and with a breaker bar and a steel pipe extension I was able to remove the lug nuts. So know I carry a 1/2 in breaker bar 2 ft long with a 2 ft pipe the I keep on the bar and a 4 in extension to clear the rim. It will be a lot cheaper than spending $150 for a torque multiplier. Once you remove the lug nuts and apply the proper torque you won't have to go through this again.

Georgew48
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
For the price of the Torque Multiplier you could almost purchase a cordless impact for taking the lugs loose and a torque wrench to put them back on.

Good luck with that. I got mine for 49.95 on eBay. A good torque wrench that will give you 450 pounds of torque will run you about 400.00 bucks.
2015 Georgetown XL 377 TS 38 foot motorhome.
1929 Model A Ford Sport Coupe
2009 Honda TRX 420FA Red (Hers)
2009 Honda TRX 420FA White (Mine)
1999 Chaparral 2130 SS limited edition ski boat

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
For the price of the Torque Multiplier you could almost purchase a cordless impact for taking the lugs loose and a torque wrench to put them back on.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
jungshin wrote:
buy a good torque wrench and then go to the plumbing section and get a 3 foot section of iron pipe that fits over the handle of the wrench. increasing the length of the lever decreases the amount of force needed to turn the nut.

give me a long enough lever and i will move the world. some old timey greek dude.

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Archimedes

dontexas
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov.... My TT lug nuts require 85 ft/lbs for torque. Don't need a breaker bar or any high torque stuff.
Don & Donna Myers
2012 Nomad Joey 260
2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
We used to use them where I worked when we had to torque down bolts to 850 lb.ft..
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I should have clarified, this isn't for me, I'm not planning on buying it. I have a variety of air wrenches, sockets, T-type lug wrenches, and breaker bars to get myself in trouble.

I just thought it was an interesting idea and tool that I hadn't seen before. I didn't see where you use the torque multiplier to put ON the nuts, I figured it was just for taking OFF the lug nuts. That is how it is presented in the video.

camperkilgore
Explorer
Explorer
This one might interest you. Don't know if it will meet very high torque requirements, but it's good on most TT's and Fivers, I think.
Torque multiplier for use with Ratchet
Tom & Carol

Georgew48
Explorer
Explorer
I was not sure about this tool until I tried it and saw a YouTube video on how to use it to tighten lug nuts back to the previous torque. I tried it using the permanent marker method and then re checked the torque with a torque wrench and everytime the torque was right on 450 ft pounds. The key is to make sure you don't mess up which nut goes on which stud. It takes very little effort to loosen and tighten these large lug nuts with this tool.

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
Or, for only a little more money and a whole lot less hassle, you can get an 18V impact wrench. Once you get to the campground, you can then use the impact gun to lower your jack stands and make you look really cool.

BTW, did anyone see that write up in this month's Trailer Life about converting a battery operated drill to run off electric? I couldn't believe the editors actually put that in print. No, I can't see any way that scenario could end up badly......
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nem'mind.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Georgew48
Explorer
Explorer
I have one of these and it works great. Take a permanent marker and marke the nut and a spot on the wheel that lines up with the mark (make sure you put the same nut back on the stud it came off of) then when you put the nut back on just turn it till the marks line up and you are good to go.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
The OP apparently has a TT that would require about 90 ft/lb of torque. He needs to find the exact figure.

This wrench will work well: wrench

A breaker bar like this would work great: Breaker bar

The HF torque wrench is good enough for lug nuts: test

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lynnmor wrote:
There are much cheaper ways to strip the lug nuts and twist off the studs. Go to Harbor Freight and get the extra long breaker bar, if you think you need it, and a torque wrench. Now you can loosen nuts, that were professionally over-tightened, and tighten them to the correct torque.

Yep! 4,500 lb. ft. Of torque should snap off any lug on any pickup!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
That's all well and good for standard vehicles. However, on heavier vehicles like a DP, the lug nuts are tightened to 450 ft. lbs. so you would need something like torque multiplier or long extension on the breaker bar to break them loose. The trick then being to get them all torqued up again to 450 Ft. lbs. when reinstalling the wheel is where a torque multiplier might proove to be useful.

Having said that...The truck tire place where I get my tires for the DP actually uses a long handled click style torque wrench. The handle is at least 4 ft. long and very easily gets the lugs up to the 450 ft. lbs. They even let me try it and I was surprised at how easy it was. They said that they trusted the accuracy of the click type torque wrench over the torque multiplier. The only problem is that wrench was very expensive (several hundred dollars I believe they said).
Mark & Cherie
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP 3872, Cummins 350 ISC, Spartan Chassis