cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tow Speed excess!

AmericalVette
Explorer
Explorer
I stopped at a nearby convenience store today, and in the parking lot an officer was issuing a traffic citation to an individual towing a brand new TT. I noted, based on temp tags, that the driver being cited was delivering a new dealer unit.

I recognized the officer who was fairly new when I retired. After the contact was completed, the officer saw me and walked over to talk. He told me that he had just issued a ticket for 87 in a 70. Though I don't think this is the norm, it just made me think about some of the abuse new units may go through from factory to dealer.... something a buyer will never know.
Times fun when you're having flies!
55 REPLIES 55

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Ductape wrote:
If safety is really your top priority, then you really should fly.

And your absence from the highway will leave more room for the rest to proceed at an efficient pace.

Someone gets it! ๐Ÿ™‚

Highways are a dangerous place to be. Whether towing or not towing. Whether on vacation or going to work. It makes no difference. Around 100 people/ per day die on the highways of the US.

What a lot of people don't understand is "limiting exposure." If you drive 75 on a road you are going to be on that road half the time if you drove the same road at 37.5 MPH.

Like Ductape is trying to say; you're in the wrong hobby if you want to be safe. I race at over 140 MPH every other weekend and my chances of dying or getting hurt are WAY, WAY, WAY higher driving TO a race instead of racing.

Stay safe out there! ๐Ÿ™‚
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
If safety is really your top priority, then you really should fly.

And your absence from the highway will leave more room for the rest to proceed at an efficient pace.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
DrewE wrote:
mobeewan wrote:

The law has been 20 over as wreckless including anthing over 80 as wreckless. Now that there has been an increase to 70 on rural parts of interstates there Was a bill introduced to increase max to 85 or 90 for wreckless but I don't know if has passed yet.

I always aim to drive wrecklessly, no matter what the speed. :W

About the California law, the bigger problem than having a 55 mph speed limit for trailers is the differing limits (and resulting sizable speed differentials) for various vehicles on the same road. It's generally safer for everybody to be going about the same speed, and legislating the opposite situation seems to me to be foolish.

X2 That is my concern if forced to drive slower then others.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Sport45 wrote:

For the most part the results would be pretty much the same as if they were driving 55. It really depends more on the training and ability of the driver. A front tire blowout is survivable at any speed if you know what to do when it happens. 55 mph isn't going to save anyone who reacts to everything in panic.

Great, with my skills and 400 HP, I can now run 100 MPH. Why didn't I think of that before? :S

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
mobeewan wrote:

The law has been 20 over as wreckless including anthing over 80 as wreckless. Now that there has been an increase to 70 on rural parts of interstates there Was a bill introduced to increase max to 85 or 90 for wreckless but I don't know if has passed yet.

I always aim to drive wrecklessly, no matter what the speed. :W

About the California law, the bigger problem than having a 55 mph speed limit for trailers is the differing limits (and resulting sizable speed differentials) for various vehicles on the same road. It's generally safer for everybody to be going about the same speed, and legislating the opposite situation seems to me to be foolish.

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
hotpepperkid wrote:
California and its 55 is ridiculous. Your doing 55 and everyone else is doing 80 crazy. I drove what ever speed I wanted and in 35 years had never been stopped. Been passed doing 65+ by CHP and one time one honked as he went by and gave me the 55 with his hand and went on down the road. Their towing speed limit is the reason I never vacationed in California

Boy o boy ... it's that kind of short thinking and driving (ignoring the principals of physics and mechanics) that is REALLY making it scarier and scarier to drive on our highways.

All I can think of when a 60+/65+/70+/75+ towed RV combination passes me is:

1. What if the tow vehicle should have a front tire blowout at that speed?
2. What if the tow vehicle should have to suddenly break for a deer or an elk or a moose at that speed?
3. What it the towed RV should suddenly be hit by a freak sidewind gust at that speed?
4. What if the hitch ball joint of a TT combination should suddenly separate (for whatever reason) and only the safety chains were left to constrain the TT's jerking back and forth of the tow vehicle's rear end?
5. What if the coach spring mount on a TT or 5'er should suddenly fail?
6. What if the tow vehicle's timing belt should breakl?
7. Etc.?
8. Etc.?

Only a vanishingly small chance of any of that happening you say .... yeah that's right .... but if any of that or similar stuff happens, the loss of life and property of the both the towed combination and vehicles around it would be a tragedy that could have maybe been reduced drastically by a slower running speed of the tow combination.

The same old same old applies .... speed kills. California's 55 MPH towing law is right on and I'm glad to be part of it.

For the most part the results would be pretty much the same as if they were driving 55. It really depends more on the training and ability of the driver. A front tire blowout is survivable at any speed if you know what to do when it happens. 55 mph isn't going to save anyone who reacts to everything in panic.
โ€™19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
hotpepperkid wrote:
You forgot one
9. What if you get hit by lighting

No .... you forget one ... notice I listed two more - 7. Etc. and 8. Etc.. ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
hotpepperkid wrote:
California and its 55 is ridiculous. Your doing 55 and everyone else is doing 80 crazy. I drove what ever speed I wanted and in 35 years had never been stopped. Been passed doing 65+ by CHP and one time one honked as he went by and gave me the 55 with his hand and went on down the road. Their towing speed limit is the reason I never vacationed in California

Boy o boy ... it's that kind of short thinking and driving (ignoring the principals of physics and mechanics) that is REALLY making it scarier and scarier to drive on our highways.

All I can think of when a 60+/65+/70+/75+ towed RV combination passes me is:

1. What if the tow vehicle should have a front tire blowout at that speed?
2. What if the tow vehicle should have to suddenly break for a deer or an elk or a moose at that speed?
3. What it the towed RV should suddenly be hit by a freak sidewind gust at that speed?
4. What if the hitch ball joint of a TT combination should suddenly separate (for whatever reason) and only the safety chains were left to constrain the TT's jerking back and forth of the tow vehicle's rear end?
5. What if the coach spring mount on a TT or 5'er should suddenly fail?
6. What if the tow vehicle's timing belt should breakl?
7. Etc.?
8. Etc.?

Only a vanishingly small chance of any of that happening you say .... yeah that's right .... but if any of that or similar stuff happens, the loss of life and property of the both the towed combination and vehicles around it would be a tragedy that could have maybe been reduced drastically by a slower running speed of the tow combination.

The same old same old applies .... speed kills. California's 55 MPH towing law is right on and I'm glad to be part of it.

You forgot one
9. What if you get hit by lighting
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

GW_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
This is a sticker I have on my motorcycle:

It's not the speed. it's the sudden stops.
Brant and Sylvia
2019 Ford F250
2015 Cedar Creek 38CK

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
In VA (IIRC) there was a sign in the 70 zone that 80mph is reckless driving, not just speeding.
bumpy

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
pnichols wrote:
bcbouy wrote:
so,if we stick to the speed limits,all those what ifs will not affect me or anyone else on the road,and all will be ok,but if i speed it's all death and destruction?sound logic.

Speed does not increase the probability of experiencing the what ifs. Speed only increases the negative results if one experiences the what ifs.

Stupid will always be a factor regardless.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
bcbouy wrote:
so,if we stick to the speed limits,all those what ifs will not affect me or anyone else on the road,and all will be ok,but if i speed it's all death and destruction?sound logic.

Speed does not increase the probability of experiencing the what ifs. Speed only increases the negative results if one experiences the what ifs.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
ramgunner wrote:
"Sure I do, I've been doing it for a long time. You don't know me or my skills. ?

I learned a long time ago when most people brag they have thirty years experience it really means they have one year experience repeated thirty times.

The true experts do not brag. They admit they are still learning, even after thirty years.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

bcbouy
Explorer
Explorer
2012 ram 2500 hemi crew cab sb 4x4 2015 northstar 850 sc 14.5 g3 guide custom fly fishing boat

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some folks pay attention to ratings, capacity and speed limits

Others don't either due to lack of knowledge, ignorance or don't recognize/adhere to them.

Lack of knowledge or ignorance can be overcome.

Those that choose to ignore...will continue to do so and justify their actions.

Such is the way of life!
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31