cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tow Mirrors

Devoreg
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased a new 2014 Silverado Crew Cab 4x4 and Jayco Jayflight 29BHS trailer, needless to say I have a whole list of items i need before taking our new toy up north next spring. Just from the short distance towing this from the dealership to storage yard I know mirror extensions will need to be one of my first purchases. I do not want anything that can not be removed for everyday driving but I am concerned with the quality of many of the option i have seen. I am looking for some suggestions.

Thanks
22 REPLIES 22

DRSMPS
Explorer
Explorer
I installed OEM style 3/4 ton tow mirrors on my Sierra. They aren't removable, but telescope in and out. They replace the factory (small) mirrors that came on my truck. The branding is identical to the mirrors on the new 3/4 tons on the dealers lot. They also have heat, turn signals and are adjustable from my door controls. This is the only way I would go after owning these and aftermarket "clip-on" mirrors.
I purchased them on a website called Fenderworld.com They came out of Michigan and ran somewhere around $300. Installation was really easy as well. I popped off the trim piece in the door panel behind my mirror, loosened 2 nuts to remove my factory mirror and bolted these in place of them. The wiring harness plugs into the factory connector as well. Installed they are the same as the OEM tow mirrors. When not towing, I just retract the telescoping arms in. They have the large flat mirror on top with the convex mirror at the bottom. I think they look great and they work well.

Tennessee_Nomad
Explorer
Explorer
Get a good pair. On my previous TV, I bought a cheap set from the Wal-Mart and they vibrated so bad they were totally useless.

Oh, and did I say... Get a good pair.
2010 Keystone Montana 3455SA Quad Slide
4 Goodyear G614's
2017 RAM 3500 DRW 4x4 Crew Cab
6.7L Cumminsยฎ Turbo Diesel
B & W Companion Hitch
All Made In USA

*I chose the road less traveled... Now I don't know where the hell I am*

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
We had the CIPA from etrailer.com for our last rig, loved them, wife made cloth bags to store them in. Gave them to my brother when we upgraded vehicles, he still uses them when towing.

Many folks do not want towing mirrors on their truck all the time, only when towing. These work well for that.

bpadamson
Explorer
Explorer
I have towing mirrors; but with the toyhauler I just purchased it is wider than my mirrors can see. My mirrors extend, but it would be nice if they extended just a bit more...
2013 Ford F250 4X4 6.2gasser--- 4.30 gears, SCT Flash chip, improved tires, airbags; intake and exhaust opened up a bit.
9.5-year-old Forest River 295 WP Toy Hauler
B&W slider hitch

atwowheelguy
Explorer
Explorer
I went with the K Source mirror extensions. No complaints.

Read some reviews here:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ksc-81810/overview/

2013 F150 XLT SCrew 5.5' 3.5 EB, 3.55, 2WD, 1607# Payload, EAZ Lift WDH
Toy Hauler: 2010 Fun Finder XT-245, 5025# new, 6640-7180# loaded, 900# TW, Voyager wireless rear view camera
Toys: '66 Super Hawk, XR400R, SV650, XR650R, DL650 V-Strom, 525EXC, 500EXC

lpxguy
Explorer
Explorer
you didn't indicated if you have a 1500 or 2500

here is one for a 1500 I believe they are the same for 2500

The price differs if you have factory turn signals & heated. I put a set of this type on my truck & love them! FAR cheaper than factory & work the same. Love having the convex lower mirror for backing up.
2005 GMC Sierra 3500 CC DRW D/A(FOR SALE)
2013 Crusader 335BHS TE(FOR SALE)

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
I will pile on as a McKesh hater. I used them on a wet grimy March day for 120 miles. The straps and road grit made a fine abrasive compound. My passenger door I got by with buffing,my drivers door needed paint.
I will sell them cheap if you want!

7and7
Explorer
Explorer
Options; http://www.carid.com/2014-chevy-silverado-side-mirrors/item-27067834.html?gclid

APT
Explorer
Explorer
What's wrong with the OEM towing mirrors? For about $200 and a couple hours of time, you'll love them.

That said, I use the Fit System snap one mirrors that work okay for their cost. They don't vibrate much, they stay one and even retain my power folding feature. Here is the model for your truck.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
s1214 wrote:
I too have the CIPA mirrors from Etrailer on my GMC.

I ahve the CIPA mirrors on my 2012 Silverado. They work fine. No vibration. Easy on and off. This is the third winter. Many thousands of miles.
2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

gandydancer
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on the OEM or after market equivalent. Do some shopping. I bought my OEM mirrors online from a Chevy dealer in Ohio and saved some money.
04.5 Dmax EC SB
04 Sunnybrook 2450

s1214
Explorer
Explorer
I too have the CIPA mirrors from Etrailer on my GMC.

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
I would have ordered the truck with tow mirrors. 2nd choice is to install oem or equivalent aftermarket.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
Well I'm the odd man out, I hated the McKeesh. They were a good mirror when on & adjusted. They are bulky, they lose adjustment when the are off, they take a fair amount of storage space when off, they have to be re-tightened when it starts to rain & the straps get wet, the strap is nasty to store wet and they could not be adjusted so that they wouldn't mar the paint in the door sill of my Sierra. Oh yeah, they're expensive too.

When I got the extendable mirrors on my new truck I was surprised first trip out that my wife said "I sure won't miss those other mirrors you had to have". I guess I wasn't the only one tired of dealing with the McKeesh.