cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tow/Camper connected

R_E_Baird
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone's opinion...when towing a camper and stopping overnight at a hotel, do you leave the electrical connected to the camper or disconnect? And why?
Jackie & Roland
Jayco Pinnacle 36FBTS
2019 GMC Sierra K3500
24 REPLIES 24

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
As one who has always owned a GM truck I much prefer a charge line that's hot all the time and is not controlled by a relay. JMO, but if I can't remember to unplug the trailer from the truck when parked then maybe it's time to hang up the skates and start gardening instead. :W
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
I always unplug. Only takes a moment. Every time I go back to the truck to resume towing - rest stop, overnight, etc - I do a walk around checking things, including the plug.

We did an "overnight" at a hotel on our way to Disney World years ago. I thought the kids would want to use the pool, we could use the hotel shower, and we could have breakfast at the restaurant. Nope - kids didn't care about the pool, our camper has a shower, and we left too early to have breakfast at the hotel.

Later trips we just found campgrounds with drive thru campsites. Cost less than a hotel room too!

Explorer II
Explorer II
DSteiner51 wrote:
2112 wrote:
Even with the relay I disconnect for the piece of mind. You never know when something will fail

Just curious... Your tow vehicle has numerous relays other then the one for power to the trailer. How come you donโ€™t trust the one while still trusting the others or do you disconnect the battery in case one of those relays fails also?
I'm not going to be obsessive about it but I would sure hate to wake up to a dead battery. Unplugging it is quick and simple.

Other than not risking it I don't like the fact that my camper running lights come on when I open the truck door.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

DSteiner51
Explorer
Explorer
2112 wrote:
Even with the relay I disconnect for the piece of mind. You never know when something will fail

Just curious... Your tow vehicle has numerous relays other then the one for power to the trailer. How come you donโ€™t trust the one while still trusting the others or do you disconnect the battery in case one of those relays fails also?
D. Steiner
The sooner I fall behind, the more time I have to catch up.

RockyMt
Explorer II
Explorer II
always have left the pigtail connected- also always had Fords.

Explorer II
Explorer II
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

R_E_Baird
Explorer
Explorer
Not my 1st choice, but it was out of necessity.
Jackie & Roland
Jayco Pinnacle 36FBTS
2019 GMC Sierra K3500

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I stay connected when on overnight stops but am puzzled why you want to sleep in the cauldron of unknown juices in a hotel bed rather than the comfort of your own bed.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Hammerhead
Explorer
Explorer
I think our Durango and Grand Cherokees only has the +12V pin active when the ignition was on or set to accessory.

tdiller
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:
Terryallen, is that true for the new Fords as well? Sorry for the stupid question, I just bought my F150 and haven't towed with it yet. That would be a bonus!

Just take a cheap multi meter and check each pin of the plug with the ignition off and with it on. If you see any voltage with the ignition off then disconnect the trailer when you stop for the night.

My 2015 ram has a live wire at all times so if something is running on battery in my popup it will drain in.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
You also need to see if it's even charging right now. You may have to connect the wire at the under hood fuse box and/or install the stud #1 fuse.

If you don't have or install an isolator, pull the fuse at night instead so there's no forgotten lights or brakes. The worst you'll have is no charging.

R_E_Baird
Explorer
Explorer
Guess I need to check the specs if my 2017 GMC Sierra to see if it is isolated from the camper when turned off.
Jackie & Roland
Jayco Pinnacle 36FBTS
2019 GMC Sierra K3500

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
jfkmk wrote:
Terryallen, is that true for the new Fords as well? Sorry for the stupid question, I just bought my F150 and haven't towed with it yet. That would be a bonus!

Far as I know it is. They have been doing it that way as long as I have been towing. Wouldn't think they would change now.
My current TV is a 2013. Prev a 2004, Prev a 2002 expe, and 1996, F150, Prev 1985 Ranger, All the way back to a 1972 f100 Ranger, and 1972 Cougar. All only energized the trailer with the switch on.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer