cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Torsion axle v spring axle

bluefishgary
Explorer
Explorer
Ok lets try this. How much does a spring axle go up and down??
How much does a torsion axle go up and down??
Does a spring have more travle or the torsion have more?

Better ride spring or torsion?
Just so you all know my trailer is a 3 axle torsion axle rides very good
My weight is 12,000lbs. I am think about shocks.Even if there is no kit
I can build what I need. My last trailer a 2 axle @ 10,000 I put shocks
made a BIG differance. ok Lets the games begin. Thanks Gary
2019 Ford DRW C/C
2017 Vintage with living quarters 44'3 Axle
I caught a fish once -it was fun
24 REPLIES 24

STEVEO496
Explorer
Explorer
gmw photos wrote:
I've owned and pulled various trailers since 1968. Currently I own and regularly pull four trailers. Two have torflex ( "rubber glide" in my way of saying ), and two have leaf springs. All four are tandem axle.

They all tow correctly behind two different trucks, and all ride acceptably. I can't think of one single time that I have been driving down the road and thought to myself, "gee this trailer sure pulls well because of the type of suspension".

To me the real advantage of the trailers I have with the torflex axles is the floor loading height is lower. Which is quite possibly why the trailer designer chose torflex for these trailers.

^
What he said. The main advantage of the torsion axles is being able to have a lower floor height. Not something we generally need in an RV, but they have their place. I've owned trailers with both. My TT has leaf springs with shocks and rides just as smooth as the torsion axles did. As far as suspension travel there are just too many variables to say one design has more travel than the other.
2012 Keystone Cougar 30RLS
2005 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 8.1
Reese Titan receiver and Equalizer WDH

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Torsion axles are self-damping, so no shocks are needed. And rubber transmits less shock anyways vs metal springs.

What you lose out on vs leaf springs is equalizers. Leaf springs can "walk" over bumps, so they work better for rough terrain and when the trailer isn't towed perfectly level.

I like my leaf springs (with factory shocks) on my TT because of where I take it. Car haulers are usually better with torsion springs because they stay on pavement. If I built a single-axle raft trailer, it will have a rubber torsion spring. Aside from the lack of equalizing, they simply ride better.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
I have one trailer with torsion axles, one with leaf springs. to me about the only advantage to the torsion axle is lack of a need for wet bolts.

other than that they are pretty much the same. you can get torsion axles with various angles to fit the ground clearance you want. both have about the same travel.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
For 3500lbs on average and less, torsion vs leaf, its about the same.

Long term, if something wears, its a heck of a lot easier to replace a leaf spring than the whole dang torsion spring axle.

I have an ATV and Snowmobile trailer using torsion and a 6x14 and TT using leaf. And before these, a couple a both versions as well on different trailers.

***********In short....WHO CARES.***************

Buy the trailer that you can afford, that you like, and that works for you.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
I've owned and pulled various trailers since 1968. Currently I own and regularly pull four trailers. Two have torflex ( "rubber glide" in my way of saying ), and two have leaf springs. All four are tandem axle.

They all tow correctly behind two different trucks, and all ride acceptably. I can't think of one single time that I have been driving down the road and thought to myself, "gee this trailer sure pulls well because of the type of suspension".

To me the real advantage of the trailers I have with the torflex axles is the floor loading height is lower. Which is quite possibly why the trailer designer chose torflex for these trailers.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
I have two Torflex axles on my 5er. The fender well is 3" above the tires and they do not rub. The hubs are even with the bottom of the frame and the swing ams are set pretty close to the frame. I don't see that there is any room available to add shocks.

I wouldn't recommend them on a short fifth wheel like mine as there is no equalization and they contribute heavily to chucking.

I also have a Torflex on a single axle utility trailer. Commendable performance.

If I recall, Dexter does not recommend Torflex for triple axle applications.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
bluefishgary wrote:
Ok lets try this. How much does a spring axle go up and down??
How much does a torsion axle go up and down??
Does a spring have more travle or the torsion have more?

Better ride spring or torsion?
Just so you all know my trailer is a 3 axle torsion axle rides very good
My weight is 12,000lbs. I am think about shocks.Even if there is no kit
I can build what I need. My last trailer a 2 axle @ 10,000 I put shocks
made a BIG differance. ok Lets the games begin. Thanks Gary

In my experience with two different double torsion axle trailers, I would say the torsion is smoother riding than leaf springs, on similar size/weight trailer. To me, the rubber torsion system takes away the need for shocks, at least in my experience.

Are you saying that your last 2 axle trailer had torsion suspension, and you added shocks to it, with a big difference in ride noticed? I am sure shocks would make a difference on a trailer with leaf springs.

If your current triple axle torsion suspension rides "very good", why would you want to fit shocks on it? I guess I'm just not following your line of thought.

Jerry

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
CloudDriver wrote:
Here's my $0.02.

A torsion bar and a coil spring are two versions of the same thing, assuming the same material of construction,heat treatment, etc.

Visualize it this way, a torsion bar twists when acting as a spring. A coil spring is just a torsion bar that is wound into a spiral. When a coil spring is compressed the metal that makes up the spiral gets twisted. If a torsion bar has the same spring rate as a coil spring, the axle will go up and down the same amount.

He is talking about leaf spring not coil springs.
2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I thought the rubber 'spring' in the torsion axle acted like a shock absorber...

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Here's my $0.02.

A torsion bar and a coil spring are two versions of the same thing, assuming the same material of construction,heat treatment, etc.

Visualize it this way, a torsion bar twists when acting as a spring. A coil spring is just a torsion bar that is wound into a spiral. When a coil spring is compressed the metal that makes up the spiral gets twisted. If a torsion bar has the same spring rate as a coil spring, the axle will go up and down the same amount.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450🙂