cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing a towed and a boat behind mh

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
This general subject has been tossed around from time to time.
Thinking seriously this will be the only way to take a boat with us when RVing. the Motorhome 40ft total, towed about 22 ft including hitch and tow bars then and perhaps the pontoon boat and trailer I want 28 ft total.
I would be towing, in the east to Alabama coast, from Tn, an d from Tn to Michigan and out west I'm not certain where except Oklahoma near the Cherokee Nation.
Is towing two vehicles with total length 80-90ft length legal? still anywhere? Air brakes on coach and towed and surge brakes on boat trailer, or should I convert trailer to air brakes?
43 REPLIES 43

Homer1
Explorer
Explorer
Where are you going to overnight with that much length? I have been unfortunate in the past to be overnighting next some towing two vehicles. They tend to take up way too much room, being a navigation hazard to others entering or leaving the campground.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
JAXFL wrote:
Now if you can get a pontoon boat that you can drive the car onto and just pull the 1 trailer.

I think they call it a barge, not a pontoon boat. ๐Ÿ™‚

If you're double towing and 80'long, stay out of Pennsylvania. It could get expensive.

SolidAxleDurang
Explorer
Explorer
Any time you ask "is something legal" on this forum, you are guaranteed to get lots of misinformation and scare tactics from members.

I suggest you research it yourself. Understand the laws where you plan on travel. And then decide for yourself.

I have yet to see a "towing laws" compilation website that wasn't incorrect.
TV = 15 Ram 3500 Dually 6.7 / CC-LB / CTD / Aisin / 3.42 / 4wd / EBrake
5er = 12 Keystone Avalanche 330RE
Toys = 08 Kawasaki Brutie Force 650i 4x4 ( x2 ๐Ÿ™‚ ) 14 Arctic Cat Wildcat 1000

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
All I could afford wrote:
Agree with Sch911 on the first trailer being required to be a fifth wheel, if double trailers are allowed at all.

Secondly, a pontoon boat doesn't seem like it would work well on a stacked trailer like in the previous posters picture. V nose boat much more appropriate for that kind of trailer.
Well you both would be wrong. You need to call each state you plan on going through for the legality.

That's what I did when towing a jet-ski behind a travel trailer.

JAXFL
Explorer
Explorer
Now if you can get a pontoon boat that you can drive the car onto and just pull the 1 trailer.
Happy Trails
JAXFL
2008 3100LTD Sun Seeker
2008 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Auto Toad

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with Sch911 on the first trailer being required to be a fifth wheel, if double trailers are allowed at all.

Secondly, a pontoon boat doesn't seem like it would work well on a stacked trailer like in the previous posters picture. V nose boat much more appropriate for that kind of trailer.
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
You should do some research on your own for the specific states you will be traveling. This forum has a bias against towing tandem, and much of the info you will get is inaccurate.

I would say your length is going to be your biggest hold back. The only states that I know that have length limitations near what you are proposing are WY and MT.

I will say that I towed many thousands of miles with my truck, 5er, and boat where my total length was over 75', and never got any trouble going through states with much shorter restrictions. That was my experience, and a risk I was willing to take, but I am not sure yours will be the same.

There has been one of those stacker trailers used for sale near me for a couple of years. Interesting concept, but it looks like it would need a pretty light boat. Might be worth considering for your situation.

And, for the record, there are not many states that actually restrict tandem towing to require the first trailer to be a fifthweel. But again, I would advise to do your own research on the states you will travel through and not rely on this forum for info on this specific subject.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
I could be wrong but, I haven't heard of any state that allows two towed vehicles when the first is not a fifth wheel. And can't think of any way this could be done safely???
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Many eastern states have a 65' total length restriction and many get away with being a little over, but not 80+'. A stacker trailer like the above picture is your best bet.

When stopped and after paying the fine you could separate and have the DW drive one of the rigs.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

bid_time
Nomad II
Nomad II
I think you will find it is legal in very few states to tow two bumper pull trailers; and Michigan is not one of them.

Since you mentioned Michigan I will say this: It is legal in Michigan if you have a truck towing a 5th wheel, and behind the 5er tow a boat. But it is not legal for a MH to tow a toad with a boat behind the toad.

There is also a length restriction and it is a lot less than 80-feet, it is 65-feet max.

Markiemark32
Explorer
Explorer
Saw this once while out on a adventure:

------>

Markiemark:C
Banned member for posting Customer satisfaction maybe catching up : http://rvmiles.com/camping-world-investors-file-class-action-after-stocks-fall-60/
OK to ban per Mark F.

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Not legal to double tow on Alabama. Wanted to do that with my fifth wheel.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

JAXFL
Explorer
Explorer
Triple towing is illegal in most states unless the state you live in and have a license for it allows it. Check with the HWY Patrol for the law that covers it.
Happy Trails
JAXFL
2008 3100LTD Sun Seeker
2008 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Auto Toad

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most pontoon boat trailers I have seen do not even have brakes. The weight is minimal. Unless it's a large heavy boat most boat trailers don't have brakes as well if they do they are surge brakes because of the water.

As far as length you need to check with the states you go through because they vary. Some have a max length of 65'. Some states it's illegal to double tow and some require a license to do so.